How much do you normally spend on a new helmet?

clearviewx

Been there
Thread starter
I was just wondering what others typically spend on a new helmet? Thanks for your input.
 
That all depends on what you want out of your helmet. I think I paid around $225 for mine. There are cheaper ones out there, and you can end up paying a whole bunch for a lid if you so desire as well. It's all up to you.
 
I never had a good helmet until the CB1100. Then I bought a $500 Shoei J-Cruise. In addition to the safety and comfort improvements, the quiteness of the helmet has been a huge bonus. No regrets on the purchase.

I must say, though, that having such a good helmet will force me to buy a top box when I can afford it. I really don't like leaving this good helmet hanging on the side of the bike.
 
My last Shoei Air-GT wanderer (LOVE the internal sun visor) was around $700CAD. I've never really subscribed to the junk after 5 years philosophy of helmet makers, so I sort of view helmets as capital assets that I can get 8-10 years out of -- assuming no drops or crashes of course.

As others have said, you can get a good full-face for around $200. With the higher priced helmets you are basically paying for quietness, lack of buffeting and better ventilation/fog resistance. All luxuries, but nice if you do longer distance rides.
 
My Biltwell 3/4 helmet was just over $100. Definitely the least expensive of the bunch. I've had a couple early model Scorpion EXO helmets (models 500 & 700, I think) and those were around $150/$200. My Bell Vortex is probably next in line at around $180. Both my Bell RS-1 and Bullitt were around the $400 mark. I'm pretty sure the most expensive helmet I've owned was my Arai Vector. I believe I paid around $500 for it. These prices don't include the variety of face shields I've purchased! Darn, that's a lot money ...

So, I guess the answer is from $100 to $500 and everything in between!
 
I paid about $ 250.00 for a shoei open face 3/4 helmet ,had lots of helmets but this one matches my 2013 standard, plus the quality is outstanding!! Noise level , fit and comfort.
 
A good helmet can be had for <$200 if they fit properly. This last winter I decided I wanted a modular. The HJC didn't fit me, a S&S did, but I fell in love with the comfort of the Shoei Neotec so home it came. $520 local. Wife didn't bat an eye since its a protective piece.
 
Thread starter
Forum members are spending way more on helmets than I thought. I thought most people would be in the $150.00 or so range.
 
I've got 9 HJC's and 1 Bell. Pretty sure I've never spent over $125 for one. Mostly $69-$99
 
I'm in the $500 range, but only use the one helmet and plan to get 5 years of service out of it before buying another lid to replace it.
 
Paid around $400 for my Nolan N-103 and I'm still using it as my main helmet but have an HJC open face for the hot weather. I would like to get a Schuberth but am put off by the price.
 
I buy on sale but really prefer Shoei, they fit my head and seem to be quiet.
Figure $300 for a good helmet, $200 for a safe helmet.
Best money I spent was for custom fitted ear plugs.
 
Two Schuberth's. Each was well over $500. I chose them for the fit and quietness. I would have been fine paying less for something else if I could have found comparable fit and quality.
 
I know this is gonna sound strange, but I wear a Gmax full modular snow mobile helmet, cost about $125.

I got it for the double wall face shield which helps keep the helmet cool in summer.

ralph
 
I find this thread very interesting since I spent a far amount of time
in the industry selling helmets. After 25 years I can say everyone has a different idea what value they wish to place on a helmet.
By the way I have seen the science behind it and it does not matter
what you pay for it . It still is only good for 5-6 years and it's done.
 
All my helmets are Bell and Biltwell 3/4 open face that I paid less then 130.00 for, I do have one Bell modular that I paid 200.00 for and this one gets used the least, I have problems with headaches caused by my neck area spine, the modular is kinda heavy and hurts to wear, not the helmet fault though.
 
I like HJC helmets for their fit and reasonable price.
I can afford more expensive helmets, but I'm not sure I would be getting much more for the additional cost.
I've only ever had one crash and ended up sliding on my face in an HJC flip-up.
The helmet was trashed, but held together; the flip-up did not disengage and the shield stayed in place. It saved me from some terrible injuries.
That was good enough for me, and as CA200 advises, I replace them about every 5-6 years - or sooner if they get shabby.
Can't stand wearing anything shabby :D
 
Back
Top