How long has your CB sat

The ferret_imp said:
My bikes get ridden fairly regularly, even in the winter, although my full fairing bikes get the call on most of the winter rides. All of the winter rides below freezing lol. The longest my CB has sat is 26 days and I felt guilty letting it sit that long, but the longest I have gone without riding is 3 days this winter. The FJR getting the call most of the time.

It's funny but a conversation I had onetime with Dale Walksler the owner of Wheels Thru Time Museum in Maggie Valley N.C. was an eye opener. He regularly gets in bikes that havent been run in nearly 100 years. I asked him how he prepped a bike that hadn't seen the light of day in years. He told me gets the old bike on the bench, puts fresh gas in them, makes sure there is oil in the crankcase, and then fires them up. He said motorcycles are mechanical things, that have no idea if they were turned off yesterday or 100 years ago.

Thinking about that made me wonder how long some of our CBs sit with out that little spark arcing in their 4 little spark plugs ignigting fuel. Like Teamvicegrip. Understand the circumstances, but can't imagine hi bike sitting there without breathing life for almost a year and a half.
I reckon one thing that comes to mind is humidity or odd times of condensation in the inactive cylinder walls building up iron oxide. Maybe if stored in a shelter, the first run simply scrapes any oxide off the walls, and assuming no piston ring seizure? I'd probably treat each cylinder with lubrication or an anti-seize treatment prior to take-off.

Maybe modern engines with their fancy cylinder wall alloys, or cylinder wall ceramic coatings (no sleeve inserts) don't have this problem anymore.
 
Took mine out Sunday for the first time since last Sept...Started right up ran perfectly.

I've been busy wearing the new off the K1600.

Rode them both Sunday. Two totally different machines. I'm still impressed how much zip the CB has. Even with half the horse power, 200 lbs lighter makes a difference!
 
Mine has been sitting since late December when I had heart surgery. My doctor has cleared me to start riding again and the rain has finally stopped so I'm riding today. Forecast is clear and 75F.
 
redbirds_imp said:
Mine has been sitting since late December when I had heart surgery. My doctor has cleared me to start riding again and the rain has finally stopped so I'm riding today. Forecast is clear and 75F.
Awesome turnaround redbirds. Be well, ride safely and enjoy being back!
 
^ +1 Glad you’re back Redbirds!! The force is with you ;)
 
VTR1000F_imp said:
two years and counting. With 4000 miles on the clock it will be a nice barnfind one day.
That doesn't sound good, VTR1000F. Is everything OK?
 
Thread starter
yea VTR what's up? Sounds ominous
 
I’ve ridden every month on my CB. I’m traveling today so I don’t have access to my log book, but it can’t be more than 59 days and it’s probably closer to 45 days.
 
February was a super low mileage snow month (< 30 kms). So it sat essentially all month. Now we are currently back down to well below 0C (e.g. -17C), so little is melting. The upshot, the sun is out earlier. It won't be long.
 
I last filled it with fuel before putting it away on 10/31/2018. So a full four months with no end in sight. Yesterday morning it was -13F, today it has warmed up to a delightful -6F. At a minimum it will be another month, maybe two.
Jim
 
tinboatcapt_imp said:
I last filled it with fuel before putting it away on 10/31/2018. So a full four months with no end in sight. Yesterday morning it was -13F, today it has warmed up to a delightful -6F. At a minimum it will be another month, maybe two.
Jim
Sorry to hear Jim. Minnesota must be exceptionally challenging. Probably not unlike Ottawa Canada based CB owners.
 
Thread starter
One of my best friends lives in Minnesota. Every winter he curses his ancestors for settling in that area. Of course due to job (since retired) kids and grandkids he is stuck living there. He does go to Mexico for 2 months every winter just to get away from the snow and cold.

I'm not sure , as a matter of fact I'm positive, that I could not live where winter may last for 8 months of the year. Our 2 months of winter is too much for me.

Due to yesterdays freak snow storm I am stuck in the house today and maybe tomorrow and it's driving me nuts. Shouldn't be a shut in the house in the month of March due to snow/ice.
 
The ferret_imp said:
One of my best friends lives in Minnesota. Every winter he curses his ancestors for settling in that area. Of course due to job (since retired) kids and grandkids he is stuck living there. He does go to Mexico for 2 months every winter just to get away from the snow and cold.

I'm not sure , as a matter of fact I'm positive, that I could not live where winter may last for 8 months of the year. Our 2 months of winter is too much for me.

Due to yesterdays freak snow storm I am stuck in the house today and maybe tomorrow and it's driving me nuts. Shouldn't be a shut in the house in the month of March due to snow/ice.
Sorry to tell you, but IMHO 2 months of winter is not a real reason for complaint..lol
I have to wait 6 months, do I like it?, NO... but as of 2019 winter, I'll be away from where I live for at least 2 months+...
Yesterday just call my friend from Europe +20*C/68F
Have a safe :biker: EVERY day
:)
 
Yes. The climate in the Peoples Democratic Republic of Minnesota is challenging. The current iteration of the off season is actually what I remember the winters of the late 60's and 70's to have been. The trick back then was to put a tennis ball on the car radio antenna so you could be seen by other traffic over the drifts and snow banks at intersections. It is like that again this year.

Much of the climate change noise probably rises from the series of warmer than normal winters we have had the past few years. as welcome as they were, it spawned complacency.

My bi...complaining rises out of having just returned from five weeks in the southern tropics. I'm suffering 'climate shock'. like the other snow birds, I find a way to take a break from winter. This winter it just wasn't over yet.

Jim
 
tinboatcapt_imp said:
Yes. The climate in the Peoples Democratic Republic of Minnesota is challenging. The current iteration of the off season is actually what I remember the winters of the late 60's and 70's to have been. The trick back then was to put a tennis ball on the car radio antenna so you could be seen by other traffic over the drifts and snow banks at intersections. It is like that again this year.

Much of the climate change noise probably rises from the series of warmer than normal winters we have had the past few years. as welcome as they were, it spawned complacency.

My bi...complaining rises out of having just returned from five weeks in the southern tropics. I'm suffering 'climate shock'. like the other snow birds, I find a way to take a break from winter. This winter it just wasn't over yet.

Jim
1986, when I still was a student, a German friend invited me to stay some weeks in his flat in Orlanda, FL. He had his first job as an engineer for a German company, who sent him for a one year project to Orlando.

That was February, March. When we took a bath in the Atlantic ocean at Daytona beach at that time, they asked us, if we were from Alaska, as only those guys would take a bath in the Atlantic during winter time.

Water temperature was 24°C btw.
 
Back
Top