How long has your CB sat

the Ferret

Road warrior
Thread starter
What is the longest your CB has sat without being ridden?
 
Several months. Haven't ridden my DLX since early November, though I did roll it out for a photo op with the Monkey in mid-December.
 
Every winter, mine sits from early November until about late April or early May of the spring weather is awful.
 
2 weeks.. Though over the winter, I haven't managed to ride it much more often than every two weeks. I try to spread the love with my bikes, and with the weather what it is. I usually manage once per week riding. Going out on the CB this afternoon though....and if I have enough time, I'll take the R Nine T for a spin too.
 
...so far only during winter season, which in GTA/Ontario is from Nov to mid April, or roughly speaking up-to 6 months = too long :s
 
7 MONTHS LAST WINTER FROM OCTOBER 2017 TO MAY 2018 :(

The summer of 2018 was no better. Winter remained until May. We sold our house in late May and had our household goods sent to storage. Fortunately Penny's sister took us in for the summer. But my CB was stored in our aunt's garage a hour away. I had to rely on Penny to drive me there and back in the car.

Then there was the terrible weather. I don't remember such a cold, windy and rainy summer. :(

When we finally moved into our new home in mid-August, there was a lot to do. I did not get to ride until mid-September, and my last ride was early October.

So it looks like my CB will spend another 7 months in the garage. On the really bitter cold winter days I pat her on the butt and tell her. "Aren't you glad you are a motorcycle". :thumbsup:
 
Nortoon_imp said:
7 MONTHS LAST WINTER FROM OCTOBER 2017 TO MAY 2018 :(

The summer of 2018 was no better. Winter remained until May. We sold our house in late May and had our household goods sent to storage. Fortunately Penny's sister took us in for the summer. But my CB was stored in our aunt's garage a hour away. I had to rely on Penny to drive me there and back in the car.

Then there was the terrible weather. I don't remember such a cold, windy and rainy summer. :(

When we finally moved into our new home in mid-August, there was a lot to do. I did not get to ride until mid-September, and my last ride was early October.

So it looks like my CB will spend another 7 months in the garage. On the really bitter cold winter days I pat her on the butt and tell her. "Aren't you glad you are a motorcycle". :thumbsup:
Last year, here on the coast, it was just the opposite. Lots of sun but also very hot and humid which set records for high temps. We usually get very little of each.
It was so uncomfortable you couldn't ride and enjoy it - and we're being told "Get used to it. This may be the new normal."
In the meantime, CB is tucked away in my dry and warm basement where I see it many times a day.
 
It's probably been 7 months since I threw a leg over. I've had some personal stuff going on and a bit of an arthritis issue with my hip on top of that. I have no intentions of getting rid of it, but for now ridding is a luxury.
 
Mine’s sat for a couple of months due to travel.

Randy B, hope everything is OK.
 
Longest probably two months and that was last year. Winters along the north shore (Lake Ontario) can be amazing, but the last many years it has been: Winter. Worse, weather is so mixed that snow/ice often thaws and mixes with the road salt to create an awful brine that just simply gets everywhere.

That said, last ride was three weeks ago, albeit, short (< 30 minutes).

- - -

I feel for any rider in the Ottawa region. The riding season for at least street bikes gets robbed. That really hurts, kinda like the hockey team. Ottawa/Quebec Hull region is a pleasant place to ride during the warm season.
 
33faeeebbbcbf032cc70f4f4b5af7e5a.jpg

Almost 3 months since I last filled the tank for winter storage. Had it not been a 63 degree day , it would have stayed covered in the garage a couple of more months. Burnt a whole .6 gallon today. And, as you can see by the lack of fillups, September was literally a “wash”. Rain and more rain.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
Randy B_imp said:
It's probably been 7 months since I threw a leg over. I've had some personal stuff going on and a bit of an arthritis issue with my hip on top of that. I have no intentions of getting rid of it, but for now ridding is a luxury.
Randy, having the CB just beside yourself is almost like riding it...get well :thumbsup:
 
I put mine away September 2018 and will not be able to use it again till mid June 2020. That will be 16 months. Life as a sailor has huge drawbacks some times. Living at the very top of Wisconsin does not help either.

I will have to work on the ship all of the 2019 summer riding months. Oh I might get a break at the end of September but it is not looking good. Plus I would break it out just to have to put it away in a few months and do the full winter prep again. It takes me a full day to do this. Ugh!

When my bikes are laid up for long periods I do a full winter storage prep on them. I do drain the gas and refill with fresh every year.

The longest I had a bike laid up was over 2 years. My 1986 Honda VFR mint condition. I do not ride it much. Worried about damaging it... body parts are not to be found. But when I do ride it... amazing bike still to this day.
 
Probably less than a week, except for when the dealer kept it for six weeks just to fix the taillight assembly.
 
teamvisegrip_imp said:
I put mine away September 2018 and will not be able to use it again till mid June 2020. That will be 16 months. Life as a sailor has huge drawbacks some times. Living at the very top of Wisconsin does not help either.

I will have to work on the ship all of the 2019 summer riding months. Oh I might get a break at the end of September but it is not looking good. Plus I would break it out just to have to put it away in a few months and do the full winter prep again. It takes me a full day to do this. Ugh!

When my bikes are laid up for long periods I do a full winter storage prep on them. I do drain the gas and refill with fresh every year.

The longest I had a bike laid up was over 2 years. My 1986 Honda VFR mint condition. I do not ride it much. Worried about damaging it... body parts are not to be found. But when I do ride it... amazing bike still to this day.
*sigh* teamvisegrip. I feel for you.
 
Thread starter
My bikes get ridden fairly regularly, even in the winter, although my full fairing bikes get the call on most of the winter rides. All of the winter rides below freezing lol. The longest my CB has sat is 26 days and I felt guilty letting it sit that long, but the longest I have gone without riding is 3 days this winter. The FJR getting the call most of the time.

It's funny but a conversation I had onetime with Dale Walksler the owner of Wheels Thru Time Museum in Maggie Valley N.C. was an eye opener. He regularly gets in bikes that havent been run in nearly 100 years. I asked him how he prepped a bike that hadn't seen the light of day in years. He told me gets the old bike on the bench, puts fresh gas in them, makes sure there is oil in the crankcase, and then fires them up. He said motorcycles are mechanical things, that have no idea if they were turned off yesterday or 100 years ago.

Thinking about that made me wonder how long some of our CBs sit with out that little spark arcing in their 4 little spark plugs ignigting fuel. Like Teamvicegrip. Understand the circumstances, but can't imagine hi bike sitting there without breathing life for almost a year and a half.
 
Back
Top