How do you guys winterize??

This thread is worth reading for the humor, alone!
 
I still fog my bikes for winter storage, although I ran out of time this year prior to my back surgery so that step got skipped this year. Everything else was done though.

I have never done it on an I4 though, as I didn't know that trick as a 17 year old with my 82 CB900C back in '89. Is there an easy way to do it?
 
riderbob_imp said:
Hi Folks,
Pushed the limit this weekend as temps hit 50 and went for a spin. Just topped off the tank & stabilizer, changed the oil.
Question. Does anybody put teaspoon of oil in each cylinder at end of season to protect cylinder walls?
I used to do that for engines that would be idle for long periods of time (i.e. > 1 yr.). For a few months of winter storage, I wouldn't bother. Plus, modern bikes now have gadgets like oxygen sensors and cat converters that may not respond well to the semi burned oil in the exhaust when you start it back up.
 
Think Flynrider's has good point. Technology & even oil is different today than 25 years ago, its probably an unnecessary step. I'll pass on it.
Thanks for input.
 
EmptySea that is a scary pic on snow and ice ..... a few days in the 40's this week here so i am not riding . have an electric blanket though:thumbsup:
 
We are supposed to get an inch of snow starting at noon Saturday. I will be riding Sat morning before it accumulates, but temps will be in the teens starting tomorrow morning. Crank up the electric grips and jacket liner lol
 
Winterized....


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
825b5fc3bb70b806be2f284e9787f487.jpg
 
Just reading through this thread. My last ride was at the end of November, just prior to some major complications with a spinal injury. Finally had surgery in late December and am just getting back to thinking about being in a place where I feel well enough to actually enjoy a short ride. I did no winter storage here in Atlanta, GA. I’ve rolled the bike a few inches in the garage where it’s stored, and started it once, but that’s it.
Long story short: there’s no real chance I’ve done any real damage by not doing most of the suggestions mentioned, right? I should probably just check tire pressure and get out for a ride soon? The winter and my injury caught me off guard. I hate to think I could have done any damage that could’ve been avoided.
Thanks for listening to me ramble!


2013 Honda CB1100
 
I don’t do anything special either. Change the oil and keep the battery on a tender is about it. I do work the brakes and clutch on both bikes as I have read about problems on the ST1300 board about problems with them if not exercised.
 
Chandler I would top it off with fresh gas if it's low and dump a few ounces of Seafoam in it, check the tire pressures and then you should be good.
 
What Ferret said. I forgot that as I always have it in my gas.
 
Back
Top