Honda Dealer or Independent(N GA)

tomcat_imp

First service completed
Thread starter
My recently purchased 2014 at 4100 miles has the original tires. No observable tire issues but I want to replace them. There is a nearby dealer in Canton, GA and I don't relish the thought of riding into Atlanta. Any recommendations or experience with businesses in N GA area?
 
One option, if you are able, is to remove the wheels from the bike and take them in your car or truck to any bike shop. Thats what I do and they change the tires while I wait and no labor charge to remove and reinstall them.
 
Lord Popgun_imp said:
One option, if you are able, is to remove the wheels from the bike and take them in your car or truck to any bike shop. Thats what I do and they change the tires while I wait and no labor charge to remove and reinstall them.
That's what I recommend too and exactly how I get new tires. You only pay for installing the tire and balancing the wheel as LP said.
In my case, the dealership isn't far away and I take them over one at a time.
Removing and installing the wheels has taught me new skills.
 
Tomcat, awhile back I ordered a new front tire for my BMW R1150RT and, when I called the only BMW dealer around me, they told me they don't "work" on anything older than ten years. After some haggling, he agreed to mount the tire if I brought in the wheel. I called a couple more places and found the same problem. So I took off the wheel (easy job on that bike) and went to another place which said to bring it in, no problem. Just something to check before you start.
 
Nachodaddy_imp said:
Tomcat, awhile back I ordered a new front tire for my BMW R1150RT and, when I called the only BMW dealer around me, they told me they don't "work" on anything older than ten years. After some haggling, he agreed to mount the tire if I brought in the wheel. I called a couple more places and found the same problem. So I took off the wheel (easy job on that bike) and went to another place which said to bring it in, no problem. Just something to check before you start.
This was the same unwritten practice with popular garages in southern Ontario, Canada back in the early 80's.

Essentially, for example, they don't wish to own the risk of snapping or stripping an engine bolt because it is seized in tightly due to bike age.
 
Nachodaddy_imp said:
Tomcat, awhile back I ordered a new front tire for my BMW R1150RT and, when I called the only BMW dealer around me, they told me they don't "work" on anything older than ten years. After some haggling, he agreed to mount the tire if I brought in the wheel. I called a couple more places and found the same problem. So I took off the wheel (easy job on that bike) and went to another place which said to bring it in, no problem. Just something to check before you start.
Of all the absurd things I've heard over a lifetime of listening to absurd things ...

How does this sit with with you, Nachodaddy, as a man who has lovingly maintained a Model T Ford?
 
Lord Popgun_imp said:
One option, if you are able, is to remove the wheels from the bike and take them in your car or truck to any bike shop. Thats what I do and they change the tires while I wait and no labor charge to remove and reinstall them.
I do this also and get the tires mounted and balanced for a greatly reduced price. Also have the peace of mind knowing the wheels are properly installed and torque settings are correct.
 
Cormanus_imp said:
Nachodaddy_imp said:
Tomcat, awhile back I ordered a new front tire for my BMW R1150RT and, when I called the only BMW dealer around me, they told me they don't "work" on anything older than ten years. After some haggling, he agreed to mount the tire if I brought in the wheel. I called a couple more places and found the same problem. So I took off the wheel (easy job on that bike) and went to another place which said to bring it in, no problem. Just something to check before you start.
Of all the absurd things I've heard over a lifetime of listening to absurd things ...

How does this sit with with you, Nachodaddy, as a man who has lovingly maintained a Model T Ford?
Of all the absurd things I've heard over a lifetime of listening to absurd things ...

How does this sit with with you, Nachodaddy, as a man who has lovingly maintained a Model T Ford? Cormanus, I do understand their position. The owner simply wants a new tire installed on his bike and doesn't understand that the wheel bearings are badly worn, or the brakes are bad, or the shocks are leaking, for instance, and he is faced with a much more expensive repair than he is prepared for. People who are naive about machinery, may let a motorcycle sit for years and then be incensed that a repairman insists on fixing something that he knows will cause the rider more expense, or worse, serious trouble or injury if it isn't addressed. Unfortunately, it doesn't take many customers like that to convince a shop to limit the age of the bike they will work on. It doesn't help that there are shops that will try to sell you everything from a new headlight to a complete over-haul if they can get by with it and lots of riders who want to get another fifty miles out of that worn chain or sprocket.
 
Thread starter
Thanks for the input. Will check the service manual and see if I have the tools and equipment.
 
Nachodaddy_imp said:
Cormanus_imp said:
Nachodaddy_imp said:
Tomcat, awhile back I ordered a new front tire for my BMW R1150RT and, when I called the only BMW dealer around me, they told me they don't "work" on anything older than ten years. After some haggling, he agreed to mount the tire if I brought in the wheel. I called a couple more places and found the same problem. So I took off the wheel (easy job on that bike) and went to another place which said to bring it in, no problem. Just something to check before you start.
Of all the absurd things I've heard over a lifetime of listening to absurd things ...

How does this sit with with you, Nachodaddy, as a man who has lovingly maintained a Model T Ford?
Of all the absurd things I've heard over a lifetime of listening to absurd things ...

How does this sit with with you, Nachodaddy, as a man who has lovingly maintained a Model T Ford? Cormanus, I do understand their position. The owner simply wants a new tire installed on his bike and doesn't understand that the wheel bearings are badly worn, or the brakes are bad, or the shocks are leaking, for instance, and he is faced with a much more expensive repair than he is prepared for. People who are naive about machinery, may let a motorcycle sit for years and then be incensed that a repairman insists on fixing something that he knows will cause the rider more expense, or worse, serious trouble or injury if it isn't addressed. Unfortunately, it doesn't take many customers like that to convince a shop to limit the age of the bike they will work on. It doesn't help that there are shops that will try to sell you everything from a new headlight to a complete over-haul if they can get by with it and lots of riders who want to get another fifty miles out of that worn chain or sprocket.
You are very understanding, Nachodaddy. While I understand your points, I'd have expected a dealer to be able to operate at a slightly more sophisticated level and be able to deal with problems like owners not being aware of the state their bike is really in. However, I guess it ends up giving good work to smaller operators, and that's not a bad thing at all.
 
I always look for the smaller shops, where the mechanics, not technicians, have a bit of gray on the roof. Most modern dealers/shops only want to plug into the data port, not use skill and experience to troubleshoot and diagnose a problem 'cause it's not cost effective so not profitable. I found a great guy near me here in TX who will be my go-to guy.
 
Back
Top