Honda Anodized Meter Cover - BEWARE!!!!!

dagersh_imp

First service completed
Thread starter
Hi Guys,

I installed the anodized gold meter cover on my bike. It is a REALLY nice piece.

However, when cleaning your existing black plastic meter cover DO NOT USE BRAKE CLEANER!!!!

Use some alcohol. The Brake cleaner immediately crazed the plastic.

Its not noticable with the anodized cover on it, but it will be very much so if I were to remove it.

Hope this helps!

Gersh
 
dagersh_imp said:
Hi Guys,

I installed the anodized gold meter cover on my bike. It is a REALLY nice piece.

However, when cleaning your existing black plastic meter cover DO NOT USE BRAKE CLEANER!!!!

Use some alcohol. The Brake cleaner immediately crazed the plastic.

Its not noticable with the anodized cover on it, but it will be very much so if I were to remove it.

Hope this helps!

Gersh
Hey Gersh,

What's this gold meter cover you speak of? The top shock bolts are the only gold accessory I see from Honda. Could you share a picture? I would love to add some gold accents to the bike.
 
dagersh_imp said:
Hi Guys,

I installed the anodized gold meter cover on my bike. It is a REALLY nice piece.

However, when cleaning your existing black plastic meter cover DO NOT USE BRAKE CLEANER!!!!

Use some alcohol. The Brake cleaner immediately crazed the plastic.

Its not noticable with the anodized cover on it, but it will be very much so if I were to remove it.

Hope this helps!

Gersh
What was it about the brake cleaner that led you to believe it would be OK on plastic? How was it labelled?

I have used lacquer thinner many times to remove the reside of double sided tape (in the days before GO-Gone), but when I used it on the dash of my GMC Envoy the result was a mess. :(
 
For many years the Honda spray cleaner was actually made by Original Bike Spirits (it may still be). Within the last couple of years the Honda version was changed to include carnauba wax, which in my opinion makes the product less desirable because it now smears a bit when applied. (And it tends to clog the aerosol nozzle.)

You can still buy the old formula used by Honda simply by buying the version offered by its manufacturer: Original Bike Spirits Spray Cleaner & Polish. It has the same great smell and cleaning/shine of the old Honda spray because it IS the old Honda spray. Google it and you'll see that many thousands of motorcyclists swear by it, it really is that good.

Don't be suckered into overpaying for it, it should only be about $6 for a 14 ounce can (here's where I get mine):

Pardon Our Interruption
 
Ok, good to know.

Your supplier only has stores in the midwest and I can't buy it from their website. Amazon sells it for about $14 with shipping, but I discovered that Advance Auto Parts sells it in their stores. Mine didn't have it in stock but they special ordered for me; $7.00 a can.
 
$7 a can is not bad at all, but some of those places that charge $14-$16 a can with shipping are just nuts IMHO.
 
Thread starter
Thanks for the advise guys. I have used brake cleaner on plastic before - only if I spray into a cloth first, never directly on the surface - and never had a problem. I will check out he Original Bike Spirits.

CBville - I will get you a pic on my bike. Its a Honda Part, so far offered overseas. Its a really nice piece. Available from Web Bike Japan:

1e857907c205fa3f6ad7adff5068ea26.jpg
 
Back
Top