Hibernation

You must wake up ravenous!

I'm fortunate that I live in an area that allows me to ride year round. And, although we don't get much rain, I have a complete set of rain gear that I use when it does in fact rain. I don't mind riding in the rain (with the proper gear) but hate cleaning the bike afterwards!

Wishing you well on your hibernation. May you dream of empty roads and sticky tires.
 
We are known for having some rough winters here but it seems I'm still able to get out a couple times a month or so just to keep the CB from getting too sleepy. It stays in a warm garage hooked up to a tender and filled with gas/stabilizer, ready to go if temps get above 35 and roads are clear....
 
My goal is not to ride in the rain or below 40 degrees. Even in Oregon I can usually find a few days a month during the winter to ride a bit.

As a young idiot I rode every day, rain, cold, and even when snow was on the roadsides. Now I complain just walking to the pickup in the rain. I'm understanding the snowbird concept more and more.
 
I'm still an idiot ..at 64! Lol

I missed 7 days in November, 5 of those due to a snowstorm and ridden 3 of 5 in December, so far.
 
1100rider_imp said:
Me and my CB are in hibernation until next spring. Yes, I am a fair weather rider. How about you?
I'm with you. All my bikes are in my warm and dry basement for the winter.
Winters here are far too cold and brutal to even think about riding until next March at the earliest.
It's true that we often get mild spells, but riding in all that salt slush that can hide ice patches is far too risky - and that's not counting the damage salt will do to the bike.
No thanks. I'm retired and can ride anytime I like in warmer weather so I can be patient.
 
Riding year-round here in Oregon is easy enough to do with rain gear and insulating layers.

Still, up until a couple of years ago, I'd park my bike for the winter and only truly regretted it during the rare really nice winter days. A sunny winter day here in NW Oregon typically means that the winds (at times rather strong) are blowing in from the east — dropping the temperature considerably.

At my workplace, motorcycle commuters are able to park in the covered lot adjacent to the office for free. Between the free parking and lower fuel costs, it's hard not to do so. Besides, in all but the crappiest weather, when I'm riding my commute is usually the highlight of my workday.
 
1100rider_imp said:
Me and my CB are in hibernation until next spring. Yes, I am a fair weather rider. How about you?
Depends upon one's definition of "fair weather".

I do not ride in sleet or snow,
but my bike stays fueled and ready to go.
I may not ride far when the days go cold,
but if the path is dry and my tires hold
with a low hanging sun shining gold,
I wil ride in winter until I'm too old.
 
Sleep well, 1100rider. :)
 
EmptySea_imp said:
1100rider_imp said:
Me and my CB are in hibernation until next spring. Yes, I am a fair weather rider. How about you?
Depends upon one's definition of "fair weather".

I do not ride in sleet or snow,
but my bike stays fueled and ready to go.
I may not ride far when the days go cold,
but if the path is dry and my tires hold
with a low hanging sun shining gold,
I wil ride in winter until I'm too old.
Depends upon one's definition of "fair weather".

I do not ride in sleet or snow,
but my bike stays fueled and ready to go.
I may not ride far when the days go cold,
but if the path is dry and my tires hold
with a low hanging sun shining gold,
I will ride in winter until I'm too old.

Very cool Empty Sea..I like that. Did you make that up?

Finally quit raining about 1:00, so I waited an hour for the cars to dry out tracks and took a 32 mile scooter ride down to the Yamaha shop and then home the long way.

 
Ferret, what could be better than a Yamaha shop with a Honda logo on the window?
 
Honda-Yamaha maybe soon to be either Kawasaki or Triumph too. it was originally Moto East Yamaha when I worked there. Eventually took on Honda when the Honda dealer went out of biz due to mismanagement.
 
I love this whole multi-vehicle dealer thing. Gone are days when people were focused on selling only one brand and they could bag out the opposition bikes. It requires a whole new level of sophistication in being able to justify apparent contradictions. Like: "Well, I know I just said that Yammie was the best bike ever made, and it is, but there's just something about this CB1100 that makes it better ..." Blah, blah, blah. :D
 
My bikes are in semi-hibernation, full tank with Stabil and hooked up to battery tenders.
I'm always hoping for a sunny, winters day around 45 degrees, and then I'll go out. The past 45 years that I've been a rider always had two or three days every month during the winter where I could get out.
But last winter was the worst ever. Snow and freezing temps from October all the way through until spring. Hoping for a more normal one this time around. (Fingers crossed)
 
I try to have my motorcycle always ready for a ride.

However, when temperatures are below freezing point I wouldn't go out. Can be very slippery and also roads get salted here.

We may have days or weeks of permafrost here during winter time. But then, there may also be some quit warm days, up to 10-15°C. Then it's fun to go out for a ride, if roads are dry. However, because of the salt, you should then clean your bike after the ride.
 
metallyguitarded_imp said:
I'm a young idiot at heart.
The ferret_imp said:
I'm still an idiot ..at 64! Lol

I missed 7 days in November, 5 of those due to a snowstorm and ridden 3 of 5 in December, so far.
I wasn't meaning others who ride year long but just myself as an idiot, now an older idiot :)

Guth_imp said:
Riding year-round here in Oregon is easy enough to do with rain gear and insulating layers.

Still, up until a couple of years ago, I'd park my bike for the winter and only truly regretted it during the rare really nice winter days. A sunny winter day here in NW Oregon typically means that the winds (at times rather strong) are blowing in from the east — dropping the temperature considerably.

At my workplace, motorcycle commuters are able to park in the covered lot adjacent to the office for free. Between the free parking and lower fuel costs, it's hard not to do so. Besides, in all but the crappiest weather, when I'm riding my commute is usually the highlight of my workday.
Today was a great day to ride! Mid 50s and dry.
 
Back
Top