Heated Grips - Honda OEM

Mark von Karlsbad_imp

First service completed
Thread starter
This weekend I installed the Honda OEM heated grips, so that's part nos:

08T50-MGE-101 - Honda Heated Grip Kit
08T70-MGC-D30 - CB1100 DLX attachment kit

I bought them from Gearhead, as I did the CB500 mirrors, no drama there. They are expensive, but they also fit perfectly, so you get what you pay for there.

Installation ===========================

The installation document clearly shows every step, but doesn't have any kind of an overview theme, so it just goes straight from one major step to the next, leaving me a little disoriented a couple of times. It would have helped to know:

Steps 1-3: General Dissasembly
Steps 4-10: Left Handgrip Installation
Steps 11-18: Remove a bunch of stuff to get to the throttle cable
Steps 19-33: Right Handgrip Installation, including throttle cable freeplay adjustment
Step 34: Reverse steps 1-3, 11-18.
Step 35-65: Install wiring harness.
Steps 66-68: Final general reassembly.

All of that was clear, *after* I was done. These really are "Ask no questions, just obey!" instructions, so sometimes I was scratching my head over why I was doing something.

Installation Notes ----------------------

Fuel Tank removal: You need the Honda shop manual to get the fuel tank off, that's not covered in the instructions. I got mine shortly after I bought the bike, just because I like to have one for every vehicle I buy. But if you don't already have one, you'll need to add the cost to the overall budget for this project.

Steps 5-6: Removing the left handgrip. I suppose I could have followed these steps and removed the original left grip intact by somehow injecting isopropyl alcohol under it, but it would have been a huge wrestling match, and I won't ever need the old grips anyway -- so I cut it off, which took 10 seconds.

Step 11-12: Removing the electronics cover. There are 5 clips that the instructions call for removal of, but only 3 of them need to come out to free the cover -- the top one and the back 2. The forward 2 do not need to be removed, and are very hard to get out, and back in -- a total waste of time.

Worth noting: You need to wiggle the throttle cables down and out of their slot in the electronics cover before you begin to slide the cover back to remove it. It's very hard to get the throttle cables out of the slot at all, and just about impossible if you've already popped the cover rearward out of its fully installed forward position - which of course I figured out the hard way.

Step 17: The "large hose" does need to be removed to get access to the throttle cable adjuster, but I could not figure out which of the other hoses was the "small hose", and I didn't need to remove any more hoses anyway to get to the adjuster.

Step 18: The illustration here shows the throttle cable adjuster in maximum-free-play position, but that still did not give enough cable play to get the new throttle grip hooked up. I had to slip the cable adjuster end out of its retaining slot (after loosening the retaining nuts) to get the whole thing with enough free play to hook the cables to the grip, and even then ....

Step 29: I wound up temporarily removing the right-side mirror to have enough free play in the throttle cables and the wire to get the right grip installed and hooked up. It may be possible to avoid that, but I could not make it work otherwise, it was just too tight.

Step 37: I think this picture is turned around, The harness boot needs to be slid on from the other end to provide good weather protection without straining the wire. Not a big deal, except of course that I didn't realize that until after I had done it "their way" and didn't like the result, so I got to enjoy a do-over.

Step 41a - 42: This seems to be calling for 2 connectors to be unplugged, but there's only 1, and it doesn't seem to be where the picture shows it -- it's near the top frame rail, not down in the 'v' of the frame section. But, it's the only plug that fits the connections, so it's hard to go too wrong. Also, the picture of the wiring harness in step 41 is totally not to scale, and confusing.

Basically, Steps 41-46 are way more complicated than the actual task in real life. Plug the harness in, get the boots over it, and tuck it in there. The diagram for routing the harness going forward in steps 45-51 is correct, however.

59a: The weakest part of the project. The plastic wire-cover tube does not begin to fit with the grip, so you have to fold it over and wrap the whole thing up with electrical tape -- not my idea of precision engineering.

Operation =====================================

So, I finally got everything buttoned up, and it was a cold and blustery day here in San Diego (by our standards, anyway), so time for a test ride. Result -- awesome! On the first, highest, position (3-blinks of the led), my hands got too hot after about 10 minutes so I went to 'Medium', and about 10 minutes after that I went down to 'Low', which was still very warm. I've never had a bike with heated grips before, so I'm loving it.

I've got some Grip Puppies I've been waiting to install, so I put them on after my test ride. I was concerned about the heat level with them on, but the grips get so hot I'm now not concerned at all. I'll make another post if I think there are any problems there after I've used them.

Bottom Line: Install was about as expected, everything fits, piping-hot motorcycle grips are really, really nice on a cold day!
 
Thanks for sharing! I am a little intimidated by this project but might give it a try.
San Diego gets cold enough for heated grips?
 
Thread starter
Dr Rock:

I'm sure it's all relative, but it was about 55 when I went out today, and those grips felt very nice indeed! We ride all year here, so going to work on a January morning when it's 45 out is not unusual.


dr_rock_imp said:
Thanks for sharing! I am a little intimidated by this project but might give it a try.
San Diego gets cold enough for heated grips?
 
Wow, man! Reading your account convinces me that I made the right call setting up an appointment with my dealer for next week to install my heated grip kit. I read the instructions 5 different times, and they baffled me and sent chills up my spine. Definitely above my pay grade :) Looking forward to the benefits, though. I had heated grips on an FJR that I owned for about a year, and they're about the best thing since sliced bread. - kvdv
 
Thread starter
I'm pretty 'handy', but I think any ordinary gearhead could do this, you've just got to take it a step at a time.

Of course, now that I've done it once, I could do it again in about 1/4 the time ...

kvdv_imp said:
Wow, man! Reading your account convinces me that I made the right call setting up an appointment with my dealer for next week to install my heated grip kit. I read the instructions 5 different times, and they baffled me and sent chills up my spine. Definitely above my pay grade :) Looking forward to the benefits, though. I had heated grips on an FJR that I owned for about a year, and they're about the best thing since sliced bread. - kvdv
 
Mark I copied and posted some of your excellent tips over into the" How To" Section. Thanks.
 
Got my left handle grip off with lots of air pressure .... and for sure you'll need the grip glue ...
I was laughing , when you mentioned on your first ride going every 10min one setting down .... did exactly the same thing ... I think as long as you take your time ... it's not that much of a big deal ... and yes ... study the entire instructions the day before helped to get that "overall idea". Your comments were definitely a good read ... thank you
 
Does the kit include integral grips that must be utilized? I really like my after-market gel grips!

Is the install kit for the '14 DLX exactly the same for a '13 STD?

Where is the controller located on the bike? Photo?

Thanks!!!!
 
Oly, go here for the OEM instructions: http://cssportal.css-club.net/honda/MCA/TERMS010.aspx This is installation instructions.

The heated grips have a button built in with a little light. You use your thumb and select 3 different levels of heat.

You do lose whatever grips are on the bike. Honda's heated grips replace them. The right side heated grip comes already on a new throttle tube so all you do there is undo and slide the old tube with your gel grip off and slide on the new one. The left side is more fun, ha ha.

On the site above, the kit for the 13 and the 14 has the same part number. And if you look, you can see the switch on the left grip.
 
I put on gel grips to reduce the buzziness from 3K to 4K. Changed out the seat, also.

Tell me about the grips themselves, please. Are they thick, thin, soft, hard? How are they when you don't "need" heated grips?

Compared to stock?
popgun' pid='114427' dateline='1449787626 said:
Oly, go here for the OEM instructions: http://cssportal.css-club.net/honda/MCA/TERMS010.aspx This is installation instructions.

The link doesn't work for me. Says "Session expired". Looks like a "club" URL but I can't tell which one.
 
Oly, it is a Honda site. I don't know why it does that, but when you get the session expired page, look toward the upper right and click on TOP and it will go the "home page" and you can get in.

So, having the grips on my ST and the stock grips on my CB, I just walked out to the garage and put my hands on them. The heated grips are the same as the stock grips for feel.

I've seen here that some members have put Grip Buddies or Puppies or whatever over them with success. I'm hoping one of them chimes in.
 
Lord Popgun_imp said:
Oly, it is a Honda site. I don't know why it does that, but when you get the session expired page, look toward the upper right and click on TOP and it will go the "home page" and you can get in.

So, having the grips on my ST and the stock grips on my CB, I just walked out to the garage and put my hands on them. The heated grips are the same as the stock grips for feel.

I've seen here that some members have put Grip Buddies or Puppies or whatever over them with success. I'm hoping one of them chimes in.
Well, if they feel like what I have on my ST13, then I can live with them.

I got the website to work. Thanks!!
 
Just to add a bit to this... the instructions for the heated grips install send you to the Honda service manual. The manual covers the missing info in section 19. Basically, to get enough slack in the cables after adjusting the lower cable adjustment, you have to screw in the pull cable into the switch housing and then screw it back out. To do this, you have to open the headlight shell and unplug the brown 2 pin and 9 pin connectors that come from the right hand switchgear. Once they are pulled out, you can remove the lower cable from the switchgear and turn the pull cable (it is threaded) into the switchgear body.

Not having the heated grip instructions when I started to change grips (got them later), I didn't get to the lower cable adjuster from down under the ECU. I worked from the left side and took off the two larger hoses, four small vacuum hoses and two electronic connectors and pushed them out of the way giving me enough room to loosen the locknut and turn the adjuster downwards to give me max slack. I would NOT want to try and get that adjuster back in the slot it is fixed in by and upper and lower locknut using this method so when you retighten, pull the throttle cable towards you to seat in the slot with needle nose pliers as you tighten the top locknut after readjusting the adjuster. Honda did their best to make this bike a pain to work on I think. The manual has NOTHING much to say about cables. It is pretty useless as manuals go.
 
Back
Top