GW testdrive

Thread starter
oh sorry...270km was the loop.......of course 4.6l/100km..with my drivestyle and bcos i dont like high rpms i used often the econ or manual modus.....the standardmodus TOUR was not always my favorite....and sport my god overmuch nervous...smile

the new suspension is absolut top and handling....and of cours the enginebrake with DCT...i love it that much...

but for me it lost the relaxt livingroom charme.....so i am not hot for the new GW......and this extra exhaust sound no no no no.....!
 
alprider_imp said:
oh sorry...270km was the loop.......of course 4.6l/100km..with my drivestyle and bcos i dont like high rpms i used often the econ or manual modus.....the standardmodus TOUR was not always my favorite....and sport my god overmuch nervous...smile

the new suspension is absolut top and handling....and of cours the enginebrake with DCT...i love it that much...

but for me it lost the relaxt livingroom charme.....so i am not hot for the new GW......and this extra exhaust sound no no no no.....!
4.6L/100km is really quite good for a mammoth like the GW, ... maybe not unlike the Honda Fit (or "Jazz" in Europe).

So, in your test ride you believe the GW is more sport-like compared to previous generations?
 
I took one for a test ride Feb/March a year ago. Although sportier than previous iterations of 1800cc Goldwings it is still too much tour and not enough sport to even put sport in it's description. Sure it's got loads of power, and a pretty agile beast for nearly 900 pounds, but it's still nearly 900 pounds. Plus you sit straight up. Just cause it holds less fuel and luggage doesn't make it much sportier imo. Plus it's speed limited to 112 mph like our CB's. HA!

Forum member Razor has one, maybe he will see this and comment.
 
The ferret_imp said:
I took one for a test ride Feb/March a year ago. Although sportier than previous iterations of 1800cc Goldwings it is still too much tour and not enough sport to even put sport in it's description. Sure it's got loads of power, and a pretty agile beast for nearly 900 pounds, but it's still nearly 900 pounds. Plus you sit straight up. Just cause it holds less fuel and luggage doesn't make it much sportier imo. Plus it's speed limited to 112 mph like our CB's. HA!

Forum member Razor has one, maybe he will see this and comment.
Lash has one as well, red
:)
 
Thread starter
goldoxide

well of course she is sportyer than the old one bcos she has more lean angle....

the engine likes more to turn and i meant he pulls to some easier..but now with 7gears are the steps from gear to gear too much finer.....i have it never checked but i think the range from 1 to 7 gear is not that much wider as befor 1-5 gear....and so far i have it in my mind is the power of the engine the same.....
 
alprider_imp said:
oh sorry...270km was the loop.......of course 4.6l/100km..with my drivestyle and bcos i dont like high rpms i used often the econ or manual modus.....the standardmodus TOUR was not always my favorite....and sport my god overmuch nervous...smile

the new suspension is absolut top and handling....and of cours the enginebrake with DCT...i love it that much...

but for me it lost the relaxt livingroom charme.....so i am not hot for the new GW......and this extra exhaust sound no no no no.....!
I agree with everything alprider has said except the exhaust sound doesn’t bother me.

Some thoughts, data & opinions.
I’m averaging 44.3mpg. If I rode a constant 55-60mph; I could easily see fuel economy in the 50’s.

As alprider noted, gone are the days of the “couch on wheels”. The stock seat for me is comfortable, but my 2008 was pillow soft and heaven to sit on. Plenty of aftermarket options available.

Wasn’t really sure on the DCT. Took me about 200 miles to quit reaching for the clutch lever, and teach my left foot to relax. This being said; I would have a hard time going back to a manual transmission. Traffic situations are no problem.
There’s four modes; Tour, Econ, Rain and Sport. In Sport mode with the traction control on, the bike will launch with just a chirp of rubber and with full throttle will click through the gears faster than humanly possible. It’s quite a thrill!

Brakes are excellent. ABS is standard on all models.

I installed a Utopia backrest. One of the best mods to have (IMHO).
Also put on a set of Helibars. They brought back the handlebars, but due to their geometry; they also set the bars in at an angle which takes me about 20 minutes to get use to (old right hand injury).

Some have chosen to replace the windshield with various aftermarket options. I kinda like the stock shield and use the electric adjustment to suit my needs.

I’ve rambled on, but will end by saying I’m really enjoying it.
 
I remember being annoyed by the exhaust sound as well. It's not particularly loud you can just always here it.

I also remember being amused by some suspension things jumping up in down in my peripheral vision inside the hole where the forks go thru the fairing.
 
I cross-shopped the new GW before buying my RT. Lovely bike, but the ergos didn't work for me and the bike felt quite heavy. As a result, I didn't bother to ride it. That may have changed my opinion but the RT simply fit me better and for that kind of money, I wasn't interested in compromising.
 
The ferret_imp said:
I remember being annoyed by the exhaust sound as well. It's not particularly loud you can just always here it.

I also remember being amused by some suspension things jumping up in down in my peripheral vision inside the hole where the forks go thru the fairing.
Mario Andretti and I have something in common, we like to hear the engine :D

The things jumping up & down are the tie rod ends coming off the front suspension. It was mesmerizing on the first few rides. Kinda cool watching them as they give an idea of just how much is being absorbed.
 
Back
Top