Gear sprocket changes to improve acceleration

People have been swapping sprockets for many years. It don't matter what you read or hear. It's nothing wrong with changing the front 1 tooth like I said before you will not wear out your chain no sooner! Cost wise and ease wise the wise way is dropping one tooth on the front. Good luck and let us know. :)
 
I have no first hand experience so I defer to the experts. Front is cheaper, who cares about a little chain wear. I've mostly heard about the front being changed. Chains wear. If that is driving your concern and decision then best to leave it stock.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 
What video? Did I miss something !! I have seen sport bikes made into stunt bikes with huge rear and small front sprockets they mostly ride them in parking lots just for pure stunt and show. Unreal what they can do
 
Michael, see US Cavalryman's post in the Sprocket Change thread.
 
I had some sprockets left over from a 919. I thought it was a 17/43 combo but as it turns out it was 16/43. While it was lots of fun, I went down to a 41 in the rear. so it ended up 16/41.

The video I posted was a good hard pull just for you guys. I will be getting some normal riding videos today just for reference.

By the way, I wrapped the headers with a kit from Autozone. The ECM loved it. Ever since I installed the Slip on, I had a light surge just off idle, which is gone. I know a Power Commander will probably solve this but it did have some effects.

I would post a picture or three but I have no idea how to post pics here
 
Best way is to link them to a hosting site like photobucket. Use the tags img and /img with [] around them and the image address between the tags.
You end up with something like this (yes I took this)
d3ad5bf47344c2e4a0193495a0107875.jpg
 
Look dad it's a testers model airplane ! Lol
Very nice pic.
Cavalryman if your using a smart phone D/L tapatalk app then you can post pics rite from your phone and get alerts from the forum. :)
 
Great photo, Randy. How are you healing? How's the bike?
 
U.S.Cavalryman_imp said:
There is a pic of the header wrap.




d26ea31daf8cb8c9d762326ffd640754.jpg
This is the first CB11 I've seen with wrapped headers, it looks pretty cool!! IMO, it would look more homogenous with short black fenders and some lower bars... :biker: :)

grover


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
Back to sprockets, has anyone considered decreasing the rear sprocket by a tooth or two to make the gearing a little bit taller - and - to lessen the difference between the 2013 and 2014 in terms of engine speed at 60 (or 70 or 80) mph?

As much as I ride dirt and gravel roads at low speeds, the thought has crossed my mind.

The reason? The perceptible buzz felt through the tank at the 4000 rpm range in 5th (about 70 mph) is mildly annoying. When I'm not poking along in 1st or second on cow paths, 70 mph is an average speed for me on decent, familiar roads.
 
I have thought about a drop in the rear by 1 tooth. I looked into finding 1 late last year, and no one had it advertised. Reading here that Ducati gearing works for the CB, has me rethinking the idea of looking into it again.
 
You should be able to get one from a 14 for the 13. 13 rear is 40T and the 14 is 39T.
 
CB4ME_imp said:
Back to sprockets, has anyone considered decreasing the rear sprocket by a tooth or two to make the gearing a little bit taller - and - to lessen the difference between the 2013 and 2014 in terms of engine speed at 60 (or 70 or 80) mph?

As much as I ride dirt and gravel roads at low speeds, the thought has crossed my mind.

The reason? The perceptible buzz felt through the tank at the 4000 rpm range in 5th (about 70 mph) is mildly annoying. When I'm not poking along in 1st or second on cow paths, 70 mph is an average speed for me on decent, familiar roads.
I have, you would have to go 3 or 4 in the rear to notice a difference, one tooth would not be worth it. I often start in 2nd on flat ground. One of the things i like about the bike is very little engine braking in 4th and 5th coming off throttle, taller gears would make it even better. After coming of 2 sport bikes this is a welcome change. One tooth in front a think would make the ride more enjoyable, the only drawback i can see from doing that is the roll on in 5th on the highway, having to downshift.
Thinking about it though
 
CIP57_imp said:
CB4ME_imp said:
Back to sprockets, has anyone considered decreasing the rear sprocket by a tooth or two to make the gearing a little bit taller - and - to lessen the difference between the 2013 and 2014 in terms of engine speed at 60 (or 70 or 80) mph?

As much as I ride dirt and gravel roads at low speeds, the thought has crossed my mind.

The reason? The perceptible buzz felt through the tank at the 4000 rpm range in 5th (about 70 mph) is mildly annoying. When I'm not poking along in 1st or second on cow paths, 70 mph is an average speed for me on decent, familiar roads.
I have, you would have to go 3 or 4 in the rear to notice a difference, one tooth would not be worth it. I often start in 2nd on flat ground. One of the things i like about the bike is very little engine braking in 4th and 5th coming off throttle, taller gears would make it even better. After coming of 2 sport bikes this is a welcome change. One tooth in front a think would make the ride more enjoyable, the only drawback i can see from doing that is the roll on in 5th on the highway, having to downshift.
Thinking about it though
I have, you would have to go 3 or 4 in the rear to notice a difference, one tooth would not be worth it. I often start in 2nd on flat ground. One of the things i like about the bike is very little engine braking in 4th and 5th coming off throttle, taller gears would make it even better. After coming of 2 sport bikes this is a welcome change. One tooth in front a think would make the ride more enjoyable, the only drawback i can see from doing that is the roll on in 5th on the highway, having to downshift.
Thinking about it though
Thanks - a future mod. I'll probably start with a 38 tooth rear and go from there.
 
Back
Top