Gear sprocket changes to improve acceleration

shdwghst457_imp

Been there
Thread starter
I would like my CB1100 to accelerate faster, allowing for some top end to be shaved off. I realize my cruising RPM will elevate with this, and because the bike is already really powerful I don't want to go to too extreme measures here. How can I make the bike pull harder? Should the front or rear sprocket be swapped, or both? Is one a more difficult endeavor than the other? Same question in regards to price.
 
Best way! Swap out the front sprocket to a 17 tooth and hang on tight ! Lol. Swapping the front down one tooth you can still use the stock chain length by just tighting the chain and the front sprocket is cheaper to buy! There is a website where they can make any sprocket you want. But I'm sure another oem honda front 17 tooth sprocket will fit your bike.
I would say you could pull the front tire off the ground by just gassing it with out having to dump the clutch. 1 tooth down on front on a street bike makes a huge difference. You will hit your 112mph speed limiter very fast in 4th gear and still have 5th gear ready for the ECM reflash :)
 
First gear would stand the cb straight up for sure! I did not see a price but the 17 you should be in good shape. It will pull hard thru all gears. :)
 
As has been said, you get more bang for the buck by changing the front sprocket - plus it's a much easier job.
Just one tooth down makes a fair bit of difference and you will feel it.
You already know that revs at highway speeds will be higher and you're ready to accept that along with a bit less gas mileage due to those higher revs.
But you're looking for more poop off the line so I don't think you care all that much about mileage :D
Have fun :thumbsup:
 
Thread starter
Using my first grade math skills it looks like I'll be revving 5 to 6% higher at the same speed...I can live with that! The front is easier to change out? Didn't expect that.
 
You should be able to put all the slack in your chain move the rear tire all the way forward. Remove the sprocket cover and remove the front sprocket with chain then reinstall and adjust chain. It's not hard. You might and I would take the chain off the rear sprocket for lots of slack.
 
Thread starter
The internet is telling me that a smaller front sprocket will wear out the chain faster. Realistically, trying to hit 60 in 3 seconds is going to wear out the chain faster. For normal non-hooliganized riding, will the chain wear difference be significant? Would it be better to just put on a bigger rear?
Found the 17 tooth JT front sprocket for a 530 chain:

Amazon.com
41T rear: Amazon.com
 
I would go with the 17 front! If you keep you chain adjusted and lubed you want wear it out no quicker than the 18 Back in the 70,s we swapped out lots of front sprockets and ran the heck out of them. :) chains now days are lots better and stronger!
 
shdwghst457_imp said:
The internet is telling me that a smaller front sprocket will wear out the chain faster. Realistically, trying to hit 60 in 3 seconds is going to wear out the chain faster. For normal non-hooliganized riding, will the chain wear difference be significant? Would it be better to just put on a bigger rear?
Found the 17 tooth JT front sprocket for a 530 chain:

Amazon.com
41T rear: Amazon.com
I agree with Mike the front is the way to go. Damn, you had to post that link, Mike I'm sure bought 2 already:P
 
Lol I'm not saying nuttin about buying nuttin lol
PS don't even ask me if you buy 2 at once if you get a discount! I can't HEAR YOU! Lol
 
Personally I'd change the rear sprocket as you can make more gradual and subtle adjustments to the gearing. Plus your chain will last longer :D
 
Shdwghst457 is not looking for subtle. When you get it modified or need a place to do it come on by. Looking forward to seeing you pull the front up!


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 
Back
Top