Gear Indicator Install

1100rider_imp

Running like a top
Thread starter
Has anyone installed a gear indicator. At the Chicago Motorcycle Show I bought a plug and play model and was wondering how it installs and where to place the indicator. Any ideas?
 
That is not what the man asked. I think Huludog had one. You could PM him but he sold his CB


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
To the OP..didn't it come with instructions?

I think all bikes should have one. My 75 Suzuki water buffalo had one 40 years ago. The BMW R1200R I rode in Europe had one. They are real handy. Another of the features that allowed me to justify buying a CB DLX.

I like when guys that tell me I don't need a gear indicator (not you Classic I think you were just pushing buttons.. I think) ... telling me that you can either count shifts or tell by watching speed vs rpms to tell what gear you are in... and then in the very next breath tell me they wish their bikes had another gear because they keep trying to shift their five speed bikes into 6 th. ( or in the case over on the FZ forum their 6 speed bikes into 7 th). I've read it on every forum I've ever been a member of, including this one, multiple times. Want to honestly tell me you don't do it?

Well, if you had been counting or watching the speed vs rpms, Mr. I don't need a gear indicator, wouldn't you have KNOWN you were in top gear before you tried shifting into another gear you don't have?
 
Of the 10 models (5 Honda /1 Kawasaki / 2 Suzuki / 1 Star-Yamaha) I've owned over the years only the '78 Suzuki GS750EC had it but I wouldn't mind it being a standard item.
 
I never thought they were useful until I bought a bike with one. Certain bikes just feel like they need an extra gear. My FJR was like that (still don't know why they haven't gone to a 6 speed after 13 years) and so was my KLR. I don't find myself hunting for 6th on my CB for some reason, but 4th and 5th are so closely spaced, and indicator would be handy.
 
We don't no stink'n gear indicator. Just something to tell me what gear I'm in...... :angel:
 
1100rider_imp said:
Has anyone installed a gear indicator. At the Chicago Motorcycle Show I bought a plug and play model and was wondering how it installs and where to place the indicator. Any ideas?
So what brand is it?
 
Lord Popgun_imp said:
1100rider_imp said:
Has anyone installed a gear indicator. At the Chicago Motorcycle Show I bought a plug and play model and was wondering how it installs and where to place the indicator. Any ideas?
So what brand is it?
W. A. Steoftime makes it. Model N0G00D "Stinkin' Gear Indicator". :)
 
DGShannon_imp said:
Lord Popgun_imp said:
1100rider_imp said:
Has anyone installed a gear indicator. At the Chicago Motorcycle Show I bought a plug and play model and was wondering how it installs and where to place the indicator. Any ideas?
So what brand is it?
W. A. Steoftime makes it. Model N0G00D "Stinkin' Gear Indicator". :)
W. A. Steoftime makes it. Model N0G00D "Stinkin' Gear Indicator". :)
Apparently you've been searching the internet. The autofill comes up with all the searches on it. I can't find anything on it either. I was hoping it was a GI-PRO or something that is more well known.

Did it come with instructions? How about a phone number or address. You might have to get hold of Steoftime.
 
pop gun

He was not the OP and he just typed waste of time makes it and no good stinkin gear indicator lol
 
I bought Huladog's gear indicator. It was a HealTech Electronics GPDS-H01 and it simply plugged into the ECU plug under the left hand side cover. The worst bit of the job was getting the red OEM plug cover off the CB.

The manual is here.
 
Isn't it funny? After you've ridden long enough that you become one with your machine, you don't even know what gear your in, but you know it's the right one :)
 
Motogeezer1949_imp said:
Isn't it funny? After you've ridden long enough that you become one with your machine, you don't even know what gear your in, but you know it's the right one :)
I still haven't become one with my CB11 yet. I've always used the feel of the engine to determine shift points. The CB11 has a strange quirk. In top gear at 4250 (i.e. 75 mph), there's a slight buzz in the bars. At rpms of 5K and up, it actually gets smoother. As such, I often find myself not shifting all the way up (inadvertently). Last weekend I rode down a highway for about 20 miles before I happened to look at the tach and realize that I was still in 3rd gear at around 6K rpm. It may also be because the CB750 I've been riding for 19 years does 75 mph in top gear at 5K rpm, which is also in the dead smooth part of its rpm range.
 
The ferret_imp said:
pop gun

He was not the OP and he just typed waste of time makes it and no good stinkin gear indicator lol
:blush:
 
DGShannon_imp said:
Lord Popgun_imp said:
1100rider_imp said:
Has anyone installed a gear indicator. At the Chicago Motorcycle Show I bought a plug and play model and was wondering how it installs and where to place the indicator. Any ideas?
So what brand is it?
W. A. Steoftime makes it. Model N0G00D "Stinkin' Gear Indicator". :)
W. A. Steoftime makes it. Model N0G00D "Stinkin' Gear Indicator". :)
"Your anagrams are showing, Dr. Lecter"
 
Man, I just took it literally and didn't even notice the model was NO GOOD. I just figured the name was strange as farkles have strange names sometimes.

Feel free to make fun of me. I work for the Navy so I'm used to it :)
 
Lord Popgun_imp said:
Man, I just took it literally and didn't even notice the model was NO GOOD. I just figured the name was strange as farkles have strange names sometimes.

Feel free to make fun of me. I work for the Navy so I'm used to it :)
You scared me for a moment, as the first to respond. I was thinking "Surely I made the silliness obvious enough!"
 
Back
Top