Gaiter Failure

Keeping them well coated with automotive vinyl/rubber conditioner wouldn't hurt. Any plain rubber is sensitive to sun, ozone, gas vapors, soap, aging, etc.
 
Lets not get too excited about this.. and let's put it in perspective, it's not like it's tires dry rotting or anything. So far one isolated case and the seller is stepping up and making it good.
Let's relax until we see if it's an ongoing issue with those particular gaiters, or if Joola just got a bad set. Maybe they were old stock.
The first pair Kawasaki shipped me, one of them was old stock and already had signs of age stress. I refused it, and they sent me another one, which looks like it should.
 
12cb96vfr: do you got the cheap gaiters like I do? The brand that tore up ? I'm going to keep mine on untill they ware out then replace with KAW JAPAN set :)
Michael
 
I PM'd Silas to see how his are holding up. I think he was first, early last year with the British Custom gaiters. I tend to think Joolas was an aberration. No company is going to keep selling a product if it falls apart that quickly and the customers complain.
 
Ridem32_imp said:
12cb96vfr: do you got the cheap gaiters like I do? The brand that tore up ? I'm going to keep mine on untill they ware out then replace with KAW JAPAN set :)
Michael
LOL heck yeah....we'll see!!
 
I will have both sets on hand by the week end hopefully and will compare them and post. The BC I have not installed look decent. We'll see if it's worth paying $86 for the kawjap or the stick to the bc thaiwanese @$32.
 
Ridem32_imp said:
Bezzy did you get the other set of gaiters? If so can you feel any difference in them?
Michael
I did!
They are very similar... 4 holes on each, top and bottom but the cutting on the Kaw is cleaner.The rubber looks more uniform on the Kaw. The Taiwanese feel thicker and are, may be, 1mm wider.
I think the Kaw look a bit better...very small margin.
Overall, I don't see any reason why the $80 set should outlive the $24 ones.

I almost forgot. The bottom, covering the fork seal is shorter on the Kaw. May be 1/4".
The Kaw look slightly "blacker".
Photos will follow.
 
Deanohh_imp said:
Keeping them well coated with automotive vinyl/rubber conditioner wouldn't hurt. Any plain rubber is sensitive to sun, ozone, gas vapors, soap, aging, etc.
The Aerospace Protectant, that was recommended on another thread, might be useful. I ordered a bottle and have worked over the rubber/plastic bits on my CB and it looks effective. I haven't had the bike out much since application so any others to comment?

Cheers
 
Question for those of you using fork gaiters: how often do you check your fork seals once you've installed the gaiters?
 
Gaiter failure, as a concept is about as worrying as 'muffin collapse'.

Relax guys. It's a piece of rubber that stops your forks working properly.

:rolleyes:
 
Guth_imp said:
Question for those of you using fork gaiters: how often do you check your fork seals once you've installed the gaiters?
Never..it theres a problem, you would see fork oil oozing out of the holes
 
The ferret_imp said:
Guth_imp said:
Question for those of you using fork gaiters: how often do you check your fork seals once you've installed the gaiters?
Never..it theres a problem, you would see fork oil oozing out of the holes
Never..it theres a problem, you would see fork oil oozing out of the holes
Unless you can't see it because it's under the gaiters.
 
If its losing enough oil to be an issue, it will come out of the 4 weep holes in the last fold of the gaiter. They have to have holes in them because they are basically sealed top and bottom. When the forks compress, air in the gaiter is compressed and escapes out the holes.
 
+1 ferret. The gaiters keep bugs, rock chips, dust , dirt etc off of the fork sliders help making the seals last longer and to me they look great :) if the fork seal leaks like ferret said you will know it due to fork oil coming out of weep holes. Most fork seals last years and years.
 
Back
Top