Fuel Guage

There is a procedure in the service manual. The test is easy, but normally you do it with the pump removed. Might be able to do it if you can move the float up and down.
 
well we have some pretty smart fellas on this board, but the OP shouldn't have to do his own diagnostics. This is clearly a warranty issue.

if you fill the tank and it only shows half full ( I believe that's what the OP is saying), Honda Canada Service Rep should be able to diagnose and authorize warranty replacement of defective part. If I were the owner of a brand new unit, I would not want to be pulling my pump assy, float assy, or sending unit for testing. That's crazy. (BTW I had a Yamaha Majesty Scooter that did the same thing and Yamaha replaced the fuel pump assy under warranty which fixed the problem)

That said our electrical gurus can probably figure it out.

In the meantime, I would use one of the trip meter for monitoring fuel/mileage by re-setting every time I fill up and calculating gas usage on my smart phone, multiplyiing mileage x tank capacity to figure when I need to stop for gas.
 
Ferret, thanks for bringing it up...I did not even notice he is from Canada....JohnnyLH, where do you live in Canada?
For sure warrantable repair!!
 
The ferret_imp said:
well we have some pretty smart fellas on this board, but the OP shouldn't have to do his own diagnostics. This is clearly a warranty issue.

if you fill the tank and it only shows half full ( I believe that's what the OP is saying), Honda Canada Service Rep should be able to diagnose and authorize warranty replacement of defective part. If I were the owner of a brand new unit, I would not want to be pulling my pump assy, float assy, or sending unit for testing. That's crazy. (BTW I had a Yamaha Majesty Scooter that did the same thing and Yamaha replaced the fuel pump assy under warranty which fixed the problem)

That said our electrical gurus can probably figure it out.

In the meantime, I would use one of the trip meter for monitoring fuel/mileage by re-setting every time I fill up and calculating gas usage on my smart phone, multiplyiing mileage x tank capacity to figure when I need to stop for gas.
While we are awaiting replies from gurus, my first thought is a bent float rod or defective sender. Dealer may measure voltage to meter, but likely will need to pull the float/pump unit.

The output is red/blue to connector and then green/blue to meter.
If his year connector is in the headlight bucket, it would be easy access.

Popgun or Max or Peter might know something about the role of the thermistor.
 
A couple of things. It's not clear to me the OP is saying the gauge never shows full. Secondly, I wonder why Honda changed the amount of fuel left in the tank when the warning light comes on. The 2010 manual (on-line) claims there is 3.5 litres left at that point. In my experience that's pretty accurate.

Finally, if you don't trust the on-board computer on those new-fangled CB1100s, see this important survival thread ... http://cb1100forum.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=11741&highlight=noroomtomove
 
The fuel pump connector is behind the left side panel.

The resistor is not mentioned in the service manual, just shown on the schematic. Some of us think it may be to allow the fuel computer to compensate for fuel temp. At least one member though it monitored pump temp. But there are no fault codes for that and pump temp is not mentioned in the serial data reported to the ECU. Pre ‘14 models do not have it and also do not have fuel computers for mileage left, etc.
 
Thanks for chiming in all. To clarify, gauge shows full when full. But takes almost 3/4 of driving before showing 1/2. I always go off trip meter and I always fill on center stand and it’s always FULL. it’s the bottom half that is unreliable. Also, I won’t be performing any surgery on the machine myself (I could, but why?) the dealer will be taking care of it under warranty. The only reason Service sent me to the forum was because they had not heard of this issue. Not that they didn’t believe me or were trying to put me off.
 
johnny_longhair_imp said:
Thanks for chiming in all. To clarify, gauge shows full when full. But takes almost 3/4 of driving before showing 1/2. I always go off trip meter and I always fill on center stand and it’s always FULL. it’s the bottom half that is unreliable. Also, I won’t be performing any surgery on the machine myself (I could, but why?) the dealer will be taking care of it under warranty. The only reason Service sent me to the forum was because they had not heard of this issue. Not that they didn’t believe me or were trying to put me off.
When completely filled, mine uses 1.8 gallons when 3 segments disappear.
Typically just over 100 miles.
 
This is what I now understand :
1* gas meter has 6 bars when full
2* first/top half of gas tank makes more km than 2nd/bottom half..so in digital meaning you make i. e, 170 km with first half and 3 bars left on meter and only 130 km with the 2nd half, correct??
When 1/2 full, meeter always "hangs" in this position longer and after longer time starts dropping faster.
If this is the case , I would say there is nothing wrong with it, I see all my vehicles like this, not just CB.
Correct me if my understanding is wrong, please.
 
peterbaron_imp said:
This is what I now understand :
1* gas meter has 6 bars when full
2* first/top half of gas tank makes more km than 2nd/bottom half..so in digital meaning you make i. e, 170 km with first half and 3 bars left on meter and only 130 km with the 2nd half, correct??
When 1/2 full, meeter always "hangs" in this position longer and after longer time starts dropping faster.
If this is the case , I would say there is nothing wrong with it, I see all my vehicles like this, not just CB.
Correct me if my understanding is wrong, please.
peterbaron, I've got 4000 km on the bike only so far, but I consistently get 300km on a tank with 2.5 to 3 L remaining ie. Fill 13 to 13.5 for the supposed 16.5 L capacity. I track this religiously. Tank reads 1/2 after 200km. Drops fast to 1 block around 250. Should start to blink and give me readout of 60-80km remaining. It has a few times. But more often than not, it just goes to "--" which,according to the manual, is when 1 L is remaining. Which is BS since I've ridden 60km with this displayed. I'm never going to rely on the computer, but new bike, should work.
 
Oh I misread that completely.

I don't think any of our gas gauges are linear in their miles per block. Those of us that were the early adopters 2010-2013 went thru this exhaustively back in 2013. Some felt it should drop a block every 30 miles or so, but they are just not that accurate, or linear. Personally I've never relied on the gas gauge on either of my CB 1100's but rather I rely on my trip meter B, which I clear at every fill up. I know I can go 200 miles before needing gas, so before I take off in the morning I look at trip meter B and see how many miles I've ridden on that tank, and say, I'll need gas in 50 miles, or in 25 miles and then go from there. I never pay attention to the number of blocks lit up, because they are just not a reliable way to judge how much gas you have. IMO

I don't see any way Honda can fix it to read how you want it to read, where you see 1/2 the bars when you've used up exactly 50% of the fuel.
 
SportsterDoc_imp said:
peterbaron_imp said:
Generally, yes,... it also might be mechanically stuck (interference) from 1/2 to full tank, while working OK from 1/2 to empty.
If I remember correctly, fuel pump ass-y unit has a 4 pin square black connector.
How about 1/2 - 3/4 fill and shaking CB sideways , and then top it up, as a very simple test, without electrical knowledge. I do not think meter will show changes while shaking.
So try it if you want, does not cost anything.

:beerchug:
I think the signal is buffered and needs time to change.

My 2014 standard is very consistent:
Each segment is about 0.6 gallon, until the last segment.

I did not follow Johnny's "issue". Did it still read "1/2" (3 segments) after completely full?
If so, float rod is likely obstructed or damaged, especially if something thrust into its path.

The dealer can probe the voltage output.
I think the signal is buffered and needs time to change.

My 2014 standard is very consistent:
Each segment is about 0.6 gallon, until the last segment.

I did not follow Johnny's "issue". Did it still read "1/2" (3 segments) after completely full?
If so, float rod is likely obstructed or damaged, especially if something thrust into its path.

The dealer can probe the voltage output.
My standard 2014 is very consistent as well. I always assumed each bar is a half gallon making up the first 3 gallons and then when the final bar switches to blinking that is the remaining .8 gal of "reserve".
 
The fuel gauge is anything but non linear.
The first block disappear is the slowest one.
It reaches up to somewhat like 80km, depending on my riding style and the season. The following ones have shorter life. Between 40 and 50km. After the last block starts blinking for a while there is still some fuel left in the tank.

I refill the tank after round about 250km shown in Trip A. Always reset it after a gasoline station visit.
If fuel prices are too high or there' no gasoline station in sight, I can still ride for some more km with the large reserve. Honda build it that large for the save side.

Wisedrum
 
derek.dalman_imp said:
SportsterDoc_imp said:
peterbaron_imp said:
Generally, yes,... it also might be mechanically stuck (interference) from 1/2 to full tank, while working OK from 1/2 to empty.
If I remember correctly, fuel pump ass-y unit has a 4 pin square black connector.
How about 1/2 - 3/4 fill and shaking CB sideways , and then top it up, as a very simple test, without electrical knowledge. I do not think meter will show changes while shaking.
So try it if you want, does not cost anything.

:beerchug:
I think the signal is buffered and needs time to change.

My 2014 standard is very consistent:
Each segment is about 0.6 gallon, until the last segment.

I did not follow Johnny's "issue". Did it still read "1/2" (3 segments) after completely full?
If so, float rod is likely obstructed or damaged, especially if something thrust into its path.

The dealer can probe the voltage output.
I think the signal is buffered and needs time to change.

My 2014 standard is very consistent:
Each segment is about 0.6 gallon, until the last segment.

I did not follow Johnny's "issue". Did it still read "1/2" (3 segments) after completely full?
If so, float rod is likely obstructed or damaged, especially if something thrust into its path.

The dealer can probe the voltage output.
My standard 2014 is very consistent as well. I always assumed each bar is a half gallon making up the first 3 gallons and then when the final bar switches to blinking that is the remaining .8 gal of "reserve".
I use trip 1 for refueling and trip 2 for day's outing.
Miles traveled will vary, average MPG will vary, but if I filled to bottom of filler neck ring, when first segment disappears, gallons consumed will be 0.6.

Second segment disappears, gallons consumed will be 1.2

Third segment disappears, gallons consumed will be 1.8
 
johnny_longhair_imp said:
peterbaron_imp said:
This is what I now understand :
1* gas meter has 6 bars when full
2* first/top half of gas tank makes more km than 2nd/bottom half..so in digital meaning you make i. e, 170 km with first half and 3 bars left on meter and only 130 km with the 2nd half, correct??
When 1/2 full, meeter always "hangs" in this position longer and after longer time starts dropping faster.
If this is the case , I would say there is nothing wrong with it, I see all my vehicles like this, not just CB.
Correct me if my understanding is wrong, please.
peterbaron, I've got 4000 km on the bike only so far, but I consistently get 300km on a tank with 2.5 to 3 L remaining ie. Fill 13 to 13.5 for the supposed 16.5 L capacity. I track this religiously. Tank reads 1/2 after 200km. Drops fast to 1 block around 250. Should start to blink and give me readout of 60-80km remaining. It has a few times. But more often than not, it just goes to "--" which,according to the manual, is when 1 L is remaining. Which is BS since I've ridden 60km with this displayed. I'm never going to rely on the computer, but new bike, should work.
peterbaron, I've got 4000 km on the bike only so far, but I consistently get 300km on a tank with 2.5 to 3 L remaining ie. Fill 13 to 13.5 for the supposed 16.5 L capacity. I track this religiously. Tank reads 1/2 after 200km. Drops fast to 1 block around 250. Should start to blink and give me readout of 60-80km remaining. It has a few times. But more often than not, it just goes to "--" which,according to the manual, is when 1 L is remaining. Which is BS since I've ridden 60km with this displayed. I'm never going to rely on the computer, but new bike, should work.
Hm, :idea:..
I consistently get 300km on a tank with 2.5 to 3 L remaining = roughly you'd make 370 to 400 when completely empty...depends on where-city/hwy and how-rpm/gear you ride = NFF
Tank reads 1/2 after 200km. Drops fast to 1 block around 250. Should start to blink and give me readout of 60-80km remaining. It has a few times = this is OK in general
But more often than not, it just goes to "--" = when I get this "--" , my meter usually displays 40-70 km left (depends on speed /rpm driven so far ) = it happened to me too, so I check how many liters left by pressing cluster button = think nothing wrong??
Once on HWY, I brought my meter to a point : 4 km left to empty, and bike did not stall, refuelled and continued riding home.
My tank is 16.8 L
... these bring me to 3 solutions:
1* you're watching your meter too religiously, specially the lower half, instead of the road:P
2* nothing wrong
3* I still do not get it , and I am wrong:huh::exclamation:, which I do not like...lol...

Drive it to almost empty, continue checking (not watching while riding) kms to empty and Ls left and report back, please
 
mine worked very well until Sunday. I left the house headed to church with it flashing, but the range said I had 49 miles left. I went about 2 miles and it ran out of gas with the range still saying 30 miles left... guess I can no longer trust it.
 
The computers get confused if you turn the bike off during a count down period. Happens on my FJR too and on my previously owned ST 1300. Seems they can't remember exactly where they left off.
 
jimgl3_imp said:
mine worked very well until Sunday. I left the house headed to church with it flashing, but the range said I had 49 miles left. I went about 2 miles and it ran out of gas with the range still saying 30 miles left... guess I can no longer trust it.
Interesting behaviour. I have not seen it. I will pay even more attention now.
 
1 tripmeter i do alway to 0 when I refuel so i can self estimate its possible this 49miles.....if i have forgotten after how much miles i put the bike last time in the garage....
 
The only other thing I can think of is toggle over to the menu showing how many litre/gallons were consumed. This should be truth because the fuel injection is precisely metered. However, this does not take into account lost fuel due to evaporation on hot days in the sun (standard gas cap at least).
 
Back
Top