For better or worse

pdedse_imp said:
GoldOxide_imp said:
pdedse_imp said:
Gone in 60_imp said:
Hmm. Poking around the Bike Shed website, that INT650 is available for rent for $60 a day. I think a day's ride on it will be my Christmas present to myself!
That could be a very expensive $60... :biker:
peterbaron_imp said:
Gone, you make me thinking about trading my white std for a nice INT650 next season....maybe???
Do these match Honda quality and reliability??
I'm no RE expert, but did a fair amount of reading on them. Seems that the RE brand has improved its product quality substantially the last 10 years. They are producing some very nice looking bikes at attractive prices.

Perhaps an indictor here in the States: there were 108 RE dealerships in Mar of 2020, and as of Nov 22 there are 142 according to the 'net.

One drawback might be the service schedule with valve checks called for at every 3000 miles. I was concerned about that until I saw this video, which makes it seem quite do-able.

Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 - Valve Adjustment
EDIT: if you want to hear how the INT sounds, FF to minute 10:00


If anyone does the one day rental, would love to hear your thoughts.
PowerDubs_imp said:
My one year experiment with the W800 café worked well financially only because the dealership reduced msrp by over $3,500. But with the INT650 this is why I decided to buy nearly new...let someone else pay those "sunk costs".

That could be a very expensive $60... :biker:
...
How do you reckon pdedse?

That could be a very expensive $60... :biker:
...
How do you reckon pdedse?
You ride one and you'll want to buy one! :P

How do you reckon pdedse?
You ride one and you'll want to buy one! :P
Ah - of course. I forgot about the emotion. Yeah, been rationalizing that away for awhile now. :dodgy:

I think for $60 greenbacks one could consume joy-by-the mile and really immerse in the decision process versus speculating how they might feel.
 
pdedse_imp said:
Gone in 60_imp said:
Hmm. Poking around the Bike Shed website, that INT650 is available for rent for $60 a day. I think a day's ride on it will be my Christmas present to myself!
That could be a very expensive $60... :biker:
peterbaron_imp said:
Gone, you make me thinking about trading my white std for a nice INT650 next season....maybe???
Do these match Honda quality and reliability??
I'm no RE expert, but did a fair amount of reading on them. Seems that the RE brand has improved its product quality substantially the last 10 years. They are producing some very nice looking bikes at attractive prices.

Perhaps an indictor here in the States: there were 108 RE dealerships in Mar of 2020, and as of Nov 22 there are 142 according to the 'net.

One drawback might be the service schedule with valve checks called for at every 3000 miles. I was concerned about that until I saw this video, which makes it seem quite do-able.

Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 - Valve Adjustment
EDIT: if you want to hear how the INT sounds, FF to minute 10:00


If anyone does the one day rental, would love to hear your thoughts.
PowerDubs_imp said:
My one year experiment with the W800 café worked well financially only because the dealership reduced msrp by over $3,500. But with the INT650 this is why I decided to buy nearly new...let someone else pay those "sunk costs".

I'm no RE expert, but did a fair amount of reading on them. Seems that the RE brand has improved its product quality substantially the last 10 years. They are producing some very nice looking bikes at attractive prices.

Perhaps an indictor here in the States: there were 108 RE dealerships in Mar of 2020, and as of Nov 22 there are 142 according to the 'net.

One drawback might be the service schedule with valve checks called for at every 3000 miles. I was concerned about that until I saw this video, which makes it seem quite do-able.

[url=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_DI9KlKsUe8]Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 - Valve Adjustment
EDIT: if you want to hear how the INT sounds, FF to minute 10:00
Thanks Pdedse.
Easy peasy like last century valve adjustment, done thousands of these..
Every 3000 miles...are they using aluminium or copper ?? :)
Most likely as a dealer $upport maintenance.
 
As pretty as these bikes are, and are they ever pretty… I want to see if it’s basically a slower version of my Bonneville. Which wouldn’t be a bad thing. My Bonnie is the one bike I’ve kept over the years and has the most miles, because it’s pretty and comfortable. It’s also as reliable as a hammer and has asked for nothing but a few pairs of tires.

An Enfield would need to replace the CB300R in the fleet, because I’m not selling the Bonnie or the 1100. Which means there would have to be the potential for Mrs. G to be able to learn on an INT650 while also becoming part of my commuting fleet. Doable from what the internet says.

There’s a RE dealer nearby, and like my other bikes, it would never see a rainy day. But, would it have the reliability of a Honda or a Triumph? Maybe. But, I’m getting ahead of myself before I’ve even swung a leg over one.
 
Gone in 60_imp said:
As pretty as these bikes are, and are they ever pretty… I want to see if it’s basically a slower version of my Bonneville. Which wouldn’t be a bad thing. My Bonnie is the one bike I’ve kept over the years and has the most miles, because it’s pretty and comfortable. It’s also as reliable as a hammer and has asked for nothing but a few pairs of tires.

An Enfield would need to replace the CB300R in the fleet, because I’m not selling the Bonnie or the 1100. Which means there would have to be the potential for Mrs. G to be able to learn on an INT650 while also becoming part of my commuting fleet. Doable from what the internet says.

There’s a RE dealer nearby, and like my other bikes, it would never see a rainy day. But, would it have the reliability of a Honda or a Triumph? Maybe. But, I’m getting ahead of myself before I’ve even swung a leg over one.
Nuttin' wrong dreamin' da dream Gone.
 
Thread starter
GoldOxide_imp said:
pdedse_imp said:
GoldOxide_imp said:
pdedse_imp said:
Gone in 60_imp said:
Hmm. Poking around the Bike Shed website, that INT650 is available for rent for $60 a day. I think a day's ride on it will be my Christmas present to myself!
That could be a very expensive $60... :biker:
peterbaron_imp said:
Gone, you make me thinking about trading my white std for a nice INT650 next season....maybe???
Do these match Honda quality and reliability??
I'm no RE expert, but did a fair amount of reading on them. Seems that the RE brand has improved its product quality substantially the last 10 years. They are producing some very nice looking bikes at attractive prices.

Perhaps an indictor here in the States: there were 108 RE dealerships in Mar of 2020, and as of Nov 22 there are 142 according to the 'net.

One drawback might be the service schedule with valve checks called for at every 3000 miles. I was concerned about that until I saw this video, which makes it seem quite do-able.

Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 - Valve Adjustment
EDIT: if you want to hear how the INT sounds, FF to minute 10:00


If anyone does the one day rental, would love to hear your thoughts.
PowerDubs_imp said:
My one year experiment with the W800 café worked well financially only because the dealership reduced msrp by over $3,500. But with the INT650 this is why I decided to buy nearly new...let someone else pay those "sunk costs".

That could be a very expensive $60... :biker:
...
How do you reckon pdedse?

That could be a very expensive $60... :biker:
...
How do you reckon pdedse?
You ride one and you'll want to buy one! :P

How do you reckon pdedse?
You ride one and you'll want to buy one! :P
Ah - of course. I forgot about the emotion. Yeah, been rationalizing that away for awhile now. :dodgy:

I think for $60 greenbacks one could consume joy-by-the mile and really immerse in the decision process versus speculating how they might feel.

I think renting for a day is a great idea...I've only done it once, and it was with a Bonneville, and it was for my birthday as well. $60 per day is fabulous. For the 'ville it was more, around $110 for the day and this must have been 7-8 years ago. I think I rode it some 300 miles during my 24 hour period...that experience helped me decide between buying it and the CB1100.
peterbaron_imp said:
pdedse_imp said:
Gone in 60_imp said:
That could be a very expensive $60... :biker:
peterbaron_imp said:
I'm no RE expert, but did a fair amount of reading on them. Seems that the RE brand has improved its product quality substantially the last 10 years. They are producing some very nice looking bikes at attractive prices.

Perhaps an indictor here in the States: there were 108 RE dealerships in Mar of 2020, and as of Nov 22 there are 142 according to the 'net.

One drawback might be the service schedule with valve checks called for at every 3000 miles. I was concerned about that until I saw this video, which makes it seem quite do-able.

[url=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_DI9KlKsUe8]Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 - Valve Adjustment
EDIT: if you want to hear how the INT sounds, FF to minute 10:00


If anyone does the one day rental, would love to hear your thoughts.
PowerDubs_imp said:
Problem is- nobody 2nd hand is going to pay dealer prep, freight, tax, etc- those thousands do hurt the original buyer as they are sunk cost.

Example- my new Aprilia Tuono 660 Factory stickers for 11k but nobody is getting out the door of a dealer for less than 13.5k or more on one.

Try to sell it a week later? Don't try to ask more than 10.5 at most- even with 100 mile on it- nobody will call. You will get emails offering 8k or less.
My one year experiment with the W800 café worked well financially only because the dealership reduced msrp by over $3,500. But with the INT650 this is why I decided to buy nearly new...let someone else pay those "sunk costs".
I'm no RE expert, but did a fair amount of reading on them. Seems that the RE brand has improved its product quality substantially the last 10 years. They are producing some very nice looking bikes at attractive prices.

Perhaps an indictor here in the States: there were 108 RE dealerships in Mar of 2020, and as of Nov 22 there are 142 according to the 'net.

One drawback might be the service schedule with valve checks called for at every 3000 miles. I was concerned about that until I saw this video, which makes it seem quite do-able.

[url=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_DI9KlKsUe8]Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 - Valve Adjustment
EDIT: if you want to hear how the INT sounds, FF to minute 10:00
Thanks Pdedse.
Easy peasy like last century valve adjustment, done thousands of these..
Every 3000 miles...are they using aluminium or copper ?? :)
Most likely as a dealer $upport maintenance.
Good to hear confirmation that it's easy. I've done valve check/adjust 3x on my KLR650 (shims), but each time it was done at a "tech day" when like minded KLR enthusiasts met locally to help each other work on their bikes. You do your own work, but under the supervision of those more knowledgeable. I went to 4-5 of them and we had anywhere from 5 people show to up to 25. I'm forever grateful for those guys / gals who organized those get togethers.

But every 3000 miles, yeah. Could be a conservative move and maybe later it's upped to 5000...or maybe they know their product! The CB1100 had 8k mile valve checks the first few years and then later upped it to 12k. On RE forums, I read that even at breakin service (a valve check is required) several owners found them out of spec, so it would seem they are finicky in this regard. If I didn't think I could do the valve check, then likely I wouldn't have purchased the INT650. Yet in the back of my mind this is a "one-year-stand" bike, so maybe it wouldn't have mattered much.
Gone in 60_imp said:
As pretty as these bikes are, and are they ever pretty… I want to see if it’s basically a slower version of my Bonneville. Which wouldn’t be a bad thing. My Bonnie is the one bike I’ve kept over the years and has the most miles, because it’s pretty and comfortable. It’s also as reliable as a hammer and has asked for nothing but a few pairs of tires.

An Enfield would need to replace the CB300R in the fleet, because I’m not selling the Bonnie or the 1100. Which means there would have to be the potential for Mrs. G to be able to learn on an INT650 while also becoming part of my commuting fleet. Doable from what the internet says.

There’s a RE dealer nearby, and like my other bikes, it would never see a rainy day. But, would it have the reliability of a Honda or a Triumph? Maybe. But, I’m getting ahead of myself before I’ve even swung a leg over one.
Reliability...right after I bought my '14 CB1100 I read of the high/low idle issues, and I thought "well, that won't happen to my bike" (with my fingers crossed). But then it did, and so "Honda reliability" rang hollow for me--this was my first real experience with Honda. Happily, the '17ex has been trouble free.

My understanding is that the RE for many years was infamous for issues, but in India they are ubiquitious and the repairs were easy with parts always available. Then over the last 10-some years they made changes to improve their product and people are finding them more reliable than anticipated. New RE bikes come with a 3 year warranty with a roadside service. Is that confidence in their product, or is that an attempt to change perception about their bikes...maybe both?

So my fingers are crossed again that this bike will be trouble free for 1-2 years, and then I'll likely sell it. Unless I don't.
 
peterbaron_imp said:
Go for it, :thumbsup:
I like this one;

476e2223b38c0eb12654c4cafa6c2b41.jpg
Beautiful bike, looked like an older generation HONDA CB350 of the late 60's.

I am interested if it;s available in Canada.
 
Alain Lee_imp said:
peterbaron_imp said:
Go for it, :thumbsup:
I like this one;

476e2223b38c0eb12654c4cafa6c2b41.jpg
Beautiful bike, looked like an older generation HONDA CB350 of the late 60's.

I am interested if it;s available in Canada.
Beautiful bike, looked like an older generation HONDA CB350 of the late 60's.

I am interested if it;s available in Canada.
I think it is:
Royal Enfield INT 650 Motorcycle Price, Colors & Specs in Canada
137 ads for royal enfield 650 in Motorcycles in Canada | Kijiji Marketplaces
 
So… someone’s digital ears were burning, and this might be proof that Big Brother is always listening….

I’m on the local dealer’s email list and lo and behold I got an email last night announcing that new Enfield models are now in stock. What are the chances. I took a “mental health day” today (truth told, I slipped and slammed my knee into the floor last night and it was throbbing this morning).

I coulda gone into the office in the afternoon when my knee felt a bit better, but I have time off to burn by the end of the year, so I stared my Christmas shopping with a stop at the RE dealership. They had a few INT and GT 650s, and I sat on both. immediately decided that the GT’s clip-ons and forward lean weren’t my gig. So, that’s the Thruxton equivalent.

The INT looked like what I imagine it is shooting for, RE’s version of an air-cooled Bonnie T100. Nice features like a Monza-style gas cap and center stand are nice. Seating position is similar, but the bars make for a further, wider reach than a T100.

Taking it in as a whole, it sure is nice to look at. But, thinking about it realistically, it would have to serve as a potential first bike for Mrs. Due to a short stand, it leans over quite a bit which makes it a hefty shove to get it up off the stand. The salesman commented that there are accessory blocks that can attach to the stand to reduce the lean.

He also said something interesting. “Ya know, in India, you see more of these than you do Harleys.” I would think so. They also had a few Meteor 350s. For a small displacement bike felt substantial to sit on. The salesman said that RE will be releasing a 650 version of the Meteor soon.

Still very interested in spending a day on one to see how much different it rides than my T100.
 
... the Meteor 350 is a fun and well-made bike. Not sure if the looks might change too much with the 650 lump in it. Will be interesting to see how it comes out.
 
On one of our walks, we saw a 350 Meteor recently with a big box attached, apparently doing food delivery duty. It was so quiet that Mrs G asked me if it was electric.
 
Thread starter
Gone in 60_imp said:
So… someone’s digital ears were burning, and this might be proof that Big Brother is always listening….

I’m on the local dealer’s email list and lo and behold I got an email last night announcing that new Enfield models are now in stock. What are the chances. I took a “mental health day” today (truth told, I slipped and slammed my knee into the floor last night and it was throbbing this morning).

I coulda gone into the office in the afternoon when my knee felt a bit better, but I have time off to burn by the end of the year, so I stared my Christmas shopping with a stop at the RE dealership. They had a few INT and GT 650s, and I sat on both. immediately decided that the GT’s clip-ons and forward lean weren’t my gig. So, that’s the Thruxton equivalent.

The INT looked like what I imagine it is shooting for, RE’s version of an air-cooled Bonnie T100. Nice features like a Monza-style gas cap and center stand are nice. Seating position is similar, but the bars make for a further, wider reach than a T100.

Taking it in as a whole, it sure is nice to look at. But, thinking about it realistically, it would have to serve as a potential first bike for Mrs. Due to a short stand, it leans over quite a bit which makes it a hefty shove to get it up off the stand. The salesman commented that there are accessory blocks that can attach to the stand to reduce the lean.

He also said something interesting. “Ya know, in India, you see more of these than you do Harleys.” I would think so. They also had a few Meteor 350s. For a small displacement bike felt substantial to sit on. The salesman said that RE will be releasing a 650 version of the Meteor soon.

Still very interested in spending a day on one to see how much different it rides than my T100.
That always freaks me out! I told my 23 year old daughter about something similar that happened to me and her response was "isn't that cool how they've got you covered?"

:s
 
The Super Meteor is a good looking bike but Royal Enfield really need to get their weight under control. The new Super Meteor 650 is 241kg. That is 1Kg heavier than a shaft driven Triumph Tiger 1200GT. :s

 
Hmm, that looks like it's going after the Triumph Speedmaster, doesn't it?

Mrs. G and I were walking last night to enjoy the town's Christmas lights, and started discussing what we wanted for Christmas. I said "remember when we were at the Bike Shed a few weekends ago, and saw that pretty orange Royal Enfield that was available for rent? I want to rent it for a day." She said that sounded like a wonderful idea, but quickly followed with "But you can't buy one! I don't remember how you snuck in a third bike last year... somehow you seem to find room for more!"

As for Big Brother (or should I say Big Siri) listening, yeah, it's creepy, but part of our modern world. That ad from the Enfield dealer is a mild example. Not too long ago, my partner and I were talking about businesses in our industry who had recently relocated. I'm sure our phones were out and on the table. Later that day, I got an unsolicited call from a commercial real estate agent asking if I was interested in relocating my business. Some are downright funny... we were talking about obtaining some hay bales for an event, and my phone started popping up with ads for farming supplies and horse feed.

I'm sure I could turn off Siri's voice activation and curb it, but when do I need Siri? When my hands are full or dirty!
- Riding somewhere unfamiliar, too lazy to take my gloves off - "Siri, navigate to the nearest whatever"
- Under Mom's car for the billionth time fixing something, hands too greasy to touch the phone: "Siri, look up a belt routing diagram for a 2007 Saturn"
 
Tev62_imp said:
The Super Meteor is a good looking bike but Royal Enfield really need to get their weight under control. The new Super Meteor 650 is 241kg. That is 1Kg heavier than a shaft driven Triumph Tiger 1200GT. :s
Hmm, the overall look is better than expected with the 650 lump.

Yeah, for that weight - I would want a shaft final drive - even if only a 650 cc mill. Yamaha did it routinely in the 80's. (e.g. Maxim 650).
 
For the price point RE is no doubt going for, adding a shaft drive would probably bump up the tag quite a bit, but it would be nice.
 
Tev62_imp said:
The Super Meteor is a good looking bike but Royal Enfield really need to get their weight under control. The new Super Meteor 650 is 241kg. That is 1Kg heavier than a shaft driven Triumph Tiger 1200GT. :s
That's how they keep their price under control..cheap heavy parts. If the frame, fenders, headlight shell, side covers, rims are all steel, it adds weight,
 
So, had to visit one of our vendors this afternoon, and lo and behold, they're just down the street from the local Triumph/Guzzi dealership, so I decided to stop in and peruse (and ask about the V100, which is now scheduled to arrive some time in March...)

On the used floor, they had a '21 Enfield Continental 650. It had either just been taken in on trade, or had been used by their staff, becuase unlike the other bikes in the showroom that were freshly polished up for sale, this one was pretty dirty and had clearly seen some rain riding and outside storage. It was a good opportunity to see one of these bikes in a condition that was clearly not pampered.

And, gotta say, it looked pretty good. Nothing was rusty, everything looked like it could be cleaned and polished up just fine, even if the nuts, bolts and plasics aren't completely up to Honda spec.
 
Back
Top