Finally

I used to ride my bicycle to Marietta. Loved growing up there on a farm but don't miss the economy or the weather. But those pics really take me back. Thanks for posting.
 
Thread starter
I know that's celcius but minus 30 sounds bitterly cold lol
 
Thread starter
Well after 7 days of being trapped by 1/10 " ice and 9" of snow i made a break for it today. Only 35 miles but good night it felt great!

Escaping my driveway

df10f7d83f79ae951150dced90f9c9de.jpg


watch out for wheel swallowing potholes lol (this is a small one)

3b07667640f6f419a4df60e2f3b9ff25.jpg


and out on the open road.

0f4a10ab79d4ff06d2388afefcc2b6d9.jpg
 
There is something very pretty indeed about cold, but sunny, winter days. Nice one Ferret.
 
Thread starter
Indeed there is Cormanus. Much like being out riding alone on a rainy day. They each have their own unique beauty.
 
When my friends ask me about summer rides, they want to know what I saw. When my friends ask me about winter rides, they want to know how I felt. Ferret's pictures and Cormanus' comment about them remind me that I need to answer the summer question, even if they haven't asked it.

I ride in the cold because I want to experirence winter and because I experience it differently from my two-wheeled perch than in a 4-wheeled box or even on foot or skis. Like deserts and volcanoes, winter is beautiful in its starkness.
 
EmptySea_imp said:
When my friends ask me about summer rides, they want to know what I saw. When my friends ask me about winter rides, they want to know how I felt. Ferret's pictures and Cormanus' comment about them remind me that I need to answer the summer question, even if they haven't asked it.

I ride in the cold because I want to experirence winter and because I experience it differently from my two-wheeled perch than in a 4-wheeled box or even on foot or skis. Like deserts and volcanoes, winter is beautiful in its starkness.
That is almost exactly how my buddy put it a while back.

I just don't ride in cold weather any more, I can't take it.
Your comments brought this to mind:

Nature has many tricks wherewith she convinces man of his finity, -- the ceaseless flow of the tides, the fury of the storm, the shock of the earthquake, the long roll of heaven's artillery, -- but the most tremendous, the most stupefying of all, is the passive phase of the White Silence. All movement ceases, the sky clears, the heavens are as brass; the slightest whisper seems sacrilege, and man becomes timid, affrighted at the sound of his own voice. Sole speck of life journeying across the ghostly wastes of a dead world, he trembles at his audacity, realizes that his is a maggot's life, nothing more. Strange thoughts arise unsummoned, and the mystery of all things strives for utterance. And the fear of death, of God, of the universe, comes over him, -- the hope of the Resurrection and the Life, the yearning for immortality, the vain striving of the imprisoned essence, -- it is then, if ever, man walks alone with God.

-Jack London, The White Silence, 1899
 
When I take my daily walk on the local nature trail there is a stand of tall pines with red bark that catch the sun. I stand looking up at the glowing bark and green needles against a background of bright blue sky and image that is summer.

I am thrilled to see a squirrel. A sign of life in a frigid white world.

I stop beside a short run of rapids on the Jock River and close my eyes. Hearing the rustle of water with my eyes closed makes it seem like early spring when the river frees itself from its icy prison.

Winter did not bother me when I was busy going to school, to work, playing hockey and broomball. But now that I am retired, I hate it because I can not ride my bike, go fishing, or run my trains outdoors.
f6281f906442c4764ba5be1d044ae1db.jpg
 
Parts of British Columbia, Canada's most westerly province, recently received as much snow in 3 days as they usually get all winter. These cars are not snow sculptures like the prank in Montreal.

c387a1b93b14232c87283c0c359615c9.jpg


A couple of years back a member of the CB500X Forum in Newfoundland, Canada's most easterly province, posted that their doors are mounted so they open outwards to prevent Atlantic Ocean rain storms from blowing them in. Unfortunately after severe winter snow storms you have to wait until someone digs you out. :huh:

He posted pictures of he and his wife digging out their completely snow covered cars for the second time during one storm. The next time it happened, they decided to move.
 
Thread starter
Dang, that's a LOT of snow. We've had snow like that but it's rare. The first year I moved to this house 24 years ago, we got 18" of it in one storm (our usual accumulation is 19" A YEAR!). Took me 3 days to dig out. Didn't have my snowblower or quad with plow then, just a shovel. Almost killed me lol.

snow flurried pretty hard this morning covering everything, but the ground temp and soon the air temp will be above freezing, so the roads should be ok. My son rode his motorcycle to work this morning. I will try and get out for a ride after lunch.
 
In Ottawa we average 175 centimeters/69 inches of snow each winter.

Although it has snowed as early as Halloween some years, normally the first snowfall that remains is on November 21st. It really made a mess of the Gray Cup Game (Canada's Football Championship) held here in Ottawa November 20th.

The snow usually melts away during the last week of March. Although snowfalls after that in April are not uncommon.

Generally our snowfalls total 5 centimeters/2 inches or less. Last February however there was a storm that dumped 61 centimeters/2 feet in one day. Fortunately Penny and I were in Fort Lauderdale, Florida at the time.
 
Thread starter
Got in 47 miles in the flurries. All in all it was fun.
 
You'll turn into a snowman if you're not careful!
 
Thread starter
LOL this is how I get thru winter with my sanity.

Oh and riding in snow flurries is kind of fun. Visually it's like going into warp drive on Star Wars, white stuff (stars/snow) coming at you and fly past all around.
 
How does the ST go with chains?
 
Thread starter
Lol if it needs chains I'll be staring out the window of my living room.

My son rode his motorcycle to work today as well
 
all that snow looks so pretty but can not imagine riding in it.
was once in a Virginia blizzard where you could not see the road and spun out my mustang .
 
Thread starter
as long as it doesn't get too much worse than this lol

4882f298a63c60928200d913744c6af8.jpg


Oh, and turned over this on today's ride

31a82a4a6075074c001200279b2b3570.jpg
 
Back
Top