Finally

the Ferret

Road warrior
Thread starter
On the evening of Dec 30, we got our first major snow. It came a little earlier than normal and it wasn't crushing, less than 2 inches, but the private road I live on which is curvy and dippy doesn't get cleared well. They salt the entrance and a couple of the curves. The cars driving in and out on the snow crush it and it freezes to ice underneath, especially when the temperature like we have been having don't allow for melt. Plus there are two long sections with giant pine trees which block the morning sun from getting to the road. So even though the main public roads get salted and plowed and are ok to ride, I end up getting stuck for days waiting for a track to open up I can ride on to get out to the main roads.

Everyday this week I have taken the truck and driven out to the main roads. Then my wife and I discuss whether it would be safe for me to try and escape. New Years Day..nope. Jan 2 nope. Jan 3 nope Jan 4 nope but it's getting close. We can see dry tracks developing. My wife thought I could get out IF no cars came the other way forcing me off the track in the middle of the road, or no deer crossed in front of me causing me to swerve off that line. Too risky.

This morning we went out and it looked like there were enough clear tracks that I would have options if necessary, so about 2:00 I suited up, pushed the ST out and fired it up, turning the heated grips on 50% and plugged in my heated jacket liner at about 75% (it was 16 degrees out). Once the bike hit 2 bars on the heat gauge, I snicked her into gear and headed up the drive, turning left at the top. No cars came and no deer ran out and I made it out to the main road with no drama, which was clear and dry. About an hour later I arrived back home, safe and sound with a doggone big smile. It felt so good to ride! Anyhow, first day and first 35 miles of the year in!
 
You’re a very committed rider, Ferret. Congratulations on the first ride for 2018.

It sounds like some parts of the US are doing it really tough at the moment. Hope,everyone’s OK.
 
Thread starter
Going down to -1 tonight, but tomorrow mrs and I are driving down to Berea for lunch and to check out a couple hotels to try and get us a deal on rooms for the rally. Might not get back in time to ride tomorrow.

Oh the sacrifices I make lol
 
Nice text, Ferret. Unfortunately I'm still waiting for the first ride of the year... Got the flu yesterday and the rain doesn't stop falling :( At least, I just have snow in the north...
Happy New Year to you all, by the way.
Cormanus_imp said:
You’re a very committed rider, Ferret. Congratulations on the first ride for 2018.

It sounds like some parts of the US are doing it really tough at the moment. Hope,everyone’s OK.
Indeed! It's snowing even in Florida.
 
Similar problem here too Ferret, i.e. the weather is no good for riding ... it's 42C (~108F) with a 40km/h average wind speed. I'm gonna wait 'til tomorrow when it cools down to 21C (~70F) - Melbourne weather is known for how variable it is, as we often say "if you don't like the weather just wait 10 minutes". Good luck with the snow and ice in your neck of the woods.
 
Thread starter
Ha Aussieflyer..they say the exact same thing here in Ohio USA

uunfortunately we are on a cold streak right now. Today was the 12th day in a row the temp never got above freezing. Tomorrow will be day 13. Sunday it is supposed to warm up a bit. Not 70 though lol
 
The ferret_imp said:
Ha Aussieflyer..they say the exact same thing here in Ohio USA

uunfortunately we are on a cold streak right now. Today was the 12th day in a row the temp never got above freezing. Tomorrow will be day 13. Sunday it is supposed to warm up a bit. Not 70 though lol
That right there was a huge influence in my decision to leave Ohio and return to California!
 
very happy you got a short fix for our addiction but wow that sounds like so much work , but that ST could be the the boss with another option :thumbsup:
 
I live in the same vicinity as ferret. It rose above freezing on Sunday here and I rolled out on my 250 around 2:30 in the afternoon. I had the roads to myself and it was eerily quiet along the Kentucky back roads. I agree, ferret, it felt great to be back on the bike. I pulled back into the driveway around 4:30.

6bd0442464e0b08b20727a0fd9e42e8f.jpg


ea99d0065d8a6f63e922de24f8abb902.jpg


b196f7070fabfd567a4953bf3a7563c7.jpg


1f1fff1c4b99b228dec58157c24284a9.jpg


7d49b135c600644916b0adbc6dc9dad8.jpg


021be34ebed16e23e9c5f245bafe465c.jpg
 
Thread starter
Great Stichill. Don't ya love how the creeks and rivers look all half frozen?

9991e5cf8500c6ab63c54a6b6b85b66a.jpg


0891827b34c8ccd8a99e7da85d59871e.jpg
 
very surprising to see ice on moving water so thanks for this pic's.
the hills remind me so much of my early childhood home in North Alabama .
Stichill that is one fine looking 250 and i love riding a bike that size as everything is just so easy , light and fun .
in the day that was a big bike when the largest honda was a 305cc with less performance .
 
It is fun, Frulk. My wife and I each had one and I wish I could have afforded to keep one of them. Yeah, they're not that fast, but they handle great, don't take up much space, and get great fuel mileage. Someday I may buy one.
 
Yeah it was awesome to see the unusually icy creeks and small rivers, ferret. use2b & Frulk, the CBR was/is my first motorcycle. It's just such a blast to zip around on that I can't part with it. You just wick it up and sweep 5000-9000 rpm up and down the gears as you carry your speed into the corners and flick it over. It's really the ideal machine for many of our narrow, winding Kentucky one-laners. Its styling is heavily influenced by the VFR1200, no doubt!

Late fall last year...

15e0272f902b87a7d6ff2097c744283d.jpg
 
I owned the exact bike (well, it was a 2011 model) and concur with Stichill's adoration. Really fun bike and quite impressive when you look behind the curtain. Mine, with a 125 lb. rider aboard, could sit at 75 mph all day and not get worse than 100 mpg. It had the same jewel-like feel as our CB's.
 
Those wintry pics remind me of SE Ohio that I grew up in. Belpre, OH to be exact. I sure don't miss those snowy GREY days (months). Although it's been quite similiar in middle NC recently.

I got to pop out for lunch on the CB today. First time I've been on her since the end of Nov. I have been meaning to clean her up and do a little maintenance on her after my mountain trip. Since she was still dirty she got to deal with the salt instead of the T-100.
 
Thread starter
Glad you were able to get out Bheezy. I've been thru Belpre many times on RT 7 my way to Marietta. In fact will be going thru there again sometime this spring taking my doctor out there to ride some curvy roads in Ohio and West Virginia

oh and we call the weather from late Nov to March, PERMAGREY

(hey someone else who spells grey the way I was taught lol)
 
Back
Top