Finally happened!

NickLHG_imp

First service completed
Thread starter
After a delay into the new year (and an increased 121.00 fee for taxes (or whatever the law that passed in Illinois is)) I managed to pick up my 2014 deluxe. Thank you all for the help I’ll definitely be sticking around to learn as much as I possibly can. Hoping to one day get my 82 wing running and made to my liking, only problem with that bike is it’s a bit too tall because the giant bucket seat.. besides that.
I’m getting Pirelli sport demon tires on the back as part of the dealerships so called “deal”. Looking into a shoei full faced wine red helmet to match the bike, along with a cardo slim Bluetooth piece for the helmet. One day hope to get the 500.00 comet fairing to match the bike.
How often do you have to change the air filter? Didn’t get the owners manual but I’ll be looking up the pdf soon here.
 
Congrats Nick, glad you were able to make the deal. With regards to air cleaners, here in the midwest I replace mine every 25,000 miles. The manual probably says every 12,000. It's not hard to do, but you do have to push some wires out of the way (and remove a coupe of screws).
 
Congrats on the 2014 :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Our 2014 Canadian model was a sort of combo between a standard and a deluxe and only came in Spencer blue; one model; one color.
 
Thread starter
Oh seeet thank you for the info. I spoke of a k&n filter in another thread I made and some said it’s not worth it.. but in the long run which would be more cost efficient? K&N or replacing the air filter as normal.
I looked up the pdf but couldn’t find anything for the 2014 CB1100 dlx, only one on the 2013. Is this the same exact bike besides the 6 speed?
 
Hello Nick, congrats on your Deluxe. I can offer a few of my opinions here, and you can decide if any of them work for you. If you are handy, and like working on your bike, one of the best investments you can make is to buy The Honda OEM shop manual for your bike. The manuals are a wealth of knowledge, and you just cant go wrong owning one.

As to maintenance items, I always use OEM Honda spark plugs, oil filters, air filters, and batteries. I have seen some aftermarket air filters that were just slightly off in terms of fit and sealing. I have seen some aftermarket oil filters fail, causing a mess at least, and potential engine damage at most. Oil I might experiment with in terms of brand, the same API service classification, JASO standard, and viscosity as called for in the Shop and Owners manuals. As a matter of personal preference I do prefer full synthetic oil, although there is nothing wrong with Dyno oil. Unless there is a VERY compelling reason to do otherwise, you just cant go wrong with OEM parts.
 
Thread starter
2017EX_imp said:
Hello Nick, congrats on your Deluxe. I can offer a few of my opinions here, and you can decide if any of them work for you. If you are handy, and like working on your bike, one of the best investments you can make is to buy The Honda OEM shop manual for your bike. The manuals are a wealth of knowledge, and you just cant go wrong owning one.

As to maintenance items, I always use OEM Honda spark plugs, oil filters, air filters, and batteries. I have seen some aftermarket air filters that were just slightly off in terms of fit and sealing. I have seen some aftermarket oil filters fail, causing a mess at least, and potential engine damage at most. Oil I might experiment with in terms of brand, the same API service classification, JASO standard, and viscosity as called for in the Shop and Owners manuals. As a matter of personal preference I do prefer full synthetic oil, although there is nothing wrong with Dyno oil. Unless there is a VERY compelling reason to do otherwise, you just cant go wrong with OEM parts.
Oh duh! I completely forgot about OEM.. that’s what I run in my rebel/gl1100. That’s a much better idea than buying some other brand that’ll potentially cause damage. Thank you for the sound advice. I did have plans to purchase the service manual when I get home after work. Found one a couple of weeks back but I wanted to make sure I got the bike before purchasing it. I believe people say the owners manual says to run 10-40 oil correct? I have about a gallon of Honda 10-40 out in my shop ready to use. I’ve heard others use 10-30 because the engine makes a weird noise when using 10-40, ever had any issues with that?
As for synthetic oil.. how do you convert over to that? Do you have to do anything special or simply throw it in?
Thanks again!
 
A service manual is a wealth of knowledge and well worth the money.
Changing over to synthetic is just a matter of draining the old oil and filling it with synthetic. I only use Honda filters.
When I first got my 1100 I was using 10W-40 and experienced no unusual noises at all. The bike ran perfectly fine. It later came up here on the forum about 10W-30 and I read the owners manual (duh!) which does indeed say to use 10W-30, which applies to Canada and the U.S., so I switched on the next oil change.
I'm using Motul 5100 in all my modern bikes which is readily available here. It's dino oil with a synthetic blend. I think you would be hard pressed to find much/any difference in any of the name brand motorcycle oils. Oil today is made to a very high standard.
Others may have a different opinion - but let's not start an oil discussion :D :D :D
 
Nick,

A quick look at the parts fiche shows the same part number for the 2013 and 2014 dlx air cleaner.

Although the owners manual shows using 10w-30 oil, the service manual also allows 10w40.

A while back there were reports of engine noises when using 10w-40 that went away when switched back to 10w-30. A reason was never determined. But we haven’t had any complaints about 10W40 for a while. Try it and see. You can always switch back.

As for me, I only use member Pterdactyl’s Hubris oil (out of Australia). It’s illegal here and I have it discretely sneaked in by the Mexican cartels. (You guys forgot about Hubris oil, huh?) :)
 
Just giving this oil weight discussion a little thought, what if you used a half mixture of 10-40 and 10- 30 both full synthetic Honda oil?
 
Well thats just crazy talk Obleo! :D Everybody knows you would end up with 20W-70 :rolleyes: :banana:
 
I'm embarrassed to say that my 2011 CB has only 16,000km, many on the forum ride more than that in one summer. The oil and filter are changed every December / January each year ready for our summer where temperatures are often in the mid 30's and sometimes low 40's. After the initial run in period using Honda GN4 (10W30 mineral oil) I switched to HP4 (10W30 synthetic mineral blend) as it's available in a kit with a Honda filter and crush washer, and is the least expensive of all other options after including the OEM filter. Seems to work really nicely, there's no engine noises (rattles) on hot days. The bike doesn't get ridden in stop - start city traffic so I guess it the oil doesn't get some of the abuse that a commuter would need to handle.
 
Lord Popgun_imp said:
Nick,

A quick look at the parts fiche shows the same part number for the 2013 and 2014 dlx air cleaner.

Although the owners manual shows using 10w-30 oil, the service manual also allows 10w40.

A while back there were reports of engine noises when using 10w-40 that went away when switched back to 10w-30. A reason was never determined. But we haven’t had any complaints about 10W40 for a while. Try it and see. You can always switch back.

As for me, I only use member Pterdactyl’s Hubris oil (out of Australia). It’s illegal here and I have it discretely sneaked in by the Mexican cartels. (You guys forgot about Hubris oil, huh?) :)
Yes and Castrol Power One 10W40 served me well in southern Nevada, Utah, Arizona and California, including Death Valley.

There many good oils, just be sure it is a motorcycle oil without friction modifiers which could cause clutch slippage.

There are some part numbers in post 5 of this thread, as well as air and oil filter comments.

http://cb1100forum.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=12766&pid=207832&highlight=Castrol#pid207832

Front axle wrenches 17 mm Allen & 22 mm
Rear axle wrenches 22 mm & 27 mm

Spark plug 14 mm NGK LMAR8A-9S (stock 6817) available at O'Reilly's
Air filter 17210-MEJ-981
Oil filter + wrench Honda 15410-MCE-H51
Oil filter Honda 15410-MFJ-D01
Oil, 4 quarts Pro Honda GN4 10W-30
Crush washer 14 mm 94109-14000

engine guards 08P70-MGC-N20

Battery YTZ14S (O'Reilly DTZ14-S $103.99)
Regulator 31600-MGZ-J01
Stator 31120-MGC-014
Pulse generator 30300-MGC-003
Diode (fuse block) 31730-MAS-601
Relays (fuse block) 38501-MEL-003
10 amp fuses stop/horn
10 amp fuses meter illumination
10 amp fuses headlight
10 amp fuses start
10 amp fuses turn/clock

Air Filter
For the CB1100, 171 CFM is required at 8,500 RPM.
1140 cc x 8,500 RPM (redline) = 9,690,000 cubic centimeters
Divide that by 2 for a 4 stroke = 4,845,000 cc = 171 cu ft per minute.

K&N claims a flow capability of 498.64 CFM...but it cannot be anywhere near fully utilized by an 1140 cc

The HiFlo HFA1932 was under consideration due to price. But the response from HiFlo is that they do NOT flow test. Don't know how they can claim the same flow as OEM, yet not test.

My airfilter was still looking new at over 12,000 miles.
 
NickLHG_imp said:
After a delay into the new year (and an increased 121.00 fee for taxes (or whatever the law that passed in Illinois is)) I managed to pick up my 2014 deluxe. Thank you all for the help I’ll definitely be sticking around to learn as much as I possibly can. Hoping to one day get my 82 wing running and made to my liking, only problem with that bike is it’s a bit too tall because the giant bucket seat.. besides that.
I’m getting Pirelli sport demon tires on the back as part of the dealerships so called “deal”. Looking into a shoei full faced wine red helmet to match the bike, along with a cardo slim Bluetooth piece for the helmet. One day hope to get the 500.00 comet fairing to match the bike.
How often do you have to change the air filter? Didn’t get the owners manual but I’ll be looking up the pdf soon here.
LOVE that wine color Shoei. But alas, Shoei's don't fit my head. I believe HJC(?) has a wine color too that would look superb on the CB but it was only DOT rated and I just don't buy DOT only rated helmets anymore. Got a baby and another on the way. Gotta be as safe as possible.
 
I use a 10/40 full synthetic motorcycle oil ( Mobil 1) as I need more protection in hot weather. The 10 in both 10/30 and 10/40 is the same in cold weather.
 
Back
Top