Feb 8 Bonus CB ride

the Ferret

Road warrior
Thread starter
Weather forecasters said it was going to rain starting at 10 AM this morning. When I woke up at 6:00 it was 47 degrees and not raining. Once it got light I decided a morning ride was in order so I grabbed the ST, no electrics needed and headed out. The morning was beautiful and by the time I got home at 10 AM it was 52 degrees and I had covered 59 miles.

Put the bike up as we had family coming to eat at noon. Family came, ate and went by 4:30 and it still hadn't started raining so I decided to grab the CB which hadn't been ridden since Jan 28 and take it for a spin. Even wore my 3/4 helmet and deer skin gloves.

Decided to ride over and see if anything was happening at East Fork State Park which is about 10 miles from my house going the long way. First stop at the park was at the boat launch and indeed there was a boat on the water. Someone else out enjoying the unseasonably warm weather.



then I rode over to the beach to see if there were any sunbathers or swimmers ...nope. Too cold for them still.

[url=http://smg.photobucket.com/user/theferret111/media/Feb82015BonusCBride003_zpsc9b9abc9.jpg.html]

A few miles away is the dam for the lake (officially called William Harsha Lake). I used to hunt all these bottoms for deer, rabbits and quail 40 years ago before they flooded it to make a multi thousand acre lake. Ruined the hunting, but a lot more people get to enjoy it now for boating, swimming and fishing so I guess that was a good thing to do.

[url=http://smg.photobucket.com/user/theferret111/media/Feb82015BonusCBride007_zps4956ad8a.jpg.html]

then I took a ride over and hit 2 of my favorite curvy roads. Ran them both clean (running them clean means I ran both roads both directions without running into any car traffic to ruin my pace). Love it when that happens. Perfect speeds and perfect apexes!

A bonus ride.. 47 miles. Walked into the house saying to myself, Man, that was great!

Got home just before dark and it's still over 50 degrees out..in February. Crazy, but I will take it.
 
Here in Ottawa mid-January to Valentine's Day is usually bright and sunny, but bitterly cold. This year we have had a lot of snow instead. I hoping this is the snow we usually get in March, and we will have an early spring. If not, I still have about 90 days until I can ride.

The motorcycle show is this coming weekend. That's something to look forward to.
 
Thread starter
I don't know how you guys do it. I know for the last 8 years at least, I have ridden in every month of the year so I have never gone 60 days without riding, at least in recent memory. Heck, I go 3 days and I start getting cranky, I go a week and my wife starts avoiding me in the house lol
 
I got out with my regular sunday bunch, it got to 70 deg here in SC and about 15 showed up. We rode to Florence for lunch,thats 140 mile round trip, love the DLX more everytime I ride it.:thumbsup:
 
Thread starter
ss2wheels_imp said:
I got out with my regular sunday bunch, it got to 70 deg here in SC and about 15 showed up. We rode to Florence for lunch,thats 140 mile round trip, love the DLX more everytime I ride it.:thumbsup:
What an outstanding motorcycle eh?

we wont see 70 degrees until late May early June.
 
Thread starter
I think Nightrider has 156, a 2014 std.
And CeeBeeMe has 158 a 2014 DLX

Ok 153 and 154 and 157 Where are you?
 
If you want to ride year round you gotta move south, but summer riding in Phoenix is harsh. Between the monsoons and asphalt that flows under your wheels; nasty.
 
Thread starter
Rboe, my wife and I were in Mesa in Sept on a motorcycle trip a few years ago of all the National Parks in Utah and Arizona. I think it was 113. It was like having a hair dryer on high blowing in your face. Don't know how you guys take that either.

Fun fact about Cinti weather

Here in Cinti, historically our coldest day of the year is January 18 th with an average low of 23 degrees (ave high of 39). We generally don't get many days below freezing and days below zero are rare. Conversely our hottest day is July 24 with an average high of 87 (and a ave low of 67). We do get a few days over 90 and even a few over 100, but they are also rare.

Not quite San Diego, but all in all not horrible.
 
In general; avoid riding during the day, early mornings only. Typically we hit the road early and head to the high country, tour around then dive back into the valley using cool vests (evaporative vests, or ones with ice packs) and camel backs (hydration packs on our backs so we can drink water while on the move) and head straight for home and the A/C.

I can't imagine laying a bike down or crashing, in the summer. Asphalt will burn you alive once you stop skipping. Gravel ain't much better.
 
"I go a week and my wife starts avoiding me in the house lol"

That's funny....my wife likes it when I ride....it puts me in a better mood when I return!
 
Awesome ride ! I too am looking out the window at the ice and snow and a cool 4 degrees on my carport.. Reading your words made me feel better for sure .. Can't wait to ride !
 
The ferret_imp said:
I don't know how you guys do it. I know for the last 8 years at least, I have ridden in every month of the year so I have never gone 60 days without riding, at least in recent memory. Heck, I go 3 days and I start getting cranky, I go a week and my wife starts avoiding me in the house lol
I hear ya! I stayed over a friend's house last night who is away in Cali! My wife stops listening in general so I turn up the volume and then just say, "I'm gonna go shovel out a friend's front walk which is buried under 2 feet of snow." Shoveling. Riding. Scale. Aw shucks, shoveling will have to do for now. I did have an astounding view of Boston from the guest bedroom upstairs.
 
Back
Top