Extreme Large Waves

Yikes! OK Huladog?
 
We had some 40 footers here at Mavericks last week. I can't imagine a 70 ft wave! Yikes is right.

Sent from my XT1096 using Tapatalk
 
Yeah I'm high and dry, in fact I'm in the desert this week in Scottsdale, AZ at a conference.

We're watching The Eddie surf contest online.

They closed the highway along the North Shore earlier this week with high surf and high tides washing over the roadway.

I live down on the South Shore up in a valley so my bike is high and dry.

Aloha,
Huladog


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
Thread starter
Darn glad to hear that, Huladog! From all I've read and heard, it appears to be a significant event, including some homes and property damage to some.
 
Yup, epic event that they can only run when the wave conditions are just right. They tried to run it earlier this month but the waves didn't show up as expected.

Aloha,
Huladog


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
You're in my backyard. You picked some very nice weather, not hot like last week. How long will you be in town?
 
Rboe, heading home early Saturday to make it home the same afternoon.

Like visiting this time of year with the nice cool temps overnight.

Didn't have time this trip to run off and check out local shops.

Aloha,
Huladog


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
We had street flooding during the last big storm. What a lot of people don't realize is that the streets are flooded with salt water, but they splash through it anyways.
 
Thread starter
I'm reading these events are a result of the strong el nino.

I only posted this knowing one of our members lives near one of the danger areas...
 
quietguy_imp said:
I'm reading these events are a result of the strong el nino.

I only posted this knowing one of our members lives near one of the danger areas...
Yeah... We're having the El Niño of every 20 years. We have the water in Central FL to prove it.

Hope everyone is fairing well in this crazy weather.
 
My family and I are in maui and we smashed to the north Shore yesterday to witness the big waves alot of people flocked to watch it was pretty impressive! The largest waves I've ever seen in person we watched at JAWS surf break 35-40ft waves cool to be here during such a rare event!!!
 
quietguy_imp said:
I'm reading these events are a result of the strong el nino.

I only posted this knowing one of our members lives near one of the danger areas...

And I only let it stand because of concern to one of our members mentioned in the original post. Not something we would normally talk about on a motorcycle forum.
 
Thread starter
The ferret_imp said:
quietguy_imp said:
I'm reading these events are a result of the strong el nino.

I only posted this knowing one of our members lives near one of the danger areas...

And I only let it stand because of concern to one of our members mentioned in the original post. Not something we would normally talk about on a motorcycle forum.

And I only let it stand because of concern to one of our members mentioned in the original post. Not something we would normally talk about on a motorcycle forum.
You're welcome to delete it...
 
Don't think that's necessary qg, but it had ONLY been about big waves I would have. Glad to hear Hula Dog is safe.
 
Ok finished work on Friday, time to head back to Hawaii early Saturday so I can ride my bike!

Thinking of riding along the windward and north shore to see how much sand washed over the road IF there isn't yet another extreme wave warning. Out of the loop since I'm in the desert this week although I do subscribe to the Nixle emergency feed from the state and city government.

Aloha,
Huladog


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 
Well they STILL have high surf warnings for the north and west shores so I rode around the south and east shores this morning.

Waves washed out part of the road again HERE so I skipped the windward coast to avoid traffic.

If you haven't had a chance to check out what a super special surf event "The Eddie" is about go [url=http://www.worldsurfleague.com/posts/182808/instant-classic-john-john-florence-takes-the-eddie]HERE.

Funny story about The Eddie, since it happens on rare occasions when it finally went off on Thursday morning the internet in Hawaii really slowed down with so many watching the HD live stream. I was in Arizona but started getting emails that our network was bogging down so I logged into our ISP and monitored the traffic, saw that staff maxed out the bandwidth on the network so I had to shoot off an email to all staff to STOP WATCHING SURF VIDEO!

Read [url=http://www.worldsurfleague.com/posts/182947/2016-eddie-crashes-hawaii-internet]"Eddie Outage: The Hawaiian Holiday Breaks the Internet"!

And just to show you that not all shores are getting pounded by big waves this was at Makapuu this morning, the gratuitous "how was your weather today" shot.



Oh, and while I was riding along the more southern shore along Hanauma Bay/Sandy Beach I happened to spot a couple of humpback whales breaching and spouting in the channel between Oahu and Molokai, but I have to keep my eyes on the road so I wouldn't run into some visitor driving the other way in their rental car looking for whales too!

Aloha!
Huladog
 
Back
Top