Engine Guards / Crash Bars

Not available here in the states yet. I REALLY want them, but I'm not willing to pay the premium to get them here yet.
 
Thread starter
Randy B_imp said:
Not available here in the states yet. I REALLY want them, but I'm not willing to pay the premium to get them here yet.
Yeah, the engine is really exposed. It would only take a garage tip-over to but a ding in the engine.
 
petec, thanks for the link to the SW Motech crash bars. The black ones like theirs will blend-in or 'hide' nicely against our black motors I think. I've given Twisted lots of business in the past, so will keep an eye on their website.
 
I had ordered the Over crash bars in stainless steel from Japanwebikefor a total cost of $367 including shipping to the USA but after acouple of weeks they returned my money to my Paypal account but no reason why.I send them an email to ask if they are out of stock but no reply.I have Renntec bars on my 94 and 95 CB1000,made in England and they are very good.Hopefully they will also make them for the CB1100.I am surprised that Honda did not have them for our bike as it important to have some protection for the engine.
 
I placed an order for the Motech crash bar today from twisted throttle, gave them a call as the item was not listed on their website yet. expecting delivery in around 4-5 weeks. :) .nice guys they are to deal with... Hopefully the home accessory market catches up soon for the big red. all these waits are painful.. :)
 
Houtman_imp said:
I had ordered the Over crash bars in stainless steel from Japanwebikefor a total cost of $367 including shipping to the USA but after acouple of weeks they returned my money to my Paypal account but no reason why.I send them an email to ask if they are out of stock but no reply.I have Renntec bars on my 94 and 95 CB1000,made in England and they are very good.Hopefully they will also make them for the CB1100.I am surprised that Honda did not have them for our bike as it important to have some protection for the engine.
Thanks for posting that. The Over bars were what I wanted. Tubular steel, if not chromed, then at least polished, not black.. very 70s - 80s looking. Plastic sliders would be effective but they look too 'modern' for the bike as I'd like it.
 
Geezalou..its not the 70s anymore, is it? I used to sell those mini guards ( we called them case savers) for $ 40 all day long. The full engine guards with pegs on the inside for highway pegs were like $ 90
 
The ferret_imp said:
Geezalou..its not the 70s anymore, is it? I used to sell those mini guards ( we called them case savers) for $ 40 all day long. The full engine guards with pegs on the inside for highway pegs were like $ 90
I know. I have to keep reminding myself that a donut and a cup of coffee is not 35 cents anymore.

I suppose 2 bills is not too much for case savers. But, I keep remembering I only paid $10,300 O.T.D. for my whole bike.

Oh, well. After I take the plunge and buy (eventually) a set of 4-4 exhaust, 200 bucks will seem like chump change.
 
I'm a bit older than you SRT but I have a hard time paying $2 for a soft drink or cup of tea with my meal. My wife always tells me I should drink more water, but I think economics is making me drink more water than anything else lol
 
Water is best. I use it in my Green Tea, and I triple filter all drinking water with a GE filter that costs 15 bucks every 6 months.

I don't drink soda, just 100% juice. But water, mostly. You'd be surprised how much you save.

Saves your liver and kidneys, also, from all that sugar and stuff.

My...but are we off-course.

I now return you to your regularly scheduled program.
 
wildezt_imp said:
I placed an order for the Motech crash bar today from twisted throttle, gave them a call as the item was not listed on their website yet. expecting delivery in around 4-5 weeks. :) .nice guys they are to deal with... Hopefully the home accessory market catches up soon for the big red. all these waits are painful.. :)
I just placed my order with twisted throttle.
They told me they are expecting 4 to come in June 17th. One was already taken (my best guess is it is going to wildezt;) )
Now one will be sent to me as soon as they get them in.
The product total was $152.50 and the shipping to me in California was $15
 
Here ya are, Ron -- this link is from page one of this thread, supplied originally by someone else:

http://shop.sw-motech.com/cgi-bin/cosmos...d=99067871

They look nice and stout and well-engineered. I'm not crazy about the metal C-ring 'loop' that wraps around the lower frame as I've seen others that have clamps that wrap around the frame and mimic the shape of the frame. I can see myself applying some 3M clear film to the frame if I were to use engine guards with the more integrated type clamp like I've seen on some of the Japanese engine guards. I suppose you could also mount it over a cut piece of bicycle inner tube to prevent scratching the frame.

I don't know why, I just don't like those D-ring clamps. Maybe I'm just being anal. I suppose it has something to do with the fact that I removed the giant transverse crashbar from an RD400 I'm restoring and saw the gouging its c-ring clamps did to the frame, which of course, after 35 some years, formed surface rust at the attachment point, and this on a bike that was virtually rust-free. It's the one reason I'm still considering sliders as engine guards though they suit the character of this bike less than crash bars.

EDIT: I just looked at the install instructions for the SW-Motech bars and it looks like they do supply a sort of shim to wrap around the frame to protect it from the clamp, so let me give credit where credit is due. Here's the install instructions: http://shop.sw-motech.com/cosmoshop/artikelpdf/sbl_01_331_10000_b.pdf
 
redReno_imp said:
wildezt_imp said:
I placed an order for the Motech crash bar today from twisted throttle, gave them a call as the item was not listed on their website yet. expecting delivery in around 4-5 weeks. :) .nice guys they are to deal with... Hopefully the home accessory market catches up soon for the big red. all these waits are painful.. :)
I just placed my order with twisted throttle.
They told me they are expecting 4 to come in June 17th. One was already taken (my best guess is it is going to wildezt;) )
Now one will be sent to me as soon as they get them in.
The product total was $152.50 and the shipping to me in California was $15
I just placed my order with twisted throttle.
They told me they are expecting 4 to come in June 17th. One was already taken (my best guess is it is going to wildezt;) )
Now one will be sent to me as soon as they get them in.
The product total was $152.50 and the shipping to me in California was $15
That is right Reno. :)
 
I think they look nice and go well with the bike up close, but once I see them with the whole bike in the picture I think they kind of look goofy.

I like how modern sliders are small, but in my opinion they don't go as well on the CB1100 as they do on sport bikes and offer less protection anyway.

I settled on these because though they might look slightly goofy to me, I think they go best with the bike out of other crash/engine guards that offer similar protection. I didn't want to go with chrome ones because the headers aren't chrome, I like that the bars are black and look like they are apart of the frame.

I can post several pics of them on the bike at different angles once I they come in. :)
 
Nice looking bags in that picture
 
Back
Top