Engine Case Logo

CB4ME_imp

Road warrior
Thread starter
Has anyone painted the Honda logo on their 2013 engine cases:

f06cc85e07e077de82b6d97f52fbb1e5.jpg


To look like the 2014 Deluxe cases?

8136de18ba96105d6967913b525760be.jpg


Any techniques you’d recommend?

Are there liquid masking products? I’ve seen them for home improvement but not for the work required on a bike.
 
An old friend of mine is a sign painter, he does everything free-hand. He does artwork on bikes from time to time, (striping, caricatures, etc.). I saw him do a similar job to what you are asking about on an older bike, I think it was a Honda but I don't remember, it was several years ago.

He simply used wide masking tape. He cleaned the engine cover very thoroughly, then he put a single strip to cover the logo, and smoothed it down very thoroughly. He then used a scalpel blade to trim away the tape from the letters, and painted black with a very small brush. When dry, he pulled off the paint and it looked like a factory job.

The trick is to be very, very, patient, you need a precise, steady hand.
 
Oooooh.. Didn't notice that on the 2014 Deluxe. Very nice :thumbsup:
 
How much is a new cover with the Logo already on it?
 
Great question. Been contemplating doing this mod myself. I did this on my little 68 Honda Z50 MiniTrail when I restored it a few years back but I was able to take the covers off and set them down level on a table. I used Gloss Black Testors model paint and a tooth pick. Allow the paint blob to roll into the letter and then while still wet move it around the letter to fill it in. The paint if wet enough will self level.

I like the idea of using some blue painters tape and masking off the logo followed by carefully cutting the letters out with an Xacto knife. I think you could either free hand it with some modeling paint and a brush or mask off the side of the engine case and use some black engine paint in a rattle can. Allow to dry and pull the tape off.

I may try this in the Spring.
 
FYI, if by "modeling paint" you mean something like Testors paint for scale models, I know that stuff doesn't belong on a bicycle, so it surely doesn't belong on a motorcycle engine. I'd be a bit careful on paint selection...you may want to consider how hot the engine case might get.
 
PowderToastMan_imp said:
Lord Popgun_imp said:
How much is a new cover with the Logo already on it?
Here's the pricing for OEM parts for the '13:
http://www.cyclepartsnation.com/oemparts/a/hon/511a8d6ef870022e4ccd323a/right-crankcase-cover

The right side cover shows 75 bucks, and the left side is about 100 bucks.
I don't imagine the same parts for the '14 will cost much different.

Personally I might rather like to have the all-black ones from the '14 standard, though.
Here's the pricing for OEM parts for the '13:
http://www.cyclepartsnation.com/oemparts/a/hon/511a8d6ef870022e4ccd323a/right-crankcase-cover

The right side cover shows 75 bucks, and the left side is about 100 bucks.
I don't imagine the same parts for the '14 will cost much different.

Personally I might rather like to have the all-black ones from the '14 standard, though.
You need the clutch cover, part #2, which includes about $35 of extra stuff you don't need.

Incidentally, the clutch cover uses a sealant to make sure oil doesn't leak, rather than a gasket, and is therefore a giant pain in the ass to remove and replace. You also have to drain the oil before removing.
 
Thread starter
Deanohh_imp said:
I want that cool invisible brake pedal.
You had me for a second. I think it's highly polished and reflecting the peg.

I found a sure proof way to get the painted Honda logo on the engine cases. Buy a 2014 CB1100. Wife likes the Deluxe! :banana:
 
CB4ME_imp said:
Deanohh_imp said:
I want that cool invisible brake pedal.
You had me for a second. I think it's highly polished and reflecting the peg.

I found a sure proof way to get the painted Honda logo on the engine cases. Buy a 2014 CB1100. Wife likes the Deluxe! :banana:
You had me for a second. I think it's highly polished and reflecting the peg.

I found a sure proof way to get the painted Honda logo on the engine cases. Buy a 2014 CB1100. Wife likes the Deluxe! :banana:
To your wife... :worship:
Actually... mine too, she didn't give me a hard time.
 
Actually my wife liked the look of the Deluxe as well, particularly the pipe on the left side
 
Back
Top