End of the road

If he's under-insured, the medical costs above his limits would possibly roll over to your insurance if you have uninsured/under-insured coverage on your policy. If so, they'd make an effort to go after his assets once they take care of you, but that would be to recoup their costs. If not, you'd have to have the means, most likely through an attorney, to find out if he has assets that are collectible against. And I certainly would hope that he does.
 
Medical costs...
Here in the UK, we're horrified to hear of situations like VLJ's, where the medical help you need depends on whether
1. either you can pay (via insurance) or
2. via someone else's insurance.

Here in the UK, ALL medical costs, post operative help and support, including nursing care at home and most medications, are free. Medication prescriptions are free for over 60s, school age, unemployed, disabled. This is paid for by Government via a National Insurance Schene - a nominal amount from your wages. We are horrified to hear of the possibility of going untreated if you're not insured or under-insured. I think the other Commonwealth countries have similarly-funded schemes to the UK. Canada, Australia & New Zealand.

I hope your insurance business sorts itself out, VLJ, and you get paid out for all your damages, but mostly that all your medical care gets covered.
Best wishes to you.
 
Thread starter
Saw that one, and the new Ninja 1000. That gray and blue Z900 is just awful. Would have to go black/gray/green again.

The new frame is just a further strengthening of the recalled shock mount. The addition of LED lighting is cool. I guess I'm okay with the new TFT screen, although I have zero complaints with the current, low-tech dash. I don't care about the addition of TCT and ride modes.

All in all, is a new TFT screen and LED lighting worth the $500 premium they're charging for the 2020 model?

I don't know. It's close.

On the Ninja 1000 side, I see some hits and misses. Good to see that they added cruise control, since so many people whined about its absence. I'd rather they added heated grips, or both. The extra balance shaft in the motor ought be a good thing. Hopefully the new fairing and windshield make for smoother windflow. The same new TFT dash found on the Z900 is a solid upgrade.

No centerstand option is still a big miss in this category. I already mentioned the lack of heated grips. Not sure whether the addition of the new balance shaft will do the job, in terms of quelling engine vibration. The Z900 is freakishly smooth. A big sport-tourer like the Ninja 1000 needs that same sort of magic carpet ride in the midrange, and for sustained droning on the highway.

I like both new models. They did more, though, with the new Ninja 1000.
 
Don't know if you have it, but if you do; and my neighbor had it so I"ll repeat her PSA: Uninsured and under insured are two different riders. For me it was a $15.00 addition on our car. $40.00 per bike though.

Anyway, some landscaper with the bare minimum totaled her SUV and her. She had under insured so she's good.

If YOU don't have it, in this day and age of folks just barely scratching by, under insured is a good idea.

VLJ; I hope your recovery home is better than described. I have had friends and family in them in Arizona and Minnesota. Both were good (the one in Minnesota was really good).
 
So sorry to hear about your accident, it appears you are getting good medical care.
Hopefully the driver will have loads of coverage.
Everyone should take time to review their own policies to check your coverage limits for uninsured and underinsured motorist and raise them as needed.
Sorry you had to go thru this to help bring this important insurance to light
 
Not saying this is the case here, but there seems to be a problem with drivers without a license, and drivers without insurance coverage. Not a new problem, but a continuing problem. Sometimes it seems those offenders are repeat offenders. There are many illegal drivers out there and it seems challenging to enforce everybody.
 
Back in 1990, my wife was riding her bicycle with our 9 yo son, when she was hit by a pick up driver. It was bad. They weren't sure she was going to survive the night (our son was ok), but she did, thank God. The driver that hit her had state minimum liability insurance which was $13,500. Her first 3 days in the hospital, the bills totaled $34,000. She spent 7 weeks in the hospital and a nursing home for recovery. Luckily I had good under-insured/uninsured coverage and my insurance company covered our bills. Have no idea what the final bills amounted to, but it had to be staggering. I guess I have repaid them with my premiums by not having any accidents in the intervening 29 years years and carrying full cov ins plus under/unins coverage on up to 8 vehicles (6 motorcycles and 2 cars).

IMO people should be required to carry at least $ 250,000 of liability ins.at a minimum. $13,500 is a joke with medical costs being what they are today.
 
Consider how far you have progressed in such a short period of time. Rehab is hard, tedious, boring and (sorry to say) painful.
But it's progressive. Your humor sounds great, attitude is number one. Celebrate the little victories.
 
Thread starter
southwend_imp said:
Consider how far you have progressed in such a short period of time. Rehab is hard, tedious, boring and (sorry to say) painful.
But it's progressive. Your humor sounds great, attitude is number one. Celebrate the little victories.
Like...pooping rather loudly in a blue plastic bucket while doing everything possible to avoid making eye contact with my hot little Emily Ratajkowski-wannabe physical therapist?

Yay!?
 
Your great sense of humour helps your healing..
Send her pic, we'll make eye contact with her, and let you know....:P

5c7c0a583262fddead3f478a59752a2a.jpg

:beerchug:
 
The humor outweighs the humility of that visual you just gave us, VLJ! Yes, as Peterbaron says, try to snap a pic...

Reminds me of some advice a friend gave me a while back before routine surgery. "Pray that the anesthesiologist isn't an attractive girl. She'll be the last thing you see until you wake up. And you'll probably wake up making some sort of semi-rude comment about her."

When I woke up, my wife was looking down, smiling at me. The first thing I blurted out was "Did I just say anything?!!"

And regarding the insurance comments, yes, for gosh sake we should all very very aware of what coverage we carry and to what limits. As a former claims rep, I hated to hear someone say "What do you mean I'm not covered for this? My agent never told me!" "Well, the agent sold you a policy that you probably never looked at, and since he was probably very friendly and nice to you, you had the impression that he had your best interests in mind and that you would be covered against anything that might ever happen."

In the case of elderly drivers, many times I have seen agents pile on every coverage under the sun and to the highest limits possible. The agent is looking to make a good commission, and is betting that the client will just OK everything without questioning it. I love my mom, but she'll hand money to anyone who treats her nicely. I reviewed her policy, and removed a bunch of stuff that was redundant or unnecessary ("You don't need roadside assistance, you already have AAA").

I've got my fingers crossed that the gentleman who hit you is covered to the hilt.
 
Back
Top