Eleven Whole Miles!

cookiemech

Running like a top
Thread starter
Anticipation is sweet, but the suspense was killing me . . . anyway, the sales manager called me yesterday morning to say that my 2017 EX was finally in! Since it was only about 37°F at noon (and the bike had nowhere to plug in heated clothing, yet), they said they'd deliver the bike. It arrived around 5:00 PM and I HAD to take it for a short ride, since snow was expected (and, yeah, it's white outside this morning).

Oh, my . . . it's everything I imagined it to be and more! I did not expect a big four-cylinder engine to pull hard at low rpms like that. Smooth and sweet. Obviously I did not try to run it hard and never went above 60 mph (this road wouldn't permit it anyway), but what a sweetheart! It felt the most natural of any new bike I've ever ridden. For example, when I bought my first Harley Road King in 2007 (and this after riding for 28 years), it felt as though I wasn't really controlling the machine (nowadays, a Road King feels very comfortable and natural to me). When I bought my KLR, it felt as though I was perched atop something like a toy (and now it's easy and pleasant).

But the Honda felt immediately as though I'd had it for years. I guess I shouldn't be surprised, because they do an outstanding job of making silky engines/transmissions and creating an overall smooth package in their cars and motorcycles.

I spent a couple of hours in my garage last evening just looking at it . . .
 
Congratulations cookiemech!

It’s always exciting to have that ‘new bike smell’ in the garage, especially one of these bikes...enjoy!
 
cookiemech_imp said:
Anticipation is sweet, but the suspense was killing me . . . anyway, the sales manager called me yesterday morning to say that my 2017 EX was finally in! Since it was only about 37°F at noon (and the bike had nowhere to plug in heated clothing, yet), they said they'd deliver the bike. It arrived around 5:00 PM and I HAD to take it for a short ride, since snow was expected (and, yeah, it's white outside this morning).

Oh, my . . . it's everything I imagined it to be and more! I did not expect a big four-cylinder engine to pull hard at low rpms like that. Smooth and sweet. Obviously I did not try to run it hard and never went above 60 mph (this road wouldn't permit it anyway), but what a sweetheart! It felt the most natural of any new bike I've ever ridden. For example, when I bought my first Harley Road King in 2007 (and this after riding for 28 years), it felt as though I wasn't really controlling the machine (nowadays, a Road King feels very comfortable and natural to me). When I bought my KLR, it felt as though I was perched atop something like a toy (and now it's easy and pleasant).

But the Honda felt immediately as though I'd had it for years. I guess I shouldn't be surprised, because they do an outstanding job of making silky engines/transmissions and creating an overall smooth package in their cars and motorcycles.

I spent a couple of hours in my garage last evening just looking at it . . .
Your post made me smile and is almost identical to my feelings the day I rode my CB home.
Congrats on the new purchase :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
 
Thread starter
Not sure why I'm so excited about this particular bike; I've had quite a few new ones.

Maybe it's because it makes me feel as though I'm 21 years old and suddenly able to afford a really fantastic new Honda. When I was 21 I could barely afford the old CB450 I bought! And 40 years ago, even the new Hondas couldn't compare with this one.
 
Congratulations.

Interesting that you felt as though you’d had it for years. That’s almost the exact same thing I told my dealer after my first test ride back in 2013 and I didn’t even have the many years of riding experience that you have.

Enjoy getting to know your bike, although I’d say that you know it pretty well already.
 
Congratulations. I know the feeling of just going into the garage and just looking at it.
 
- felt like you've had it for years
- felt like you're 21 all over again
- even though you've had new bikes before, this one is different
- natural and comfortable right off the bat

Honda built a winner here :)
 
Interesting to hear your comments. I bought my 2014 DLX about 2 years ago, and this was after a 26+ year "vacation" from motorcycling -- job, kid, family, etc was my excuse. I was a bit overwhelmed for a few miles, but that feeling quickly faded, and it felt like I'd owned that bike all my life. What really struck me very early on was just how smoothly it handled the hills and curves where I live. I felt like I could keep it in either third or fourth gear and never have to shift all day, if I wanted to. It just handles low rpm thru midrage effortlessly.

Enjoy your new ride for many miles!
 
I love my 2014! I have a few other bikes, but this one is special because it takes me on a 45 year time warp to when I was a teenager in high school.
 
Congratulations cookiemech! You and VLJ picking up new CBs within a week of each other, that's pretty cool. Enjoy!
 
I remember my old CB450 well. It had a green and gold-striped-tank. A bike I could ride all day, although to be fair, in my youth I think I could have ridden any bike all day. My 2016 CB1100A gives that ride and more...
 
remember my 450 black bomber as well too. It was giant compared to my first few bikes, and a vibrating son of a gun. I still liked it though.
 
The ferret_imp said:
remember my 450 black bomber as well too. It was giant compared to my first few bikes, and a vibrating son of a gun. I still liked it though.
Some folks pay money on a chair that can give that similar vibration on demand.
 
cookiemech_imp said:
Not sure why I'm so excited about this particular bike; I've had quite a few new ones.

Maybe it's because it makes me feel as though I'm 21 years old and suddenly able to afford a really fantastic new Honda. When I was 21 I could barely afford the old CB450 I bought! And 40 years ago, even the new Hondas couldn't compare with this one.
Ummm, because it's extra-super-duper stupidly gorgeous and downright AWESOME?

That'd be my guess.
 
Unlike many of you on this forum whom I have come to respect as being experienced riders and knowledgeable Mechanics, I was led to the CB1100 by my heart and only after realized I had made a smart choice. I came back to motorcycling last summer after a thirty-five year hiatus. But, I was not idle during that hiatus. I was very much into Mountain Bike cycling while raising a family and earning a livelihood. After riding many lighter aluminum frame bikes, I came to appreciate the heavier but nimbler steel frame for a mountain bike. I think that might apply to why I love the ride of the CB1100 as well.
 
clearviewx_imp said:
Congratulations. I know the feeling of just going into the garage and just looking at it.
Good on ya with the new bike, Cookie! It's a known addiction - the looks of this bike. Mine is parked in front of my car's spot. Get to stare at it every day!
 
Congrats! Sounds like you and the 2017 CB bonded instantly. I suspect the new Showa suspension and other unseen improvements make for a really sweet ride.

Just imagine how you'll enjoy this bike on your first 70 degree sunny day!

Bob
 
Back
Top