Easy RLET installation, using a sheep castrator

rich_imp said:
i just use my hands
but it is best to warm them up first
or the sheep will jump.
Ah, yes, to be clear: when I advocate for 17 seconds in the microwave with a dab of olive oil, I am not refering to the sheep, nor any parts they might have.
 
2017EX_imp said:
I too struggled and cursed during manual installation of RLETS on my Monkey and CB. Yes, I was/am familiar with all the little tricks like heating in boiling water, and soap, but I also have arthritis in my hands which makes it a bit more difficult. I found a lot of these tools on eBay. The best listing I found was for $7.95 with free shipping, but the listing also said to make offer. I offered $7, seller countered at $7.45, and I bought it resulting in a total cost of $8.06 including shipping and tax.

I may never use the tool, as other have pointed out, but for $8, what the heck. Here is a link to the Ebay listing: https://www.ebay.com/itm/253365796390
Amazon listings were significantly more expensive, as I imagine farm supply stores would be as well.
Thanks to all.

£3.95 on eBay, £1.95 P&P... about $8/9 I suppose. I thought it worth it, even if only as a talking point with bored onlookers...

I split one of the RLETS, struggling to put the little b***** on! So I got one of these devices for a laugh... and it worked brilliantly, better than I'd hoped. A tiny squirt of WD40 and it just slid on, with no drama - I carefully heated the RLET in a cup of boling water first, being sure not to get any water inside the bubble.

By the way, what is the OFFICIAL, CB1100 Forum name for this device? "RLET-go" perhaps? No prizes for better guesses... :clap:

Here is the "RLET-go", in action...

2f0a75d800bd565eca6f593825579e3d.jpg


610db2ef1d37aabe574523c12fbd042c.jpg


43fa2c375cf21ae69efc96ecd841d417.jpg

When I bought the "RLET-go" (they.called it a "sheep castrator", but 'pah!' what do they know?) the joints and sliding pieces were VERY stiff. I used a light oil (NOT WD40/PlusGas, etc) and it's silky smooth now. And hopefully won't rust either. It is a VERY cheaply made item, but the amount of use I will give it, doesn’t warrant buying one of better quality.

And if any riders are near Torbay, UK, feel free to stop by for a mug of tea, biscuits and free fitting of your RLETs, using the famous "RLET-go"! :D
 
Bazbro_imp said:
2017EX_imp said:
I too struggled and cursed during manual installation of RLETS on my Monkey and CB. Yes, I was/am familiar with all the little tricks like heating in boiling water, and soap, but I also have arthritis in my hands which makes it a bit more difficult. I found a lot of these tools on eBay. The best listing I found was for $7.95 with free shipping, but the listing also said to make offer. I offered $7, seller countered at $7.45, and I bought it resulting in a total cost of $8.06 including shipping and tax.

I may never use the tool, as other have pointed out, but for $8, what the heck. Here is a link to the Ebay listing: https://www.ebay.com/itm/253365796390
Amazon listings were significantly more expensive, as I imagine farm supply stores would be as well.
Thanks to all.

£3.95 on eBay, £1.95 P&P... about $8/9 I suppose. I thought it worth it, even if only as a talking point with bored onlookers...

I split one of the RLETS, struggling to put the little b***** on! So I got one of these devices for a laugh... and it worked brilliantly, better than I'd hoped. A tiny squirt of WD40 and it just slid on, with no drama - I carefully heated the RLET in a cup of boling water first, being sure not to get any water inside the bubble.

By the way, what is the OFFICIAL, CB1100 Forum name for this device? "RLET-go" perhaps? No prizes for better guesses... :clap:

Here is the "RLET-go", in action...

2f0a75d800bd565eca6f593825579e3d.jpg


610db2ef1d37aabe574523c12fbd042c.jpg


43fa2c375cf21ae69efc96ecd841d417.jpg

When I bought the "RLET-go" (they.called it a "sheep castrator", but 'pah!' what do they know?) the joints and sliding pieces were VERY stiff. I used a light oil (NOT WD40/PlusGas, etc) and it's silky smooth now. And hopefully won't rust either. It is a VERY cheaply made item, but the amount of use I will give it, doesn’t warrant buying one of better quality.

And if any riders are near Torbay, UK, feel free to stop by for a mug of tea, biscuits and free fitting of your RLETs, using the famous "RLET-go"! :D
I don't dare to answer this question :blush:
We need our RLET guru and top Sindicate Lord Popgun to choose and decide...... awaiting your decision MiLord :D
:worship:
 
I’d be worried about the ‘cup of tea’!
 
Cormanus_imp said:
I’d be worried about the ‘cup of tea’!
And rightly so... It should be a MUG of tea in the workshop, on the building site, or working.in the garden.

A CUP of tea is for when the vicar or the mother-in-law calls, or when Mum makes herself a nice cuppa!

Of course, a bottle of "Spitfire" or one of the Dartmoor Ales might be nicer, but not when I'm on the "falling over machine "! :rolleyes:
 
peterbaron_imp said:
Bazbro_imp said:
2017EX_imp said:
I too struggled and cursed during manual installation of RLETS on my Monkey and CB. Yes, I was/am familiar with all the little tricks like heating in boiling water, and soap, but I also have arthritis in my hands which makes it a bit more difficult. I found a lot of these tools on eBay. The best listing I found was for $7.95 with free shipping, but the listing also said to make offer. I offered $7, seller countered at $7.45, and I bought it resulting in a total cost of $8.06 including shipping and tax.

I may never use the tool, as other have pointed out, but for $8, what the heck. Here is a link to the Ebay listing: https://www.ebay.com/itm/253365796390
Amazon listings were significantly more expensive, as I imagine farm supply stores would be as well.
Thanks to all.

£3.95 on eBay, £1.95 P&P... about $8/9 I suppose. I thought it worth it, even if only as a talking point with bored onlookers...

I split one of the RLETS, struggling to put the little b***** on! So I got one of these devices for a laugh... and it worked brilliantly, better than I'd hoped. A tiny squirt of WD40 and it just slid on, with no drama - I carefully heated the RLET in a cup of boling water first, being sure not to get any water inside the bubble.

By the way, what is the OFFICIAL, CB1100 Forum name for this device? "RLET-go" perhaps? No prizes for better guesses... :clap:

Here is the "RLET-go", in action...

2f0a75d800bd565eca6f593825579e3d.jpg


610db2ef1d37aabe574523c12fbd042c.jpg


43fa2c375cf21ae69efc96ecd841d417.jpg

When I bought the "RLET-go" (they.called it a "sheep castrator", but 'pah!' what do they know?) the joints and sliding pieces were VERY stiff. I used a light oil (NOT WD40/PlusGas, etc) and it's silky smooth now. And hopefully won't rust either. It is a VERY cheaply made item, but the amount of use I will give it, doesn’t warrant buying one of better quality.

And if any riders are near Torbay, UK, feel free to stop by for a mug of tea, biscuits and free fitting of your RLETs, using the famous "RLET-go"! :D
I don't dare to answer this question :blush:
We need our RLET guru and top Sindicate Lord Popgun to choose and decide...... awaiting your decision MiLord :D
:worship:
I don't dare to answer this question :blush:
We need our RLET guru and top Sindicate Lord Popgun to choose and decide...... awaiting your decision MiLord :D
:worship:
I don't know what to make of this. Some Padawans just want the easy way out. Or, they are very smart and Improvise, Adapt, Overcome.

Or, there is no try. Do or do not. Looks like he did :D


Maybe Ferret can speak to this.
peterbaron_imp said:
Bazbro_imp said:
2017EX_imp said:
I too struggled and cursed during manual installation of RLETS on my Monkey and CB. Yes, I was/am familiar with all the little tricks like heating in boiling water, and soap, but I also have arthritis in my hands which makes it a bit more difficult. I found a lot of these tools on eBay. The best listing I found was for $7.95 with free shipping, but the listing also said to make offer. I offered $7, seller countered at $7.45, and I bought it resulting in a total cost of $8.06 including shipping and tax.

I may never use the tool, as other have pointed out, but for $8, what the heck. Here is a link to the Ebay listing: https://www.ebay.com/itm/253365796390
Amazon listings were significantly more expensive, as I imagine farm supply stores would be as well.
Thanks to all.

£3.95 on eBay, £1.95 P&P... about $8/9 I suppose. I thought it worth it, even if only as a talking point with bored onlookers...

I split one of the RLETS, struggling to put the little b***** on! So I got one of these devices for a laugh... and it worked brilliantly, better than I'd hoped. A tiny squirt of WD40 and it just slid on, with no drama - I carefully heated the RLET in a cup of boling water first, being sure not to get any water inside the bubble.

By the way, what is the OFFICIAL, CB1100 Forum name for this device? "RLET-go" perhaps? No prizes for better guesses... :clap:

Here is the "RLET-go", in action...

2f0a75d800bd565eca6f593825579e3d.jpg


610db2ef1d37aabe574523c12fbd042c.jpg


43fa2c375cf21ae69efc96ecd841d417.jpg

When I bought the "RLET-go" (they.called it a "sheep castrator", but 'pah!' what do they know?) the joints and sliding pieces were VERY stiff. I used a light oil (NOT WD40/PlusGas, etc) and it's silky smooth now. And hopefully won't rust either. It is a VERY cheaply made item, but the amount of use I will give it, doesn’t warrant buying one of better quality.

And if any riders are near Torbay, UK, feel free to stop by for a mug of tea, biscuits and free fitting of your RLETs, using the famous "RLET-go"! :D
I don't dare to answer this question :blush:
We need our RLET guru and top Sindicate Lord Popgun to choose and decide...... awaiting your decision MiLord :D
:worship:
I don't dare to answer this question :blush:
We need our RLET guru and top Sindicate Lord Popgun to choose and decide...... awaiting your decision MiLord :D
:worship:
I don't know what to make of this. Some Padawans just want the easy way out. Or, they are very smart and Improvise, Adapt, Overcome.

Or, there is no try. Do or do not. Looks like he did :D


Maybe Ferret can speak to this.

I don't know why I'm getting a double post. Sorry about that.
 
How they get on, is not important.

That they get on, is what is important
 
Owww! I don't want to watch that again.

Heck, put a drop of soap into it for lubrication, grab it with a rag so it doesn't slip out of your hand, and just shove. Ten seconds, tops.
 
Gone in 60_imp said:
Owww! I don't want to watch that again.

Heck, put a drop of soap into it for lubrication, grab it with a rag so it doesn't slip out of your hand, and just shove. Ten seconds, tops.
A big (+1) with the Gone.

Is there a pick of the "split RLET"? Maybe the Forum can learn something from its sacrifice.
 
GoldOxide_imp said:
Gone in 60_imp said:
Owww! I don't want to watch that again.

Heck, put a drop of soap into it for lubrication, grab it with a rag so it doesn't slip out of your hand, and just shove. Ten seconds, tops.
A big (+1) with the Gone.

Is there a pick of the "split RLET"? Maybe the Forum can learn something from its sacrifice.
A big (+1) with the Gone.

Is there a pick of the "split RLET"? Maybe the Forum can learn something from its sacrifice.
No pic, I'm afraid, GO... the event was all too tragic. VERY upsetting.....It was gently 'laid to rest' on a bed of motorcycle magazines with full motorcycle honours (playing in the background a Stanley Schofield recording of Mike Hailwood's 350 Honda Six, screaming down the Glencrutchery Road on the Isle of Man). It was a very moving ceremony...

I agree that "soap" is probably the way to go - it was how all old British 'bike handlebar grips were fitted 'back in the day', and none if this "special Honda handlebar grip adhesive" nonsense ! They mention the adhesive in the workshop manual. My mistake was to not soften it first in hot water, and then use a thin screwdriver to try and slide it on.

Anyhows, hot water, a splash of WD40 and my trusty new tool, the "RLET-go", and Bingo! on it went! :excited:
 
Handlebar grip adhesive? Never heard of it.

I don't see how an RLET would ever need to be glued in, but if need be, I've always used hair spray as a grip adhesive. Spray liberally into the grip. It's a lubricant until it dries, then it's glue.
 
GoldOxide_imp said:
peterbaron_imp said:
The ferret_imp said:
How they get on, is not important.

That they get on, is what is important
Wisely said.
Now, we all know.
:beerchug:
Wisely said.
Now, we all know.
:beerchug:
... even if they got split?
Wisely said.
Now, we all know.
:beerchug:
... even if they got split?
GO, the RLET Big Three Syndicate (Cormanus, Ferret, and Lord Popgun) has already spoken on the matter ... and it's better for your own safety not to disturb the Ring :D
:beerchug:
 
The thread is about "using a sheep castrator".

As a result, it would be a learning to all that is Forum to visualize and pay respects to a split RLET.
 
Bazbro_imp said:
Cormanus_imp said:
I’d be worried about the ‘cup of tea’!
And rightly so... It should be a MUG of tea in the workshop, on the building site, or working.in the garden.

A CUP of tea is for when the vicar or the mother-in-law calls, or when Mum makes herself a nice cuppa!

Of course, a bottle of "Spitfire" or one of the Dartmoor Ales might be nicer, but not when I'm on the "falling over machine "! :rolleyes:
And rightly so... It should be a MUG of tea in the workshop, on the building site, or working.in the garden.

A CUP of tea is for when the vicar or the mother-in-law calls, or when Mum makes herself a nice cuppa!

Of course, a bottle of "Spitfire" or one of the Dartmoor Ales might be nicer, but not when I'm on the "falling over machine "! :rolleyes:
I didn't really put my post very well when I think about it. Must have been late in the day.

I meant that the prospect of being met at the door by a bloke with a sheep castrator in one hand, squeezing an RLET in the other, and saying, "My dear fellow, do come in and have a cup of tea" was rather terrifying. Sort of like being asked in for a cream bun by Hannibal Lector or someone of that ilk.
 
Soon we will have the National Sheep Protection Association coming after us , they are part of PETA so be warned . I do like lamb chops but keep that to myself.
 
Back
Top