Ducati (ex) owners?

I could see the invoice quote well , at least you did get some discounts !
Some prices are comparable with USA prices . Of course this also depends on the exchange rate.
 
Thread starter
in retrospect, the chainset and front tire are not part of the Desmo service and when looking what I paid for those to jobs and parts alone:

Lets say its one hour of work to do the chain and sprockets.
Thats 58 euro labor + 373 for the full chainset.
Than there is the 200 euro for the tire incl. labor.
Those two things alone are 631 euro.

That makes the Desmo service a lot cheaper, if you look at it that way!

I wonder, do many owners already have their tires and chainset changed by the time the Desmo service is due?
did some research and concluded, next time I'll get the sprockets and chain by myself and get them installed by a friend/mechanic (and watch closely so I could do it myself in the future)

cause the whole chainset is a bit at the high end.
Found that same DID chain for about 70 euro's cheaper.
Could get any info about the rear sprocket, but I found many online for 30 euro's cheaper too.

All that said, the Multi is what it is because of its chain driven characteristics, wich is a beast. :)
But I do get the saying:
68dfc977e2dfa5d93c4371900fc278a9.jpg
 
Thread starter
ow minor detail

I'VE GOT AN OIL LEAK

2034 euro and this is what I get, cuss that! :@

Saw a drop yesterday afternoon and a shiny rubber floor mat....wich made me conclude I'm cuss!

So I cleaned up the engine, made some pictures, rode it for about half an hour and waited for verification, and indeed, oil began to form, luckely at only one spot as far as I can see.

Its at the tip of the right plastic cover in front of the engine, the horizontal cilinder.....

Also I actually asked him to fill up my coolant because it was at minimum, level, so when I saw nothing of this in the invoice I asked if they renewed or fulled up my coolant, the guy at the shop said: fill up.

But when looking with a flashlight, I saw the level was same as before, low :dodgy:

After the issues i had from the start (remember my topics of wrong gps wiring and brake pads that were bad) I've just had it with these guys. :@

the pictures

e54461b6ed714bc40e1988597a5979fc.jpg

1c706296cddcf4f6c305ad163c33c410.jpg

695fc78a7e414823279c24f9ad5f7964.jpg

789b1da8b61f611af040ffcdb43639f7.jpg


Dealers got my mail with the pictures, today is a closing day, so I'll await his answer by tomorrow.

Meanwhile I've had contact with a smaller independent mechanic, and doing some inquieries if he is capable of servicing these kind of modern euro bikes, since I've had it with these "official" sloth dealerships :rolleyes::dodgy:
Hoping he can service my bike in the future, after my expensive historically cuss up dealer has remedied the issue first.
 
That's a shame Riko. My son has a Ducati they can't seem to fix an oil leak on after a couple tries. But on his Ducati that's the least of his worries lol.
 
The ferret_imp said:
That's a shame Riko. My son has a Ducati they can't seem to fix an oil leak on after a couple tries. But on his Ducati that's the least of his worries lol.
:huh:, first, needs to be diagnosed prior repair....this is why has not been fixed so far
 
Par for the course on Italian bikes. My Aprilia did it by two years. I tried to ignore it, and it worked - it stopped. But a year later the coolant started.
 
Thread starter
Its in and the lead mechanic (I suppose) and staff were very apologetic.
And he even brought me to the workbench asap to show me the internals.

Belts were clean indeed, no oil, so the leak was limited to that one spot.
They have to change 2 rubber parts, from wich one was not in stock, that is why I had this replacement bike.
0f303496c757162bea193cc4d41a4564.jpg

fb5e987acb6f8b8b3c93348c463a0324.jpg


They let me choise whatever I wanted (that was free)

He did told me, its not the first time this happened, its a know "issue"
Seems to be a part that seals difficulty....

Other than that, I told em to TAKE YOUR TIME!!!  

Kinda glad the way they handled it to be honest...
 
Thread starter
New update!
Unfortunately a not so cool update because I eventually ended up with the same bombastic loaner bike Supderduke :cool:

So I got a phone call, much faster than expected, because the needed parts already came in from a previous order, so I could pick up my Multi, the oil leak should be solved.
Than I got ready to ride off, and after a few meters I got a yellow engine light :dodgy:

Luckely I just had to turn around to come back, and that was already 30 minutes before closing time :P

I'm gonna give my dealer kuddos :thumbsup:
They've worked for more than an hour to try and find the problem, well after closing hours...
Majority of the workers already started the weekend, but the head mechanic was even phoned and he came asap to join the understaffed crew of 2 men, but all that didnt work out for my bike.

The coupled it to the diagnose tool, lifted it on the workbench and did some rides, but no quick fix as it turns out.
ed177b680508ed979566696639803746.jpg


Propably a purely electronic problem, perhaps a sensor?
But after some tinkering the engine light only came on above 7000rpms, so it would have something to do with the DVT system...a system similar to Honda's VTec, only VTec did not kick in yo :rofl:

So yeah, they did everything they could at that short time period to fix an unexpected funky italian electronics issue, but without succes.

So now I'm gonna put things into perspective, chill, be patient and rely on the certainty that once I will get a perfectly working Multi :)
 
Thread starter
Well, to be honest, if I would not be a owner, I would comment the same thing. :hello:

Actually its the second issue I had, just the same, yellow engine light, but no engine problem :P
So purely electronic, and from what they could tell, its the same issue now, purely electronic.

Last time I "fixed" it by disabling the battery.
When going to the dealer just for a check up, they found a list of errors on the pc, wich I did not see nor notice, but they were there.
They just cleared the errors for 50 euro and it was gone.
50 euro though :dodgy::D

I wonder if BMW or KTM are just as funky in the electronics department, since they do share the same basic electronic components you know.
Would you also make the same jokes about BMW?
Problem is, Ducati did have issues in the past wich earned their name, and BMW did not.

Anyway, the oil leak was the dealers fault, wich he tried to remedy as good as he could with his service and post-treatment.
Mind you my CB had the idle issue, wich to date is not know nor fixed from Honda. :idea:
Luckely mine was still in the second hand warranty period of year after purchase (dunno if many other countries have this obliged warranty period for second hand vechicles bought from professionals), but if it was outside the warranty, it woudl have cost me 2000 euro's to fix as well....

When the bike was in for that fix, I had a loaner bike as well:
8947ce0d0125f4834e733da65acb9278.jpg

Apart from it being a low end bike, and ugly as cuss, the state of the bike was the worst thing, it was a genuine huge pile of cuss!
The brakes were cuss, wich was dangerous and it rode like cuss too.
Squeaks everywhere it seemed.
And mind you it was the same period as now, even colder and rainy weather.
Very dangerous and unprofessional the dealer gave me that bike as a loaner.
And they didnt even fill it up with gas for me :s
Ow, little detail, I bought my CB from that dealer.

This dealer, I went 3 times to him in total, including returning twice, and I got 2 different bikes as a loaner:
XDiavel
KTM Superduke GT
And I did not buy my Multi from that dealer.
Thats what I call service :thumbsup:

But yeah, you can say the ducati is unreliable, but is that unreliability or just inconvenient?
Because lets face it, electronics that get funky and that can be solved by hooking it on a computer isnt the same as an huge mechanical haul over.

Bike went in for the big expensive Desmo service, dealer cuss up and the bike leaked, upon fixing that, somehow the law of Murphy applies on the electronics parts of the bike today, I am not gonna cry about it, like I said, they will find and fix the issue and the bike will be even better as before, like I already experienced before the oil leak was discovered :biker:

To be honest, if the bike wil always show up these funky electronical issues every Desmo service, but will be spotless in all other areas, I'll be glad to undergo these short temporary discomforts because it rides like a hoot

I'm still getting 12.700 miles in 19 months and keep planning to do so.
If I had the money I wouldn't sell the CB, but as of now, I do not regret having this Ducati in its place since it has served me well for my main type of riding.

Update will come, I expect next weekend since it must be a small tiny funky thing :)
GoldOxide_imp said:
I *sigh* when I see a late model Ducati parked alone on the road side. I mean, really - this is 2016, 2017, and 2018 folks. I figure electrical/electronic woes since everything else appears "okay". This is not unlike the volume of electrical problems that plagued VW and BMW prior to 2010. Maybe just some over-engineered incompetence? Or, maybe some German electronics in the Ducati?
like said in my post above, I know the top end Duc-BMW-KTM bikes share the same Bosch electronics (6 axis IMU).

The way they connect and implement it in their bike is what might differ though...
Would be curious to know as well how these bike compare in electronic issues like these.

Not ashamed to admit that Ducati seems to have a tradition in funky electronics.

We'll see I guess, but as fast as they go, they also should be easy to fix.
(but not today unfortunatelly)
 
Riko_imp said:
as far as I could understand the mechanic, its also 'oil controlled' yes

not sure about the technicals in detail though

but after a quick search, I'd assume its works à la VTec indeed
https://ducatiparts-online.com/duca...valve-xdiavel-multistrada-1200-45040023a.html
Rico,
Yap, this is what I thought, called OCV = Oil Control Valve.
In general, its normal resistance at 20*C is about 7.5 Ohms, operated by B+, the oil flow is regulated by varying the duty cycle of the ground supply. FYI, if the OCV is lacking oil supply, it may stall the engine at lower RPM, or when coming to a stop, mostly when oil is hot, thin and/or very low level. How many do you have per cylinder, one or two? If one , will mostly be on the exhaust side....
I deal with this issue very often on cars. OCV controls CVVT (alters cam timing) unit on our cars/design, and VVT/DVT on your Xdiavel Multistrada 1200.
What was the DTCode for your VVT/DVT ?

:)
 
Back
Top