Ducati (ex) owners?

Thread starter
Because pictures say more than only words, here goes!
Ducati Multistrada 1200S (DVT)










I'll try to be as short as possbile with my findings of today.
A W S O M E ! !

This bike is an invitation for hooligan behaviour. (As I did, but I tried hard not to tempt myself to such behaviour, and failed that that most of the time).
ps: I rode in Touring mode most of the time.

Dunno when I left the garage, about 13h00, but I had to bring the back bike at 17h00.
Those 4 hours flew by, litteraly

I knew this bike was fast, but I never experienced that feeling in the flesh, now I know :)

What surprised me:
- general ergonomics: super comfy, from the seating position, to the arms and wrists, everything checks out fine to make a long trip.
I had the urge to blast towards Italy or Eastern Europe with this thing!

After 2h in the saddle non stop on my CB I really feel some aches on my bumb, but not so on the Multi, however I did not ride 2h non stop in that short period I rented the bike, so I can't really judge the seat, but it seems a godo seat for long distances.

- a windscreen is a bliss at high speeds :)

- the sound of the bike, ONLY for that you'd bike this bike (thats still with the stock exhaust) Ducatista's, I get you... :angel:

- the engine, coming from our well know and beloved Japanese 4 cilinder, wich is so silky smooth, I did not find this DVT that much bothering in terms of vibrations and low down power, I was actually pleasantly surprised by it.
Although, riding in second gear in city traffic its much less at ease as our CB, let alone riding the Duc in third gear.
Its the nature of the beast, but once you know that its ridable in the city for sure, nice surprise.

- gearbox, it changes gears easy and precise and neutral is also easy to find.
And I can flip from second to neutral just as easy as on the CB.
All characteristics equal to our CB's and thats a real compliment because the CB is the reference in terms of gearboxes.

Minus:
- only one actually, the quality of the switches, it feels flimpsy, the whole "tactile sensation" is different from a Japanese bike, and certainly from our CB.

I might make a small compilation, but this one says a lot :)

 
lol way to scare the pee out of a bunch of little girls.

It is a beautiful bike, and my Dr had one. If it wasn't for the "little annoying issues" he said, he probably would still have it, although he has since moved on to a KTM 1190 or 1290 adventure thingy.
 
Thread starter
I'm addressing the Ducatistas again here :)

...so yesterday I visited someone I met on a Dutch Multistrada facebook group that is selling his 2012 Multi.
(20 back operations, cant be fun to ride anymore :( )

I already set my mind on buying a low milage 2013-2014 model due to its more recent model year (= should be more reliable?), and mainly because of the minor technical adjustments to the engine block which would make it more easier at lower revs.
Double-ignition for each cylinder and such..

Plan B is a Honda Crosstourer with DCT.





I had already tested one for 2h, but did not get the chance to ride it on the highway unfortunatelly as I wanted to discover its windprotection and especially its pickup since its a high torque bike with a flawless DCT transmission.
Yes, I am a fan :)

Normally one model would be free after mid April, and in the case that testdrive does not convince me, I will buy the black Multistrada 2012 S I visited yesterday.




Price slightly below 10.000 euro.

46.000 km
Engine was completely (and free) rebuild by Ducati because of a broken connecting rod :/
Almost everything was renewed: crankcases, cylinders, heads, pistons, gear box, crank ... so apart from the clutch and starter everything is brand new.
The rebuild was done at 36.000 km, so the engine as it is now, only seen 8.000 km, so its almost new actually.

options:
- all cases (top and side cases)
- heated grips
- quick release Givi tankbag
- full Termignoni line worth 2050 euro
- beautiful aftermarket Xenon lights
- comfort saddle and lowered saddle
- rexxer mapping, default map
- some Rizoma parts here and there, including engine guards, CNC linkage pump
- additional USB ports (one at the handlebar, one under the saddle)
- GPS holder above the dash
- battery connection
- full service book, from a know reputable dealer

The bike is really clean and was not ridden in winter.
He started it and everything looked perfect.
Seller even offered towards the end a spontaneous test drive..

minuses:
- slight scratches on left tupperware, from a drop apparently
- storage box to the right doesn't close nicely :)
- I personally am not a fan of the manual adjustment of the windshield, while it was updated in the 2013-2014 model ...

No semi-active update of the Ohlin suspension, the only thing that is not there.
However, thats a cheap and easy plug n play ugrade.

Although I previously opted for a low milage 2013-2014 model, this has too many options to ignore.
And the recently completed engine overhaul is obviously a very positive point.
Also the owner said with the rexxer mapping + the open exhaust it runs smoother than a standard 2013 to 2014, which I could believe :)

Are there things I forgot or overlooked here?
So, normally after the Easter holidays I should rent a Crosstourer for 2h, then I would ride to the seller of the Multi, ride the Multi and make a direct comparison..

Thanks in advance!
 
Riko, on paper, this bike has nearly everything you want. And I agree, the recent engine refurbishment is an asset. I think it's time to put down your pencil and listen to your heart. You know the bike really moves you. Passion. In the final analysis, that's all that really matters, yes? So why not? Let it happen.
 
Thread starter
Another new visit yesterday:




2014 standard model, so no S model.
Completely stock.

No special options other than:
- centerstand
- heated grips (not installed)
- side lugage (no topcase)
- engine guards
- gps holder on the clamp

Second owner who owned it for about a year now and rode it for 10.000km in that year.
Now 16.000km
No issues and maintained at the same dealer as the 2012 model I visited last weekend.

Dunno, the way this one looks, its alsmost showroom stated perfect as well as the 2012, so its clearly well maintained, mind you, he is a motorocycle cop! ;)

Makes the choise a lill bit more difficult, go for the 2012 with all those options thats makes it go like a 2013/2014?
Or just go for this 2014 model?
And do I really need the electronic suspension?
I've read a lot that the difference can hardly be felt, othe rthan riding to the extreme or with 2up (wich I wont be doing)
Also: Less electronics, less worries.

If his prices wasnt so steep, I'd already get it, dont even wanna testride the Crosstourer for the 2nd time....
He asks 13.000 euro.
He can go down to about 12.000 I think.
The 2012 owner asks 10.000 and can go down...

Should I jump on the red 2014 if I can make him go as low as 11.500??
Or should I take the 2012 for 9.500-10.000 no matter what?
:dodgy::angel:
 
Thread starter
its most probably gonna end with something else. :)

a DVT 1200 S with 11.000km and full option
Was a demo bike from again the same reputable dealer as mentioned a few times above (it seems everybody in the country goes to him for their Duc :) )

14,000 euro

and together (me, seller and dealer) are figuring out how to get additional 2 year Ducati warranty since the bike is privately owned.

This easter Monday I'll go visit the bike...


whats funny is I rented this bike for half a day last year and that was the starting point for everything :)its most probably gonna end with something else. :)

a DVT 1200 S with 11.000km and full option
Was a demo bike from again the same reputable dealer as mentioned a few times above (it seems everybody in the country goes to him for their Duc :) )

14,000 euro

and together (me, seller and dealer) are figuring out how to get additional 2 year Ducati warranty since the bike is privately owned.

This easter Monday I'll go visit the bike...


whats funny is I rented this bike for half a day last year and that was the starting point for everything :)
 
Thread starter
So this is the one! :heart:

I couldn't help myself and made as much material as I could, to make the wait a lill bit more bearable :)




So in short, I have to wait untill the first dealer has some sort of confirmation from Ducati concerning the extended warranty...but that should be a formality.

Countdown towards 29th of April has begun, T Minus 14 days! :excited:
 
Thread starter
dont congrat me yet :)

Money still isnt paid and untill it doesnt sit in my garage it aint mine

or better, unless I can't ride it at my convenience, it aint mine ;)
 
then how about congrats at finally making up your mind :rofl:
 
Thread starter
:angel::P:biker:

Yeah, am siked! :)

Best of all, I did not feel the need to sell my CB for this at all.
2 different bikes 2 different utilities.

Actually, Ducati always marketed this bike as a 4 in 1, so one might say I have 5 motorcycles lol

PS It gives me the opportunity to customize my CB even more ;)
 
Thread starter
T minus less than 1 day!! :banana:

IF (normally) the plate arrives tomorrow, I'll pick it up and bring it straight to the dealers....not for Ducati reliability issue :rofl: but for the second oil change and for some recalls that had to be done.
Hopefully they'll be able to do all the work by saturday...

Anyway, thus far the communication with the dealers has been spot on.
They send me screenshot of what the recall history was of the bike:


When they asked when I preferd to have the bike back ( :thumbsup: )...
I told them saturday of course, but also not to hurry since I had a experience with mechanics doing half a decent job that almost had life threatening consequences.
Fuel line connection came undone and left me stranded!

:rolleyes:

Anyway, expect to see some footage of me picking up the bike :celebrate:
 
Good deal Riko. I hope yours is one of the " 20,000 miles and never had an issue with it" Ducati's. Looking forward to the pics. Hoping you have a sunny day Saturday.
 
Thread starter
thx man!

My first hope is even getting the bike back by Saturday, cause weather should be good saturday, that screams for a ride :)
 
Thread starter
UPDATE

reason why its so "slow" was indeed because it was a 100hp detuned engine...but today they finished everything that had to be done, so I'm impatiently waiting to pick her up tomorrow!
160 ponies at the crank! :excited:

Other jobs that were done beside the full power were the 2 official recals, small oil service and 2 year extended warranty.
For this the bike had to complete a 35 point check list.
650 euro for the 2 year extra warranty
260 euro for everything else.
I still have to see the invoice, but I assume that includes:
oil change, hard wiring gps harnass, the check up, full power and pin code reset, warranty administration, labour)

So finally I can really enjoy this Monster, euhm Multistrada :biker:
 
they can detune from 160 hp to 100 hp and back again? Amazing.

Good luck with it Riko.
 
Thread starter
well, they can do everything here to find potential customers :)

in Belgium we have 2 kind of taxes for vehicles that enter traffic.
Every vehicul that enters traffic, newly bought or second hand has to pay a one time tax, BIV.

The amount of that tax is determinted by the age of the vehicle and the horsepower, the Belgian government basically punishes powerfull cars/motorcycles...thats why you dont see a lot of V8's with big hp figures here....

Manufactures know this, and offer their powerful bikes also in a downgraded version, mostly around the magical 100hp border.
In this case it would cost me around 110 euro.
My CB cost about 61 euro.

If I would buy it with its 160hp new it would cost me 1.234 euro :)
The same bike but between 3 and 2 years old would cost me a little less, 991 euro
Between 1 and 2 years would be 1.115 euro.

As you see, the difference is night and day, 10 times more expensive to introduce a 160hp bike or a 100 hp bike, that 50 hp difference translates in a fiscal punishment.

In France it wasn't even allowed to sell motorcycles above 100hp....all motorcycles were 100hp max.
Imagine you dreamed of a R1 or a Vmax etc....it wasn't cool to be French....
But they abandoned that rule last year.

But it must be said, its common practise to buy a 100hp bike on paper to benefit the beneficial fiscal refime and to go to the dealers afterwards to put it back to full factory power ;)

Legal or not, it only could become an issue here in case of a serious accident that requires an investigation.
Consequences will more likely be found in insurance than in legal aspects.
So, in worst case scenarios, your insurance company would't pay for damages.

As I said, its common practise and normal to do it.
For example the dealer just did it on my request, without questions or any comment.
On 2nd hand sites you'll even see many powerfull bikes described as 100hp on paper but full power at the crank, stating as 'fiscally interesting'.
Taxes and Belgians, its a funny combination :)

The 2014 red Multistrada above, was such an example.
100hp papers, full power in reality, stated as such in his add :)
Ducati Motoren Te Koop | 2dehands
Did I mention he is a Motorcycle cop...;)
 
Back
Top