Ducati (ex) owners?

Rather than paint with a broad brush about who and what Ducati owners are (I own a '96 900 SS/SP,) I will give you specific feedback on the Mulitstrada based on riding both a 2010 and a 2015.

In my 'clubhouse' out near the base of the Angeles Crest, where I keep a Triumph Speed Triple for visits to the West Coast, I have a number of Aprilia and Ducati owners, all of whom are passionate motorcyclists. I have ridden a friend's 2010 Multi for over 150 miles up and over the Crest and into Acton and back through Wrightwood. It was a delight, and a well- sorted example of the breed. The owner has not had any significant issues with the bike, and has enjoyed multi- day travel all through California and the West. Is it a little lumpy under 3K RPM? Yeah, but easily manageable and not an issue. I'd own one tomorrow. It handles and rides beautifully, is comfortable, and wickedly fast on the top end...but tractable and mellow enough that you can ride it like an old man with no pressure. I think it looks fantastic.

I also demo'd a 2015 on the same roads, but for a shorter, 40 mile run. It was spectacular, a noticeably more tractable bottom end, and easily one of the more versatile and comfortable machines I've ever ridden. I'll likely replace my Tiger 800 with one further down the road.

Subjectively, running and repair costs may be more than an equivalent Japanese bike, having a good dealer is important, and if you're making the decision by spreadsheet rather than your heart, you likely won't choose the Italian.
 
Slightly off topic, it seems to me that people who own particular motorcycles often like to bash up owners of other brands. We see here, with a certain regularity, swipes at people who own Harley Davidsons and now we've had a swipe at Ducati owners. Why, I wonder? Is it a secret jealousy that manifests through criticism and mockery, or is something else going on?

If we have a forum member trained in psychiatry or psychology, I'd be interested in your thoughts.

Back on topic, I've a friend who has a Ducati Monster which he rides lots and loves. It's a sweet motorcycle.
 
for the record my post was not a swipe at Ducati's or their owners, rather an observation about how the use their bikes in my experience, and Papa Weeleys ownership experience just reiterated what I have observed.
 
The ferret_imp said:
for the record my post was not a swipe at Ducati's or their owners, rather an observation about how the use their bikes in my experience, and Papa Weeleys ownership experience just reiterated what I have observed.
Fully understood, Mick, and not taken as anything but. :thumbsup:
 
Cormanus_imp said:
Slightly off topic, it seems to me that people who own particular motorcycles often like to bash up owners of other brands. We see here, with a certain regularity, swipes at people who own Harley Davidsons and now we've had a swipe at Ducati owners. Why, I wonder? Is it a secret jealousy that manifests through criticism and mockery, or is something else going on?

If we have a forum member trained in psychiatry or psychology, I'd be interested in your thoughts.

Back on topic, I've a friend who has a Ducati Monster which he rides lots and loves. It's a sweet motorcycle.
I am sure we would all be committed straightaway.
 
Cormanus_imp said:
Slightly off topic, it seems to me that people who own particular motorcycles often like to bash up owners of other brands. We see here, with a certain regularity, swipes at people who own Harley Davidsons and now we've had a swipe at Ducati owners. Why, I wonder? Is it a secret jealousy that manifests through criticism and mockery, or is something else going on?

If we have a forum member trained in psychiatry or psychology, I'd be interested in your thoughts.

Back on topic, I've a friend who has a Ducati Monster which he rides lots and loves. It's a sweet motorcycle.
Amen.
I've "enjoyed" more than my share of the Ducati comments over the years. The most amusing of them have been when I was riding another brand, and the hate-spewer had no idea I was a Ducati owner, too. The looks on their faces were usually priceless when I informed them of my other ride. :rofl:
Regardless, I have to assume that there must be a halfway decent enough amount of verifiable evidence out there for all of the comments to be based on - from the posturing owners to the lack of dependability and high $$ repairs - even if it hasn't been my firsthand experience, myself. I've found in my now considerable years ( :D ) that most stereotypes truly do have their basis in at least limited fact.
However...generalizing, like stereotyping, is often criminally unfair. There's just no way 100% of any given faction will behave completely alike. Humans are just too different, and too individual for that to be true.
Maybe I'm just a lot more open-minded than many. A fellow motorcyclist to me is a fellow motorcyclist; I don't really care if you're riding a Yamaha R1, or a Sportster, or a Super Tenere. It doesn't matter. While I may seek out other like-minded owners to ride with, if it comes down to it, anything two-wheeled is fine with me. Now, I may think that a rider may be an A-hole, but I'm guessing that 99% of the time, that has way more to do with the individual than the brand of bike he's riding...
We're all in an odd little brotherhood out here. I just don't get the insults, finger-pointing, and fun-making. :s
 
I agree with you papa, it certainly isn t true of ALL members of a group, but propensities are easy to recognize. For example.. Sport bike riders ride more aggressively than cruiser riders. BMW riders put more miles on their bikes than Harley riders. Hondas are reliable and have good fit and finish. Buicks are driven by old people. There may be cases, there ARE cases, where each of those statements would be false, but generally speaking I would say they contain a modicrum of truth.

Believe me I have seen so much worse said about Japanese bikes and riders of Japanese bikes by Harley enthusiasts than I have ever seen the other way around. So it is not a one way street, and there is plenty of predjudice to go around. Lions hang with lions and they are not too fond of Cheetahs even though they are both big cats.

Not all pit bulls are mean and will bite you and not all labradors are loveable and will lick you instead, still given the choice of which breed I want around my children, by reputation, I would choose the lab. Long held reputations are usually earned.
 
Thread starter
A things is a verifiable fact so I can make a general conclusion everybody can agree on: Ducati's really start up a conversation :)
And you don't even have to see one up close and personal, a Honda forum will do :)
 
The ferret_imp said:
I agree with you papa, it certainly isn t true of ALL members of a group, but propensities are easy to recognize. For example.. Sport bike riders ride more aggressively than cruiser riders. BMW riders put more miles on their bikes than Harley riders. Hondas are reliable and have good fit and finish. Buicks are driven by old people. There may be cases, there ARE cases, where each of those statements would be false, but generally speaking I would say they contain a modicrum of truth.

Believe me I have seen so much worse said about Japanese bikes and riders of Japanese bikes by Harley enthusiasts than I have ever seen the other way around. So it is not a one way street, and there is plenty of predjudice to go around. Lions hang with lions and they are not too fond of Cheetahs even though they are both big cats.

Not all pit bulls are mean and will bite you and not all labradors are loveable and will lick you instead, still given the choice of which breed I want around my children, by reputation, I would choose the lab. Long held reputations are usually earned.
You are becoming wise with your years.

I didn't see anything remotely approaching a slight or insult or slander in this thread so I don't know quite what is happening here.

The OP wanted to know about Ducatis. They are built for style and sex appeal, and are thus attractive to a certain kind of rider, generally one who doesn't use a spreadsheet to choose a bike (thank you to Capo for that one), but instead uses his or her heart.

But the contents of a man's heart are known only to the Almighty, whereas the spreadsheet is known to all.

I do know, although I am not as wise as the The ferret (nor as omniscient as the Almighty) that it is absolutely human nature for each one of us to feel he has the moral high ground well-staked.

Is it not true that the term "heartfelt" is generally construed as meaning the person described is a loving, feeling individual who will eschew material things for those of deep intrinsic value?

I can only say that the spreadsheet says Ducatis do not have the same inherent material value as do their Japanese counterparts.

And we know the spreadsheets can show this kind of thing. Cost of ownership, reliability, durability are all things more readily associated with Honda, Yamaha, Suzuki, and Kawasaki, probably in that order.

How about "You Meet the Nicest People on a Honda" as compared to this Ducati ad copy, from some time ago:

Ducati is for the connoisseur. The rider who demands quality craftsmanship. The rider who wants a machine, not a toy. Is this you? Then Ducati is for you. Definitely!

Ducati, you see, is made in Italy where old-world craftsmanship is still a fine art. The men who make Ducati take pride in their work. They don’t hurry. They don’t cut corners. They lavish skillful attention on every detail.

I am not sure that I do see, but at my age, I am willing to take some things on faith.

To speak of the Ducati marque, especially in this day and age, is to speak of affluence, or at the very least, a profligate spender. Just to show up on any late-model Ducati at the local roadhouse instantly says "this rider has money". It's no different than rolling up to the valet with a new Tesla, autopilot and all.

So going into any discussion regarding Ducati must needs admit the cachet of wealth, accompanied with the Ducati mythology of a bunch of old men slaving tirelessly over a drill press or grindstone, putting the final touches of old-world craftsmanship on a one-of-a-kind machine (not a toy, mind you, like those Japanese bikes).

The Ducati is not a practical motorcycle, as Capo has intimated. Perhaps it does speak to the heart, or to the id, ego, or superego.

I can only say one thing; when I decided to buy a superbike, I could have afforded any bike out there, including the Panigale, Aprilia RSV, Yamaha YZF-R1M, and so on. I am retired and wanted a bike and figured I can't take it with me, so why not splurge?

The Ducati was not on my radar for more than few moments.

My heart, ironically, is regularly informing me that my 30th Anniversary ZX-10R was the right move.
 
The Guzzi crowd, from time to time, will make a comment on the order of "if you want a perfect bike get a Honda", "my Guzzi has character, unlike the Honda" etc. Then I get to tell them my other bike is a Honda.... :D

Most folks don't mean a thing by it, the "fill in the brand" just does it for them and they are really glad they found a bike they can really live with. Some however do take it a bit further and other members are all too willing to jump on them for it.

I got my you know what handed to me last weekend when I asked this Harley guy why he didn't wear a helmet when it started raining. I thought he was ready to invite me outside! He assumed that since I know him (very very little) I should know better than to ask that question - well he made a bunch of assumptions about my train of thought while accusing me of having assumptions (partially true, but then I was really interested in why 'cause I've gotten some interesting answers to that question).

I don't get Ducati's (have not ridden one either), don't really buy into the Italian mystique and don't buy into the perfect bike is made by Honda or that Italy has motorcycle elves. I do think that some bikes do a certain job better than others and if your riding fits that niche then you will do well to see what is popular in the niche as it may serve your needs very well too. If you happen to be a weird or cranky (or both) old fart a Guzzi may be just your cup of tea. :celebrate:
 
My family (13 riding members) is certainly experienced with Italian motorcycles and character (also American, British, Japanese German and Austrian). My first street bike was an Aermachhi. My dad and my brother both owned Moto Guzzis, my son and a nephew both owned Ducati's. Most were as reliable as their Japanese counter parts ...sorta. Only 1 that I can recall had to be brought home on a trailer (my son's Ducati), but the nephews Ducati , a similar model, never broke down. Some needed more "loving care" than the Japanese bikes we have had, but all were a pleasure to own and ride within the limits we placed on them.

The other day I was having a conversation with another nephew (2 KTM's plus A vfr 500, a couple of Suzuki SV's and others I am sure but can't recall at this moment) and I was expressing the value of a good dealer network. He wondered why that would make any difference as he never needed a dealer for anything beyond the initial purchase. I reminded him that just because you don't use something doesn't mean it doesn't have importance or value. He said like what? I said well, I've been riding 51 years and I've never used my motorcycle insurance yet I purchase it every year, and may need it someday. I said I've never tested the protection of my full face helmet or armored gear yet I wear it nearly every ride and may go down, and need it someday. A dealer is the same thing. I may be riding in the middle of nowhere and my bike break down and need repair and I'd prefer it that there was a dealer nearby to get me back on the road again. That is my biggest hang up about buying Italian or German, Austrian or British for that matter. I travel in places those marquees don't have dealerships. In this respect Harley provides the best service for their customers. There are Harley dealerships literally everywhere. Unfortunately they don't make a bike that suits me. I hope they do someday.
 
Having a dealer network is a big deal to many riders. It is brought up in the Guzzi forums a lot. I know of many guys that pass on the Guzzi because of that. On the other hand, the members are very open about the problem and tell prospective buyers that they should be expected to do a lot of their own work on the bike due to the lack of dealers (and where there are good dealers there seems to be a fair amount of Guzzi owners).

This tends to filter out many owners so that a particular type of person owns Guzzi's. They tend to be a bit more eccentric an independent on the whole. And cheap. :D I've never seen so many older models run on tours regularly like Guzzi's either.
 
It's really disappointing that Piaggio has such difficulty fielding a stable and representative dealer network for the Guzzi brand in the US. I think they're outstanding motorcycles and I'm fairly convinced a large cross section of riders would be very happy to own one if dealerships were widespread and robust. The marque deserves better. Too bad we keep beating this dead horse.
 
From what I hear (from several sources), Piaggio treats its' dealers like crap and have pushed several out of business (or at least dropped any products from Piaggio). Several riders have said they love the bikes, hate the brand. Also not a good sign. But things seem to be looking up now (Piaggio sent me a rollerizer kit for the Griso when my dealer sent them photo's of the tappets banging themselves to death - well out of warranty; worth about $1200, when Honda didn't give me the time of day when my XR650L burnt its' self up at 1600 miles due to a dealer or manufacturing problem so personally I think Piaggio is doing OK).
 
I was thinking of a Hyperstrada before I bought the CB. I go to the forum and some issues scared me off. Plus the CB was 1500 cheaper and it is a Honda


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
Cormanus_imp said:
Slightly off topic, it seems to me that people who own particular motorcycles often like to bash up owners of other brands. We see here, with a certain regularity, swipes at people who own Harley Davidsons and now we've had a swipe at Ducati owners. Why, I wonder? Is it a secret jealousy that manifests through criticism and mockery, or is something else going on?

If we have a forum member trained in psychiatry or psychology, I'd be interested in your thoughts.

Back on topic, I've a friend who has a Ducati Monster which he rides lots and loves. It's a sweet motorcycle.
I heard the other day that my mate has replaced the Monster with a CB500X. I emailed him to ask why and, edited slightly, this is what he had to say:

Quote:My bike tech "Red" reckons that Italian bikes are like Italian women -- beautiful when they are young. Perhaps he was a little jaundiced when my machine refused to talk to his $8K worth of bike interrogating computer stuff to relinquish the secret of its intermittent fault which would see 1 pot drop out totally. He was unable to fix it so it had to go the the dealer at my cost. They did not admit it but I reckon the bike wouldn't talk to their computers either. The bike's ECU would normally advise what/where the fault was. As it turned out they eventually got it right by one intervention after another - guided trial and error—finally informing me that it wasn't covered by warranty (of which there were 2 weeks left) as it was caused by "dirty" fuel. Of course, they were all very friendly—'we're all good guys'—while they laid on the bovine faecal matter with a trowel.

I took it round to the Honda dealer and traded it on a demo CB500X, a delightful bike which (fingers crossed) is still going.
Turns out I was wrong: he wasn't at all happy with it.
 
Back
Top