Do I still even fit in on my own forum?

Guth_imp

Road warrior
Thread starter
I don't know what hit me. I got home from work tonight and I de-farkled.

Yes, you read that right, I'm actually less farkled now than I was this morning. It's not like I was ever a major farkler. I ordered the factory rear rack when I picked up my CB1100. I didn't have to wait long before I had it mounted on my bike. Up next was a Staintune exhaust (rarely have I had a expenditure of this nature where my line of reasoning for the purchase was "just because I want it, I really want it"). Eventually the chrome instrument gauge covers followed. But after that, most of my bike related purchases have been standard maintenance items and various cleaning supplies.

For now, the rear rack sits alone, cast off in a remote corner of the garage separated from the CB1100. I like the look of the bike better without it although it is nice to have when I need it. I figure that I can always put it back on when the need arises. Now my farkle list is down to 2 items — 3 if you count each gauge cover separately (and a whopping 4 if you count the batter tender cable mounted to the battery). I suppose 4 items is almost respectable.

Maybe I should have seen this coming. The signs were there all along. I never worked up the nerve to order a set of the little rubber lever end cover thingies. I never bookmarked the Samurider website (blasphemy, I know, I know). I actually could have lived happily with my CB1100 just the way it came when I rode it off of the dealers parking lot that very first day. I can almost hear the sound of jaws hitting the floor over that last one. But it's true, and I'm trying to come to grips with it. Maybe I'll slowly re-enter the world of accessories at some point, but for now that's too much too contemplate. It's just going to take some time but I think that everything is going to be okay. Still, I'm almost reluctant to look at my own reflection streaming off of the CB's gleaming chrome surfaces.

All kidding aside, I rolled the bike into the garage after work tonight and just happened to think: let's go ahead and change the look back to what drew me to the CB in the first place. Honestly, I still feel insanely fortunate to own such a wonderful machine. Glad that all of you folks are along for the ride.

All the best,
Guth
 
I'd love to not have a rack on my bike, it looks WAY better without it. But the CB is my only vehicle, so for now it stays. I did purposely go with the smaller tubing black Kajima rack, just to hide it better. The moment I get a vehicle better for carrying things, I will be removing that rack though.
 
Personally I think your going in the right direction Guth. Minimalist is the purest form of a motorcycle and that's what makes the CB1100 so good. All those bikes you have or have had, have a soul underneath covered in some aesthetically appealing design. The plastic and farkles may have purpose, but they hide that raw form. You bolt enough stuff on there and you'll have "any other bike" and I'm glad your backing up a bit. Your CB deserves it.
 
It's very cool we have all these farkles to add to the bike, some more useful that others. I'm more into making the bike more useful, or easier to use, or just plain more comfortable. If I had the cash flow I may be more tempted to add bling for blinds sake because some of the things you guys have done are damn good looking.

Still, I lea more towards stock on bikes (except my XR650L, I seem to be in some sort of finical death trap with that one...... :D )
 
MFGUSA_imp said:
Personally I think your going in the right direction Guth. Minimalist is the purest form of a motorcycle and that's what makes the CB1100 so good. All those bikes you have or have had, have a soul underneath covered in some aesthetically appealing design. The plastic and farkles may have purpose, but they hide that raw form. You bolt enough stuff on there and you'll have "any other bike" and I'm glad your backing up a bit. Your CB deserves it.

60d45a089a110203bcaa6cfdeaf21ede.jpg
 
Thread starter
Greg_imp said:
Guth, you're my anchor, my rock, my foundation.
:rofl:
HikerToo_imp said:
Guth, how many miles are you up to? maybe you do more riding than posting....?
If only that were the case. While I commute to work by bike every day, between my real job, my family and other pursuits (not long after I bought my CB I became addicted to fly fishing, more specifically steelhead fishing, and it sucks up a lot of what was previously weekend riding time), I'm just not racking up many miles on the bike. As my commute is short and I still ride my Hawk some days, I'm only around 2,500 miles or so last I checked.

In fact, only recently did I even manage to get the CB out of town for as long as I can remember, and that was to ride out to a fly shop to pick up some "fishing farkles". But it was a nice reminder of what I've been missing out on and I'm planning on changing that. — hopefully soon.
 
Damfino_imp said:
MFGUSA_imp said:
Personally I think your going in the right direction Guth. Minimalist is the purest form of a motorcycle and that's what makes the CB1100 so good. All those bikes you have or have had, have a soul underneath covered in some aesthetically appealing design. The plastic and farkles may have purpose, but they hide that raw form. You bolt enough stuff on there and you'll have "any other bike" and I'm glad your backing up a bit. Your CB deserves it.

60d45a089a110203bcaa6cfdeaf21ede.jpg

8be8527f42db530f0fe6c37b7b757f63.jpg

Don't rub it in Damfino. Nice one though.
 
I know exactly what you mean, after adding rack, saddle bags, am/fm radio, sat radio, gps, gators, engine guards, windscreen, mirror extenders and tank bag, I took my plain jane 1976 CB400F out for a long spin. When I got back I just stared at my CB1100 and came to the conclusion that I was missing that simple feel, look, and ride. So, while I'm keeping the farkles, they are coming off until I go on a major ride, like across the country! So thank you 38 year old bike for keeping me centered!
 
You're headed the right way Guth. The CB is hard to improve on.

First "farkle" I did was remove the hideous government mandated side reflectors, first thing I do on every new bike. A battery tender harness and a screen to keep the wind blast off. I may get the side covers painted to match the tank. Farkles complete.
 
MFGUSA_imp said:
Damfino_imp said:
MFGUSA_imp said:
Personally I think your going in the right direction Guth. Minimalist is the purest form of a motorcycle and that's what makes the CB1100 so good. All those bikes you have or have had, have a soul underneath covered in some aesthetically appealing design. The plastic and farkles may have purpose, but they hide that raw form. You bolt enough stuff on there and you'll have "any other bike" and I'm glad your backing up a bit. Your CB deserves it.

60d45a089a110203bcaa6cfdeaf21ede.jpg

8be8527f42db530f0fe6c37b7b757f63.jpg

Don't rub it in Damfino. Nice one though.
;)
 
Guth_imp said:
Greg_imp said:
Guth, you're my anchor, my rock, my foundation.
:rofl:
HikerToo_imp said:
Guth, how many miles are you up to? maybe you do more riding than posting....?
If only that were the case. While I commute to work by bike every day, between my real job, my family and other pursuits (not long after I bought my CB I became addicted to fly fishing, more specifically steelhead fishing, and it sucks up a lot of what was previously weekend riding time), I'm just not racking up many miles on the bike. As my commute is short and I still ride my Hawk some days, I'm only around 2,500 miles or so last I checked.

In fact, only recently did I even manage to get the CB out of town for as long as I can remember, and that was to ride out to a fly shop to pick up some "fishing farkles". But it was a nice reminder of what I've been missing out on and I'm planning on changing that. — hopefully soon.
Careful Guth, "fishing farkling" can be even more addictive than the motorcycle variety. For example, of the hundreds, nay thousands or even millions of sure-fire lures, flies and plastics paraded at tackle shops it is certain that the target species for the vast majority, if not all, is the angler. It is a private vice often concealed in expensive tackle boxes. I think the term could be "stashed". How do I know? My name is Pterodactyl, I am a ..........

As for my CB, like yours the OEM rack is on only for touring and the Staintune is there cause I like it, plus I trashed the OEM. I don't have to worry too much about the "farkler posts", after all I can handle that stuff without any problems. Really, I can. Now I think I will just have a quick look at the Samurider site..........

Cheers mate, thanks for the forum.
 
I reckon any sort of farkling has the potential to be addictive and distracting.

I can't talk with authority about this: my only purely cosmetic farkle is a couple of RLETs. The other changes I've made to the CB1100—a top box and power outlet—are purely for reasons of practicality. I'm too lazy to take the top box on and off as I need it so it stays there. In the same way, I'm too lazy to get terribly exercised about the colour of my exhaust headers. I bought the bike to ride it and that's mostly what I'm doing.

Go Guth. Do exactly what you want so the bike makes you happy. Just don't forget to ride it to your favourite fishing spot. If you're worried about how to get your catch home, here's an example. You don't even need to pout the rack on. The bottle is petrol—flavours the fish or helps light the barbeque.

 
Guth_imp said:
Greg_imp said:
Guth, you're my anchor, my rock, my foundation.
:rofl:
HikerToo_imp said:
Guth, how many miles are you up to? maybe you do more riding than posting....?
If only that were the case. While I commute to work by bike every day, between my real job, my family and other pursuits (not long after I bought my CB I became addicted to fly fishing, more specifically steelhead fishing, and it sucks up a lot of what was previously weekend riding time), I'm just not racking up many miles on the bike. As my commute is short and I still ride my Hawk some days, I'm only around 2,500 miles or so last I checked.

In fact, only recently did I even manage to get the CB out of town for as long as I can remember, and that was to ride out to a fly shop to pick up some "fishing farkles". But it was a nice reminder of what I've been missing out on and I'm planning on changing that. — hopefully soon.
Is anyone else even close to 18,000 miles yet? I've been out for a month with at least two more to go and AFAIK I'm still in the lead.

Just checking. (and yes....its a race. :P)
 
Randy B_imp said:
Guth_imp said:
Greg_imp said:
Guth, you're my anchor, my rock, my foundation.
:rofl:
HikerToo_imp said:
Guth, how many miles are you up to? maybe you do more riding than posting....?
If only that were the case. While I commute to work by bike every day, between my real job, my family and other pursuits (not long after I bought my CB I became addicted to fly fishing, more specifically steelhead fishing, and it sucks up a lot of what was previously weekend riding time), I'm just not racking up many miles on the bike. As my commute is short and I still ride my Hawk some days, I'm only around 2,500 miles or so last I checked.

In fact, only recently did I even manage to get the CB out of town for as long as I can remember, and that was to ride out to a fly shop to pick up some "fishing farkles". But it was a nice reminder of what I've been missing out on and I'm planning on changing that. — hopefully soon.
Is anyone else even close to 18,000 miles yet? I've been out for a month with at least two more to go and AFAIK I'm still in the lead.

Just checking. (and yes....its a race. :P)
Is anyone else even close to 18,000 miles yet? I've been out for a month with at least two more to go and AFAIK I'm still in the lead.

Just checking. (and yes....its a race. :P)
20510 miles. But I've had it two years.

Cheers
That is just under 33000kms
 
Guth, a lot of what you said rings true.
At first I was excited and hot to trot to get a rear carrier, but as time passed that idea began to wane and now I don't really care if I have one or not.
But I do have a pair of SW engine guards; a Pyramid Fenda Extenda and a fly screen waiting to be installed.
I have no desire to try and turn this bike into a road burner with exhaust; ECU mod, etc. If I feel the need for speed I still have my CB900F.
I may look at the Ventura luggage system which has a carrier rack that can easily be added and removed when not needed and leaves only a grab handle in place.
So, in the meantime, just like you, I'm enjoying the bike just like it is, but I'll get to the farkles eventually.
 
Back
Top