didn't get to ride today

Thread starter
Walking pretty good this morning with only a hint of tenderness. Thought about riding, but will rest for 1 more day.

Yea, I've had a kidney stone (also earlier this year.. also required an ER visit ...see I told you it's been a crummy year healthwise). Not sure which is worse. Ok now that I think about it the kidney stone was worse, you're right Tezza. Neither is fun. Although I didn't miss a day of riding with the kidney stone. Was on a ride when it hit. Rode home, went to ER, passed stone by 11 pm, rode the next day.

I don't drink, I don't smoke, I don't eat lots of red meat, as a matter of fact right now I'm on a gluten free, lactose free, caffeine free diet thanks to another medical issue I was diagnosed with this year (microscopic colitis) that started after returning from the Arkansas rally. It has been a real pia (literally lol) for 6 months, but think we have a handle on it now, we shall see. I really do need to drink more water, but I don't really care for water (plain), heat it up, put a tea bag in it and some creme and sugar and you are onto something though lol. I am drinking more plain water than I used to (and less tea), but nowhere near the 8-8 oz glasses a day they recommend. More like 3 or 4-8 oz glasses, which seems like a lot to me.

When I said my goal has always been to ride until I'm 70, now maybe you understand where I was coming from. In my family, we don't make it very much past that before medical issues take us.Nobody in my family has ever lived as long as Rocky has now. Heredity bah humbug! I'll be 68 in May.

Like Django said and I'll paraphrase "getting old is not for the faint of heart!"
 
Yeah, getting old ain't for sissies.
I got into sidecars with the aim of extending my riding years. To the point where I now think a Burgman with a sidecar looks good!
 
I feel for ya! I had gout many times in a few years and they put me on the meds, it
helps. But as I got older and they gave me more meds for other things, I convinced
my doc to take me off the gout meds. ( they can be hard on your kidneys) .
I have not had it in a few years but as I have gotten older I eat less and drink less
beer.
 
Thread starter
Well I couldn't take it. Sitting around watching Oakley Yukon Vet with my wife was not getting it. 52 degrees with only a 20% chance of rain is hard to pass up, so I geared up, got the" Be safe' rubber down!" speech from my wife, rolled out the light bike (the CB 1100) and went out and rode "The Loop". My goodness what a fun piece of road. 37 miles of 55 mph (legal speed) 4th or 5th gear up and down sweeping curves with the fall colors still at their peak. Very little traffic, only a couple of stop signs and no traffic lights makes riding this loop a joy. Takes 45 minutes to complete the loop from and back to my garage door. It was great!

I feel so much better lol
 
Good on ya Mr. Ferret!!
 
Speedy recovery Mr ferret - visited the Doc's a few weeks ago and they diagnosed chronic obstructive pulmonary disease and vikings disease 'fingers curling up' but also some good news - if i quit smoking i could have over 15 years left - I've given up the cigarettes - so plenty riding left.
 
Thread starter
Never heard of Vikings Disease. Does it get bad enough you can't open your hands? sounds dreadful. Glad you gave up the smokes. 15 years? You will most likely outlive me lol
 
I haven't heard of Vikings Disease either. I'll look it up.

As for you, Ferret, stay away from the alipurinol as long as you can. Not that I know anything about it, but taking meds of any sort has to have consequences. I get gout and it's horrible, but unless it becomes frequent, I'll bomb it when it happens.
 
Thread starter
The Rheumatologist sort of felt the same way, but when I saw her I was only having one episode every couple of years. She said why take medicine everyday for years when you can knock it out with other meds in 1 or 2 days. Having 2 episodes a 3 months apart may make a difference. I will wait until the next episode and see the time frame before talking to her again.
 
The only thing I take is a baby asprin every day and I have never taken any meds my entire life.
The best thing I ever did in my life was never to smoke.
My prostate cancer is a slow growing one and therefor at 67 nothing to worry about !
 
The ferret_imp said:
Walking pretty good this morning with only a hint of tenderness. Thought about riding, but will rest for 1 more day.

Yea, I've had a kidney stone (also earlier this year.. also required an ER visit ...see I told you it's been a crummy year healthwise). Not sure which is worse. Ok now that I think about it the kidney stone was worse, you're right Tezza. Neither is fun. Although I didn't miss a day of riding with the kidney stone. Was on a ride when it hit. Rode home, went to ER, passed stone by 11 pm, rode the next day.

I don't drink, I don't smoke, I don't eat lots of red meat, as a matter of fact right now I'm on a gluten free, lactose free, caffeine free diet thanks to another medical issue I was diagnosed with this year (microscopic colitis) that started after returning from the Arkansas rally. It has been a real pia (literally lol) for 6 months, but think we have a handle on it now, we shall see. I really do need to drink more water, but I don't really care for water (plain), heat it up, put a tea bag in it and some creme and sugar and you are onto something though lol. I am drinking more plain water than I used to (and less tea), but nowhere near the 8-8 oz glasses a day they recommend. More like 3 or 4-8 oz glasses, which seems like a lot to me.

When I said my goal has always been to ride until I'm 70, now maybe you understand where I was coming from. In my family, we don't make it very much past that before medical issues take us.Nobody in my family has ever lived as long as Rocky has now. Heredity bah humbug! I'll be 68 in May.

Like Django said and I'll paraphrase "getting old is not for the faint of heart!"
Last year me and the wife went to Europe and we noticed that the folks in Germany always had Soda-Streams in their homes. These machines allow you to make 'fiz' water or carbonated water. To me such water does taste a lot better. So now we have one in our home. I'm just trying to help. I wish you well!
 
After righting Miss Piggy from her nap on an empty road, I developed lower back pain. Did the male thing and just ignored it, but it just got worse. Started physiotherapy treatments and home exercises about a month ago. My back is now fine and I am enjoying good health.

I never smoked, played hockey until I was 48, and baseball until I was 56. My dad who smoked his entire life died at 84, and my mum is a healthy 97 year old who just became a great-great grandmother.

My entire life I have been told I look younger than I am. Perhaps I inherited some good genes, or maybe I just never acted my age. At the start of my riding season next May I will be 72 years young. Twenty years old with 52 years of experience. :thumbsup:
 
Hey Mickey, I was going to shoot you a PM, but then after reading this thread, I thought a post here would be more appropriate.

I'm with Cormanus, in that I'm up for any natural alternative over long term / permanent use of a prescription drug if possible. As you know, I've been dealing with my own pain issues for years now and find myself on a lifetime medication as a result. I'm not sure what bothers me more — the pain (along with the associated sleep deprivation) or the the fact that I'm totally dependent upon the meds. When gout was added to the mix I was none too thrilled. I have not cut things like beer and beef out of my diet and when I partake in such things I know that there will be a price to pay as a result. I've been fortunate in that cherry fruit extract has been surprisingly effective at helping to decrease the pain experienced from gout. The stuff I use comes in tablet form so I just take it along with the rest of my meds. I don't know how much the gout meds cost, but I'm guessing that the extract tablets are bound to be less.

All that said, I realize as well as anyone that we are all unique and what works for one person might not do squat for another and vice versa. Still, in my mind such alternatives are worth investigating. My sympathy goes to any of you dealing with gout. It ranks pretty high on my "Not Fun" list these days.
 
Had it in my left big toe. I'd go to push off on that foot and BOOM! Had to cut down on many foods. Vegan diet will get rid of it. Flush the system right out. Fish and beef are bad. Alcohol. Caffeine.
 
Guth_imp said:
Hey Mickey, I was going to shoot you a PM, but then after reading this thread, I thought a post here would be more appropriate.

I'm with Cormanus, in that I'm up for any natural alternative over long term / permanent use of a prescription drug if possible. As you know, I've been dealing with my own pain issues for years now and find myself on a lifetime medication as a result. I'm not sure what bothers me more — the pain (along with the associated sleep deprivation) or the the fact that I'm totally dependent upon the meds. When gout was added to the mix I was none too thrilled. I have not cut things like beer and beef out of my diet and when I partake in such things I know that there will be a price to pay as a result. I've been fortunate in that cherry fruit extract has been surprisingly effective at helping to decrease the pain experienced from gout. The stuff I use comes in tablet form so I just take it along with the rest of my meds. I don't know how much the gout meds cost, but I'm guessing that the extract tablets are bound to be less.

All that said, I realize as well as anyone that we are all unique and what works for one person might not do squat for another and vice versa. Still, in my mind such alternatives are worth investigating. My sympathy goes to any of you dealing with gout. It ranks pretty high on my "Not Fun" list these days.
I had a friend who also swore by this gout remedy.
 
Olive oil, baking soda in a glass of water, lemon juice in water, apple cider vinegar, all help with gout. Red meat and fish send it in the other direction. My friend is Vegan and says he has never felt better. Home v25 | Frank Medrano % - Frank used to be an out of shape skinny guy. Vegan. He's from another planet anyway.
 
Back
Top