didn't get to ride today

the Ferret

Road warrior
Thread starter
First day I've missed since the day Offroad and I trailered bikes back from visiting LongRanger in Colorado in mid July.

Last night my ankle started hurting. Had a fitful night with increasing pain, and when I woke up this morning I could not bear any weight on it .... at all. I knew what it was, gout. I've had it in that ankle before, earlier this year as a matter of fact. Caused me a trip to the emergency room that time. Kept me off the bike for 2 days last time. Good night it hurts. Luckily I had medication on hand to take care of it this time, and it is getting better already. Not full weight bearing, but can walk with a cane. Earlier this year when I had it, I saw a specialist who did a test and she said I was borderline high on Uric acid in my system, which causes gout. She didn't advise taking any preventative medicine unless you have 4 or more episodes in a year. Holy cow, who could go through this pain multiple times each year? Never had it twice in one year before, then again, it's been that kind of year for me. I think I had it once in 2010, once in 2013 and once in 2015, all in a big toe those times. The ankle thing is new. I'd prefer it went back to the toe lol.

Probably won't get to ride tomorrow either. Should be able to ride again Sunday I figure. Forced days off the bike is not my idea of fun.
 
I would go see a different doctor. 4 times in a year before preventive meds? Ouch...I take 100 mg of allopurinol (sp) daily to prevent gout. And you're right, good God does it hurt! Hope you're better soon...
 
Sorry to hear ferret! I've only had it once and you're right I probably would have chopped my foot off to make it go away. Hope you feel better soon!
 
Sounds terrible and watched my father in law go through so much pain from that stuff . If you down here , I have some great pain reliever .............
 
Bad news Ferret. Gout is hideous.
 
Thread starter
Hopefully this will be it for a few years lol, and I will be back on the bike in a couple of days. Was hoping to run out the year on riding days, but it already has been a good year!

Blockhead how often were you being affected with it?

Django..truer words were never spoken! Lol
 
Blockhead_imp said:
I would go see a different doctor. 4 times in a year before preventive meds? Ouch...I take 100 mg of allopurinol (sp) daily to prevent gout. And you're right, good God does it hurt! Hope you're better soon...
+1 what Blockhead advised! My doctor has me on 300 mg of allopurinol every other day. That maintenance dosage has prevented any gout flairups for many years. Wanting for 4 flairups is ridiculous IMO. Most of the my male family members (deceased father, brother and a son) have/had gout and all of us take/took allopurinol. Get well soon.
 
Sorry you are having pain and immobilized,hope you recover quickly.
Today was my first ride in 2 weeks, having my last daughter get married 2 weekends ago and traveling out of state for work.
Tomorrow should be in the mid 80 s so I’ll go on a group ride to Natchez or Vicksburg, MS
Amazon delivered my GoPro mounts so I hope to be able to post some videos on YouTube and get a few photos with fall colors
 
Thread starter
My wife amd I loved the Natchez especially the upper and lower 1/3s of it.

Looking forward to the vids
 
The ferret_imp said:
Hopefully this will be it for a few years lol, and I will be back on the bike in a couple of days. Was hoping to run out the year on riding days, but it already has been a good year!

Blockhead how often were you being affected with it?

Django..truer words were never spoken! Lol
First attack I ever had I was in my early 30s. I would get it once or twice a year but it seemed each time I got it was worse than the time before. I finally went on a daily allopurinol regimen about 10 yrs ago when I was 45...hardly any flareups since.

I will say that I've had a lot of painful things happen to me over the years (broken bones, torn rotator cuff etc) but gout is about the worst.
 
Sorry to hear it, Ferret. Get the meds, get better, and then you and Offroad get your bikes back on that trailer and come on out here again. We have a lot more riding to do. Well, do it when the sun climbs back up to its high spot in the sky next year. You wouldn't like it here right now.
 
Thread starter
Blockhead_imp said:
The ferret_imp said:
Hopefully this will be it for a few years lol, and I will be back on the bike in a couple of days. Was hoping to run out the year on riding days, but it already has been a good year!

Blockhead how often were you being affected with it?

Django..truer words were never spoken! Lol
First attack I ever had I was in my early 30s. I would get it once or twice a year but it seemed each time I got it was worse than the time before. I finally went on a daily allopurinol regimen about 10 yrs ago when I was 45...hardly any flareups since.

I will say that I've had a lot of painful things happen to me over the years (broken bones, torn rotator cuff etc) but gout is about the worst.

So you are on the medicine and still get flare ups?
 
In 10 yrs since I've been on the meds I've maybe had two very minor flare ups, maybe lasted a day or so with minimal symptoms. In the old days an attack would last a week or longer with excruciating pain.
 
gout can be (too ) inheritable but i guess you know for a long time as prevention you can make a lot self without doc-med ; strict controll what you eat and drink... food with low purine-level no alc and drink a lot water
wish of course all the best for now
 
Back
Top