Dent Removal in the DMV

Supervillian_imp

First service completed
Thread starter
Fellas, a friend of mine dropped my CB trying to get the kickstand down and now there is a small dent in the left side of the tank, back near where your knees go. It's barely noticeable, but still...I know it's there!

Anyway, does anyone know of anywhere in the DC metro area that pops out dents? Dentmaster says they can, but I have heard they are expensive and sketchy (although that's just from one person). So far they are the only place I've found locally that can do a MC tank.

All you locals -- any recommendations?
 
Contact one or more of your local car dealers. They usually have a person or company for paintless dent repair. If you contact them & coordinate when they'll be at a certain place; it's likely they'll pass along a discount. In my area; paintless dent repair runs about $25-50/dent. When you consider the cost of repair & repainting; it's a bargain.

Good luck!
 
The crease makes it worse, and the problem of getting behind the dent with a tool through the petrol fill hole doesn't help either. If it can't be suctioned out, you may have to live with it, or pull the tank, have a skilled body guy fix it, and re-spray. Personally, I'd live with a minor dent and original paint, rather than pay a ton and have a respray, pinstrip, badge removal, bondo, etc.

How about posting a photo?

Over time, things like this become part of the bikes history, and if you leave it, you should be able to get your buddy to feel guilty enough to buy you a beer on frequent occasions.
 
Paintless dent repair often involves heating the area. I'm relatively certain this won't work on the tank because of explosions and such. A crease is nearly impossible to remove with the paintless method anyhow. Creases are very difficult to remove, paintless or not.
 
Have his insurance replace the tank. He dropped it, he should cover it.
 
Randy B_imp said:
Have his insurance replace the tank. He dropped it, he should cover it.
That was my thought too.
 
Look at it as an "opportunity". First of all, put the squeeze on old mate to contact his insurance company or at least cough up a few quid towards repair. Secondly, have a cold beer and let your mind wander to what colour might be good for your new, or repaired, tank. Suggestions I won't give you; but just let me say I had a Big Zed with Conan tha Barbarian, a sword in one hand and a delightfully unclad damsel in the other, airbrushed on the tank. Might be quite classy on a CB.

Cheers
 
Pterodactyl_imp said:
Look at it as an "opportunity". First of all, put the squeeze on old mate to contact his insurance company or at least cough up a few quid towards repair. Secondly, have a cold beer and let your mind wander to what colour might be good for your new, or repaired, tank. Suggestions I won't give you; but just let me say I had a Big Zed with Conan tha Barbarian, a sword in one hand and a delightfully unclad damsel in the other, airbrushed on the tank. Might be quite classy on a CB.

Cheers
lol the 70's have been over for quite some time
 
Thread starter
My friend will pay for it no prob, not sure of his insurance status. I guess will spin by Dent masters in Tysons and have them take a look. Otherwise, just wait for a used 2013 tank to be listed. Of course, the decal route is always an option -- although the Conan airbrush art is tempting. Or Vampirella!

I notice that Samurider has 2014 model tanks for sale (pricey too). Does anyone know if those will fit a 2013?
 
2014 tanks will not work on a 2013. The fuel pumps are different. Both in mounting and pressure.
 
AzBob_imp said:
Paintless dent repair often involves heating the area. I'm relatively certain this won't work on the tank because of explosions and such. A crease is nearly impossible to remove with the paintless method anyhow. Creases are very difficult to remove, paintless or not.
Exactly my experience.
It's extremely pricey, but I believe Samurider has gas tanks for sale...your buddy's insurance ought to have to cough up the bucks for the replacement, since repair isn't exactly the best approach to a motorcycle gas tank.
I don't know what the situation is with your buddy, but I was brought up with a very distinct credo: if you borrow something, you return it in as-good or better condition than you got it. If it's not, you make the fix so that it IS. If he's not volunteering to pay, or report it to his insurance, I wouldn't feel too badly about reporting it for him...this isn't being a douche, it's just plain old what's fair.
 
Lord Popgun_imp said:
2014 tanks will not work on a 2013. The fuel pumps are different. Both in mounting and pressure.
Not so. The gaskets are the same on all of the tanks and they didn't change the shape of the 2014 STD tank. They did change the fuel system a bit in 2014 and altered the pressure, but the 2013 fuel pump will fit either tank just fine.
The DLX (EX) and the STD use the same fuel pumps.
What this means is if you want to install a DLX (EX) tank on a STD of any year, go for it. I would just use a new fuel pump mounting gasket to be on the safe side.

2013:
http://www.hondapartshouse.com/oemparts/a/hon/511a8dadf870022e4ccd3255/fuel-tank-fuel-pump

2014 STD:
http://www.hondapartshouse.com/oemparts/a/hon/52f28bfbf870021404ec5a40/fuel-tank-fuel-pump

2014 DLX (EX):
http://www.hondapartshouse.com/oemparts/a/hon/52f28c29f870021404ec5a79/fuel-tank-fuel-pump
 
Well Randy, I'm embarrassed! I could have sworn that we had determined the pump mount was different. I was wrong. And I should have checked the fiche before posting. Thanks for correcting. Slinking off now...
 
Lord Popgun_imp said:
Well Randy, I'm embarrassed! I could have sworn that we had determined the pump mount was different. I was wrong. And I should have checked the fiche before posting. Thanks for correcting. Slinking off now...
I wasn't trying to scold you sir...lol. Just making sure the correct information is out there for people to make an informed decision is all. :D
 
Lol

I'm good! :beerchug: Just :blush:

Correct info is always good. Just don't want to lose what little cred I do have here. If any :P And I usually do look pretty closely at the parts fiche.

So to get back on thread, a new tank can be had through Samurider, but also from the online parts dealers, like the one Randy posted, or others, at a few hundred dollar discount from the dealer. Plus, you can sell your tank to someone and recoup some of our money. Post up a pic of the dent so we can see it, if you would.

Or if you are lucky, like I was when I dented mine, from another member who swapped out his tank.
 
Thread starter
OK, Some good info here, please see if I have this straight: A 2014 STANDARD tank will fit a 2013 but use a new fuel pump mounting gasket.

Is this right? If, so opens up some options...

Thanks again guys, great resource here.
 
The service manual says to use a new gasket when installing the pump.

FYI: I did not when I changed my tank, but the bike, and thus the gasket, was new. I have no problems. YMMV. Gaskets are cheap.

Edit to add: I changed from a '13 tank to a '13 tank.
 
Supervillian_imp said:
OK, Some good info here, please see if I have this straight: A 2014 STANDARD tank will fit a 2013 but use a new fuel pump mounting gasket.

Is this right? If, so opens up some options...

Thanks again guys, great resource here.
From what I can tell you can use either tank, but I have not tried the larger tank so don't take that as gospel.
 
Back
Top