peterbaron
Road warrior
John, one of my fav....Houtman_imp said:Another Dutch group with a big hit was Shocking Blue with "Venus" , they had a very sexy lead singer. I did see the than called " The Golden Earrings" in 1966.
Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.
Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.
John, one of my fav....Houtman_imp said:Another Dutch group with a big hit was Shocking Blue with "Venus" , they had a very sexy lead singer. I did see the than called " The Golden Earrings" in 1966.
I'm a guitarist from the '80s, and I still have never heard of "Nederpop."GoldOxide_imp said:I'm a guitarist from the '80s, and I still have never heard of "Nederpop."VLJ_imp said:EmptySea Wrote:"The Salty Herrings" was the name of my garage band in the 80s. We did a lot of Nederpop stuff.
I'm a guitarist from the '80s, and I still have never heard of "Nederpop."
What is it? Pop music from the Netherlands?
What is it? Pop music from the Netherlands?
Radar Love, man.
I make no claims as to the quality of the video I posted. It was the first thing to come up when I Googled Nederpop. But now I'm an expertVLJ_imp said:I'm a guitarist from the '80s, and I still have never heard of "Nederpop."GoldOxide_imp said:I'm a guitarist from the '80s, and I still have never heard of "Nederpop."VLJ_imp said:EmptySea Wrote:"The Salty Herrings" was the name of my garage band in the 80s. We did a lot of Nederpop stuff.
I'm a guitarist from the '80s, and I still have never heard of "Nederpop."
What is it? Pop music from the Netherlands?
What is it? Pop music from the Netherlands?
Radar Love, man.
What is it? Pop music from the Netherlands?
Radar Love, man.
I saw them open up for Pat Benatar at the L.A. Sports Arena. This must have been back around 1980. They played a strange set: Radar Love, Twilight Zone, and nothing else. Just two songs, both of which they turned into extended jams.
They were surprisingly good.
Inhouse Bob Wrote:Kajagoogoo: The Hair Club For Men version?
My god. That's some of the worst stuff I've ever heard. Or seen. When it comes to Euros from the Continent, those dudes have always had a screw loose. Nobody should have ever introduced those people to Casio keyboards.
Can't believe SRV is from that same era.

"Says some DJ somewhere at some point."VLJ_imp said:What about ZZ Top? Started out in 1969, never broke up, never had a lineup change, still going strong. Golden Earring saw various lineup changes over the years.
There are probably other examples, but ZZ Top immediately leapt to mind.
My personal favorite at the time (as I grew up in Holland) was Cuby and the Blizzards. A blues band with a weird singer (Harry Muskee) and an absolutely brilliant guitar player: Eelco Gelling. Reportedly the Stones asked Gelling to join them but he refused: Muskee and Gelling were natives from a tiny village (Grollo) in the most remote province (Drenthe) of The Netherlands, and he just couldn't imagine leaving home. He did join Golden Earring for a couple of years.Houtman_imp said:I might have to agree with the VLJ , this is NOT good at all . We had some very good bands in the sixties in Holland but later it went down hill.

... and she hasn't changed a bit.Houtman_imp said:Bob , I know where she is : in your mind , even after all those years .
My personal favorite at the time (as I grew up in Holland) was Cuby and the Blizzards. A blues band with a weird singer (Harry Muskee) and an absolutely brilliant guitar player: Eelco Gelling. Reportedly the Stones asked Gelling to join them but he refused: Muskee and Gelling were natives from a tiny village (Grollo) in the most remote province (Drenthe) of The Netherlands, and he just couldn't imagine leaving home. He did join Golden Earring for a couple of years.bioman_imp said:My personal favorite at the time (as I grew up in Holland) was Cuby and the Blizzards. A blues band with a weird singer (Harry Muskee) and an absolutely brilliant guitar player: Eelco Gelling. Reportedly the Stones asked Gelling to join them but he refused: Muskee and Gelling were natives from a tiny village (Grollo) in the most remote province (Drenthe) of The Netherlands, and he just couldn't imagine leaving home. He did join Golden Earring for a couple of years.Houtman_imp said:I might have to agree with the VLJ , this is NOT good at all . We had some very good bands in the sixties in Holland but later it went down hill.
The band was actually really good: they played with Van Morrison, John Mayall and others.
Muskee died in 2011 but Gelling is still around (I believe).
Here is a video from 1967. I still get goosebumps when I hear and see this!
An other great song (without video):

... and she hasn't changed a bit.GoldOxide_imp said:... and she hasn't changed a bit.Houtman_imp said:Bob , I know where she is : in your mind , even after all those years .
Yes, and yes. They were part of the very lively music scene from The Hague. I guess you would call it garage-rock? Although we called it Nederbeat.Houtman_imp said:My personal favorite at the time (as I grew up in Holland) was Cuby and the Blizzards. A blues band with a weird singer (Harry Muskee) and an absolutely brilliant guitar player: Eelco Gelling. Reportedly the Stones asked Gelling to join them but he refused: Muskee and Gelling were natives from a tiny village (Grollo) in the most remote province (Drenthe) of The Netherlands, and he just couldn't imagine leaving home. He did join Golden Earring for a couple of years.bioman_imp said:My personal favorite at the time (as I grew up in Holland) was Cuby and the Blizzards. A blues band with a weird singer (Harry Muskee) and an absolutely brilliant guitar player: Eelco Gelling. Reportedly the Stones asked Gelling to join them but he refused: Muskee and Gelling were natives from a tiny village (Grollo) in the most remote province (Drenthe) of The Netherlands, and he just couldn't imagine leaving home. He did join Golden Earring for a couple of years.Houtman_imp said:I might have to agree with the VLJ , this is NOT good at all . We had some very good bands in the sixties in Holland but later it went down hill.
The band was actually really good: they played with Van Morrison, John Mayall and others.
Muskee died in 2011 but Gelling is still around (I believe).
Here is a video from 1967. I still get goosebumps when I hear and see this!
An other great song (without video):
The band was actually really good: they played with Van Morrison, John Mayall and others.
Muskee died in 2011 but Gelling is still around (I believe).
Here is a video from 1967. I still get goosebumps when I hear and see this!
An other great song (without video):
Are you Dutch by birth , do you remember Q65 ?
... and she hasn't changed a bit.GoldOxide_imp said:... and she hasn't changed a bit.Houtman_imp said:Bob , I know where she is : in your mind , even after all those years .
Old girl friends will always look the same as when we saw them the last time.
Google MapsHoutman_imp said:I was born in Zaandam in 1950 and lived in Jisp till 1974 and went to St.Michels gestel till 1977.
As Holland is so small it was easy to see great bands all over our Country . I also liked The Shoes and George Baker. I did 18 months in military service , most of the time to drunk to walk straight let alone SHOOT straight !
Yes, and yes. They were part of the very lively music scene from The Hague. I guess you would call it garage-rock? Although we called it Nederbeat.bioman_imp said:Yes, and yes. They were part of the very lively music scene from The Hague. I guess you would call it garage-rock? Although we called it Nederbeat.Houtman_imp said:My personal favorite at the time (as I grew up in Holland) was Cuby and the Blizzards. A blues band with a weird singer (Harry Muskee) and an absolutely brilliant guitar player: Eelco Gelling. Reportedly the Stones asked Gelling to join them but he refused: Muskee and Gelling were natives from a tiny village (Grollo) in the most remote province (Drenthe) of The Netherlands, and he just couldn't imagine leaving home. He did join Golden Earring for a couple of years.bioman_imp said:My personal favorite at the time (as I grew up in Holland) was Cuby and the Blizzards. A blues band with a weird singer (Harry Muskee) and an absolutely brilliant guitar player: Eelco Gelling. Reportedly the Stones asked Gelling to join them but he refused: Muskee and Gelling were natives from a tiny village (Grollo) in the most remote province (Drenthe) of The Netherlands, and he just couldn't imagine leaving home. He did join Golden Earring for a couple of years.Houtman_imp said:I might have to agree with the VLJ , this is NOT good at all . We had some very good bands in the sixties in Holland but later it went down hill.
The band was actually really good: they played with Van Morrison, John Mayall and others.
Muskee died in 2011 but Gelling is still around (I believe).
Here is a video from 1967. I still get goosebumps when I hear and see this!
An other great song (without video):
The band was actually really good: they played with Van Morrison, John Mayall and others.
Muskee died in 2011 but Gelling is still around (I believe).
Here is a video from 1967. I still get goosebumps when I hear and see this!
An other great song (without video):
Are you Dutch by birth , do you remember Q65 ?
... and she hasn't changed a bit.GoldOxide_imp said:... and she hasn't changed a bit.Houtman_imp said:Bob , I know where she is : in your mind , even after all those years .
Old girl friends will always look the same as when we saw them the last time.
There were so many good rock and R&B bands in those days: Brainbox,
Focus, Barrelhouse, Livin' Blues, Bintangs.
I guess every country produces a few great bands. It seems that the 60's and early 70's was a particular fertile era in Holland.