defects CB 1100

Houtman_imp said:
Another Dutch group with a big hit was Shocking Blue with "Venus" , they had a very sexy lead singer. I did see the than called " The Golden Earrings" in 1966.
John, one of my fav....

 
Shocking Blue could not speak nor sing English at the time of Venus. The singer had to fake the language in a hurry. Did a pretty good job.
 
GoldOxide_imp said:
VLJ_imp said:
EmptySea Wrote:"The Salty Herrings" was the name of my garage band in the 80s. We did a lot of Nederpop stuff.
I'm a guitarist from the '80s, and I still have never heard of "Nederpop."

What is it? Pop music from the Netherlands?
I'm a guitarist from the '80s, and I still have never heard of "Nederpop."

What is it? Pop music from the Netherlands?
Radar Love, man.


I'm a guitarist from the '80s, and I still have never heard of "Nederpop."

What is it? Pop music from the Netherlands?
Radar Love, man.



I saw them open up for Pat Benatar at the L.A. Sports Arena. This must have been back around 1980. They played a strange set: Radar Love, Twilight Zone, and nothing else. Just two songs, both of which they turned into extended jams.

They were surprisingly good.

Inhouse Bob Wrote:
Kajagoogoo: The Hair Club For Men version?

My god. That's some of the worst stuff I've ever heard. Or seen. When it comes to Euros from the Continent, those dudes have always had a screw loose. Nobody should have ever introduced those people to Casio keyboards.

Can't believe SRV is from that same era.
 
I might have to agree with the VLJ , this is NOT good at all . We had some very good bands in the sixties in Holland but later it went down hill.
 
Golden Earring holds the record for the longest continuously intact band ever. Says some DJ somewhere at some point.
 
What about ZZ Top? Started out in 1969, never broke up, never had a lineup change, still going strong. Golden Earring saw various lineup changes over the years.

There are probably other examples, but ZZ Top immediately leapt to mind.
 
VLJ_imp said:
GoldOxide_imp said:
VLJ_imp said:
EmptySea Wrote:"The Salty Herrings" was the name of my garage band in the 80s. We did a lot of Nederpop stuff.
I'm a guitarist from the '80s, and I still have never heard of "Nederpop."

What is it? Pop music from the Netherlands?
I'm a guitarist from the '80s, and I still have never heard of "Nederpop."

What is it? Pop music from the Netherlands?
Radar Love, man.


I'm a guitarist from the '80s, and I still have never heard of "Nederpop."

What is it? Pop music from the Netherlands?
Radar Love, man.



I saw them open up for Pat Benatar at the L.A. Sports Arena. This must have been back around 1980. They played a strange set: Radar Love, Twilight Zone, and nothing else. Just two songs, both of which they turned into extended jams.

They were surprisingly good.

Inhouse Bob Wrote:
Kajagoogoo: The Hair Club For Men version?

My god. That's some of the worst stuff I've ever heard. Or seen. When it comes to Euros from the Continent, those dudes have always had a screw loose. Nobody should have ever introduced those people to Casio keyboards.

Can't believe SRV is from that same era.
I make no claims as to the quality of the video I posted. It was the first thing to come up when I Googled Nederpop. But now I'm an expert :P
VLJ_imp said:
What about ZZ Top? Started out in 1969, never broke up, never had a lineup change, still going strong. Golden Earring saw various lineup changes over the years.

There are probably other examples, but ZZ Top immediately leapt to mind.
"Says some DJ somewhere at some point."

I first saw ZZ Top in concert at The 2Bitter bar in San Marcos, TX in 1975. In keeping with the bar name, the cover charge was $.25. They were a great blues band even then, though I may have been too preoccupied with a certain young co-ed to notice. I wonder where she is today?
 
Houtman_imp said:
I might have to agree with the VLJ , this is NOT good at all . We had some very good bands in the sixties in Holland but later it went down hill.
My personal favorite at the time (as I grew up in Holland) was Cuby and the Blizzards. A blues band with a weird singer (Harry Muskee) and an absolutely brilliant guitar player: Eelco Gelling. Reportedly the Stones asked Gelling to join them but he refused: Muskee and Gelling were natives from a tiny village (Grollo) in the most remote province (Drenthe) of The Netherlands, and he just couldn't imagine leaving home. He did join Golden Earring for a couple of years.

The band was actually really good: they played with Van Morrison, John Mayall and others.

Muskee died in 2011 but Gelling is still around (I believe).

Here is a video from 1967. I still get goosebumps when I hear and see this! ;)

An other great song (without video):
 
bioman_imp said:
Houtman_imp said:
I might have to agree with the VLJ , this is NOT good at all . We had some very good bands in the sixties in Holland but later it went down hill.
My personal favorite at the time (as I grew up in Holland) was Cuby and the Blizzards. A blues band with a weird singer (Harry Muskee) and an absolutely brilliant guitar player: Eelco Gelling. Reportedly the Stones asked Gelling to join them but he refused: Muskee and Gelling were natives from a tiny village (Grollo) in the most remote province (Drenthe) of The Netherlands, and he just couldn't imagine leaving home. He did join Golden Earring for a couple of years.

The band was actually really good: they played with Van Morrison, John Mayall and others.

Muskee died in 2011 but Gelling is still around (I believe).

Here is a video from 1967. I still get goosebumps when I hear and see this! ;)

An other great song (without video):
My personal favorite at the time (as I grew up in Holland) was Cuby and the Blizzards. A blues band with a weird singer (Harry Muskee) and an absolutely brilliant guitar player: Eelco Gelling. Reportedly the Stones asked Gelling to join them but he refused: Muskee and Gelling were natives from a tiny village (Grollo) in the most remote province (Drenthe) of The Netherlands, and he just couldn't imagine leaving home. He did join Golden Earring for a couple of years.

The band was actually really good: they played with Van Morrison, John Mayall and others.

Muskee died in 2011 but Gelling is still around (I believe).

Here is a video from 1967. I still get goosebumps when I hear and see this! ;)

An other great song (without video):
Are you Dutch by birth , do you remember Q65 ?
GoldOxide_imp said:
Houtman_imp said:
Bob , I know where she is : in your mind , even after all those years .
... and she hasn't changed a bit.
... and she hasn't changed a bit.
Old girl friends will always look the same as when we saw them the last time.
 
Houtman_imp said:
bioman_imp said:
Houtman_imp said:
I might have to agree with the VLJ , this is NOT good at all . We had some very good bands in the sixties in Holland but later it went down hill.
My personal favorite at the time (as I grew up in Holland) was Cuby and the Blizzards. A blues band with a weird singer (Harry Muskee) and an absolutely brilliant guitar player: Eelco Gelling. Reportedly the Stones asked Gelling to join them but he refused: Muskee and Gelling were natives from a tiny village (Grollo) in the most remote province (Drenthe) of The Netherlands, and he just couldn't imagine leaving home. He did join Golden Earring for a couple of years.

The band was actually really good: they played with Van Morrison, John Mayall and others.

Muskee died in 2011 but Gelling is still around (I believe).

Here is a video from 1967. I still get goosebumps when I hear and see this! ;)

An other great song (without video):
My personal favorite at the time (as I grew up in Holland) was Cuby and the Blizzards. A blues band with a weird singer (Harry Muskee) and an absolutely brilliant guitar player: Eelco Gelling. Reportedly the Stones asked Gelling to join them but he refused: Muskee and Gelling were natives from a tiny village (Grollo) in the most remote province (Drenthe) of The Netherlands, and he just couldn't imagine leaving home. He did join Golden Earring for a couple of years.

The band was actually really good: they played with Van Morrison, John Mayall and others.

Muskee died in 2011 but Gelling is still around (I believe).

Here is a video from 1967. I still get goosebumps when I hear and see this! ;)

An other great song (without video):
Are you Dutch by birth , do you remember Q65 ?
GoldOxide_imp said:
Houtman_imp said:
Bob , I know where she is : in your mind , even after all those years .
... and she hasn't changed a bit.
... and she hasn't changed a bit.
Old girl friends will always look the same as when we saw them the last time.
Yes, and yes. They were part of the very lively music scene from The Hague. I guess you would call it garage-rock? Although we called it Nederbeat.



There were so many good rock and R&B bands in those days: Brainbox,


Focus, Barrelhouse, Livin' Blues, Bintangs.

I guess every country produces a few great bands. It seems that the 60's and early 70's was a particular fertile era in Holland.
 
I was born in Zaandam in 1950 and lived in Jisp till 1974 and went to St.Michels gestel till 1977.
As Holland is so small it was easy to see great bands all over our Country . I also liked The Shoes and George Baker. I did 18 months in military service , most of the time to drunk to walk straight let alone SHOOT straight !
 
Houtman_imp said:
I was born in Zaandam in 1950 and lived in Jisp till 1974 and went to St.Michels gestel till 1977.
As Holland is so small it was easy to see great bands all over our Country . I also liked The Shoes and George Baker. I did 18 months in military service , most of the time to drunk to walk straight let alone SHOOT straight !
Google Maps

:beerchug:
 
bioman_imp said:
Houtman_imp said:
bioman_imp said:
Houtman_imp said:
I might have to agree with the VLJ , this is NOT good at all . We had some very good bands in the sixties in Holland but later it went down hill.
My personal favorite at the time (as I grew up in Holland) was Cuby and the Blizzards. A blues band with a weird singer (Harry Muskee) and an absolutely brilliant guitar player: Eelco Gelling. Reportedly the Stones asked Gelling to join them but he refused: Muskee and Gelling were natives from a tiny village (Grollo) in the most remote province (Drenthe) of The Netherlands, and he just couldn't imagine leaving home. He did join Golden Earring for a couple of years.

The band was actually really good: they played with Van Morrison, John Mayall and others.

Muskee died in 2011 but Gelling is still around (I believe).

Here is a video from 1967. I still get goosebumps when I hear and see this! ;)

An other great song (without video):
My personal favorite at the time (as I grew up in Holland) was Cuby and the Blizzards. A blues band with a weird singer (Harry Muskee) and an absolutely brilliant guitar player: Eelco Gelling. Reportedly the Stones asked Gelling to join them but he refused: Muskee and Gelling were natives from a tiny village (Grollo) in the most remote province (Drenthe) of The Netherlands, and he just couldn't imagine leaving home. He did join Golden Earring for a couple of years.

The band was actually really good: they played with Van Morrison, John Mayall and others.

Muskee died in 2011 but Gelling is still around (I believe).

Here is a video from 1967. I still get goosebumps when I hear and see this! ;)

An other great song (without video):
Are you Dutch by birth , do you remember Q65 ?
GoldOxide_imp said:
Houtman_imp said:
Bob , I know where she is : in your mind , even after all those years .
... and she hasn't changed a bit.
... and she hasn't changed a bit.
Old girl friends will always look the same as when we saw them the last time.
Yes, and yes. They were part of the very lively music scene from The Hague. I guess you would call it garage-rock? Although we called it Nederbeat.



There were so many good rock and R&B bands in those days: Brainbox,


Focus, Barrelhouse, Livin' Blues, Bintangs.

I guess every country produces a few great bands. It seems that the 60's and early 70's was a particular fertile era in Holland.
Yes, and yes. They were part of the very lively music scene from The Hague. I guess you would call it garage-rock? Although we called it Nederbeat.

...
Interesting. Would that be played on a local television station as a special?
 
That was nice to see Peter , for six months I drove that every day , livibg in Jisp and working in the south till we bought a house. We loved living in the south as the people were friendly .
 
Back
Top