GoldOxide_imp
Road warrior
If the CB1100 was 8 inches taller, I'd be all over it again.
Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.
Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.
So-kay. It looks much better as is. :beerchug:Cormanus_imp said:I, for one, am very pleased it isn't! Sorry Au3O2.
I am 172 cm tall and can easy clock 2000 kms within 2 days, and 500-700 next few days, no discomfort... :biker:Ale72_imp said:even if we look at ergo cycle it is confirmed that the cb 1100 is the most uncomfortable bike among the modern classics, the truth is that one can make it go well but it is not a comfort bike at all for those who are high above 1.70
I guess when I hear the t-120 has "a lot more legroom" or "much more" than that of the CB1100 I shake my head no and say maybe a bit, but that's because a lot more room for me would have to be something in a different class of mc, like an adventure bike; example, my klr650 w/ 35" seat height gives me a lot more leg room.VLJ_imp said:"Much more legroom"...I didn't find that to be the case. But maybe that's because I don't notice the tightness on the CB1100--for me it's in the hip area--until about 30 minutes into a ride. I came to the T-120 test ride after owning the CB1100 for two years, so for me, if the leg room were "much more", I think I would have noticed. All I can say is it felt about the same.pdedse_imp said:"Much more legroom"...I didn't find that to be the case. But maybe that's because I don't notice the tightness on the CB1100--for me it's in the hip area--until about 30 minutes into a ride. I came to the T-120 test ride after owning the CB1100 for two years, so for me, if the leg room were "much more", I think I would have noticed. All I can say is it felt about the same.VLJ_imp said:The Bonneville T-120 is significantly slimmer than the CB1100, and offers much more legroom. The CB1100 requires a much greater bend at the knees. Even though the Bonneville has a lot more legroom, it still feels significantly smaller than the CB, because of its slimness. The Honda feels thick and dense. The Triumph feels thin and waifish.
Motor-wise, the Bonneville is much torquier, with less vibration throughout the midrange, but there is a lot less peak power. It has no revs to speak of. The Honda doesn't offer many revs either, but it's a lot more playful than the Triumph.
Handling? No contest. The Triumph handles like a truck. The front end steers so heavily, so slowly. The CB almost feels like a sportbike in comparison, its handling is so much lighter, quicker, sharper, better.
You are correct. I should have said a "much greater bend at the hips," not at the knee.
My bad.
Anyway, yeah, the T-120 has a lot more legroom than the CB, requiring much less of a bend at the hips.
I don't confirm your statement. The 'truth' is, if one wants to speak of truth, not an easy term, some can adjust to the CB, some can't. I won't bring in a body length of 170cm as an index after which the CB doesn't fit anymore. That's not the case for all CB riders. Truth is what the case is.(Ludwig Wittgenstein)Ale72_imp said:even if we look at ergo cycle it is confirmed that the cb 1100 is the most uncomfortable bike among the modern classics, the truth is that one can make it go well but it is not a comfort bike at all for those who are high above 1.70

Like this tune a lot, and I will certainly have to figure out in spring whether I am already doing the 'peg steering' intuitively (without being aware of it), or whether this will become a trick for my toolbox.Olof_imp said:The headline is 'defects' but we're discussing preferences, by definition a personal thing. This has already been stated (several times), but to me preferences are also fluid if I'm motivated.
Years back, when I spent a lot of time on tracks, I routinely and extensively modded everhing that was unfortunate enough to enter my garage, 'fixing it' so it would be 'rideable'. An old friend of mine, professional motocrosser in the 50s and 60s (Lito-framed Ariel 500, raced in Sweden, Belgium and France) just shook his head: "Learn to ride what you got first. Adapt. Then modify, if you really need to". That stuck (eventually) and I found that his philosophy went a long way.
While this aimed for improving lap times it also works on the road, and with the CB. For example, coming from sports bikes I prefer head-down-tucked-in riding position which the CB does support at all. But if I just shift back on the seat and bend my arms a little I'm fine, and in city traffic the upright position is bliss. Another: the CB seems to like steering 'helps' through the pegs much more than I'm used to. So I relax input through the bars and try to focus more on the pegs. Awkward at first, second nature after a while. A third: spirited oovertaking calls for a bit more planning and downshifting than my previous big bore twins. So I try to get used to that, eventually finding it engaging and enjoyable.
So, no mods needed. But, which is important, I need to be motivated to adapt. If I don't really like the bike that much I just can't be bothered. The CB motivates, however. The more I experience this bike the more I consider myself lucky I've got one and I really enjoy 'getting it'.
By the way, my friend still has his Ariel 500, complete with spare engine in a wheathered wood box, just as it finished its last race, and rides it every now and then. And not slowly either![]()

Probably why I have no issues with stock seats or long hours in the saddle. Nearly daily riding since 1965 has kept my bum and body pummelled into " riding shape"Rboe_imp said:Declaring a bike uncomfortable is very subjective; we all bend differently. Ones height is not the full story either, Inseam, arm length - both are very important. Big bum and small bum probably has a fair amount of bearing too.
Being in shape to ride long rides is huge. Which is why the ride home is usually a lot easier than the ride out - you got pummelled into shape!
I'm beginning to understand why folks will trailer a bike to a destination.......
Ale72_imp said:thank you guys.
known that many consider the engine anonymous and many have raised the saddle and lowered the motorcycle footpegs as it is designed for Chinese and Japanese with average height different from us Westerners.
