defects CB 1100

Ale72_imp

First service completed
Thread starter
hi everyone, I was a bit disappointed with this bike for two main reasons
1) uncomfortable that derives from the footrests too close to the saddle and that creates a too narrow knee angle inclination

2) delivery of the engine too boring, anonymous, tasteless

what do you think?
i go back to moto guzzi
 
Too bad you don't like it Ale, I think it's a great motorcycle. 56,000 miles on mine... happy with ergos, happy with power delivery. Love mine.

Having ridden several Moto Guzzi's recently (Griso and V7 111) , how you could prefer a Guzzi over a CB 1100 absolutely baffles me, but a person must do/buy what makes them happy.

Best of luck in the future with what ever bike you decide on.
 
If I lived in Italy I’d be on a Moto Guzzi. The only thing that prevents me from buying another one is the non-existent dealer network support in the USA.

About your concerns:

1) after market pegs are available and make a big difference in foot placement/rider comfort. I have a set on my CB and they noticeably improved long distance ride comfort for me.

2) Yes. The Honda engine is ultra smooth. Some riders will never warm up to that. If you want to more closely approximate the character a Moto Guzzi engine provides, I suggest you start by pulling the cable off one of the 4 spark plugs while riding it. If one is not enough continue pulling spark plug cables off plugs until the Honda runs like a Guzzi’s or provides the amount of character you desire from your engine. However, I think that my first point ( if in Italy ride a Guzzi due to the strong dealer network support) is probably your best option.
 
Thread starter
thanks frulk, do you really mean when you talk about removing a spark plug and turning it to 3 cylinders? I would like a less perfect and precise delivery and dirtier I don't enjoy it so flat
The ferret_imp said:
Too bad you don't like it Ale, I think it's a great motorcycle. 56,000 miles on mine... happy with ergos, happy with power delivery. Love mine.

Having ridden several Moto Guzzi's recently (Griso and V7 111) , how you could prefer a Guzzi over a CB 1100 absolutely baffles me, but a person must do/buy what makes them happy.

Best of luck in the future with what ever bike you decide on.
how much other ferret are you? I 1.82 and for me it is too too small
 
The comments about the plug wires was ‘American’ humor. I love Moto Guzzi and have a V7R. I would also have a Griso but in the USA Moto Guzzi motorcycles are not as popular as they COULD be due in part to their weak dealership network.

The CB has its own character and most of us on this site appreciate it. It doesn’t provide the vibration and mechanical feedback that a Guzzi does....

It will never FEEL like a Guzzi or for that matter a Harley etc. I hope you get it resolved. In order to enjoy a ride you need to be happy with the bike you’re on.
 
Thread starter
The ferret_imp said:
Too bad you don't like it Ale, I think it's a great motorcycle. 56,000 miles on mine... happy with ergos, happy with power delivery. Love mine.

Having ridden several Moto Guzzi's recently (Griso and V7 111) , how you could prefer a Guzzi over a CB 1100 absolutely baffles me, but a person must do/buy what makes them happy.

Best of luck in the future with what ever bike you decide on.
how much other ferret are you? I 1.82 and for me it is too too small
 
Ferret would have to stand on a chair to get to 1.82. :rofl:

People buy bikes all the time that they wind up not liking, but didn't you sit on the CB1100 before you bought it?
 
Thread starter
yes, I was wrong, I haven't tried the bike for a long time and I thought it could be suitable for people who are not short
 
You can buy a higher seat and pegs which adjust down and forward. I have those. That will increase cost obviously but may make the bike suitable for comfort. Of course there’s still the issue of the sterile or soulless (so to speak) Honda motor. That’s just something you probably won’t be able to resolve.
 
I don't believe your two concerns could be called "defects". I'm sure it's just a language (Italian to English) thing. I can see how a taller person may feel a bit cramped on the CB, heck there have been more than a couple forum members who have given up the bike for this reason. And as for the engine delivery (or perceived lack thereof) I can understand someone wanting a little more "character". I love my Bonneville PTwin motor with all that comes with it, however, these CB's have been butter smooth for years. In fact I believe some engine "character" was engineered in with regards to the timing sequence.

So the bike doesn't work for you but it's not defective. I hope you find the perfect Guzzi for your garage. I wish I had one!
 
Thread starter
where can i find these platforms? are the same for 2017 compared to previous models?
Bheezy27403_imp said:
I don't believe your two concerns could be called "defects". I'm sure it's just a language (Italian to English) thing. I can see how a taller person may feel a bit cramped on the CB, heck there have been more than a couple forum members who have given up the bike for this reason. And as for the engine delivery (or perceived lack thereof) I can understand someone wanting a little more "character". I love my Bonneville PTwin motor with all that comes with it, however, these CB's have been butter smooth for years. In fact I believe some engine "character" was engineered in with regards to the timing sequence.

So the bike doesn't work for you but it's not defective. I hope you find the perfect Guzzi for your garage. I wish I had one!
yes correct I don't want to say defect but a feature that I don't like, I find it too small and the engine I find boring, I know I have written correct.
Tks
 
Lowering Vario foot pegs and a higher Corbin seat made my bikes better for my 1.80 height , not absolute perfect but good enough and I LOVE the smooth engine.
 
Thread starter
2017 model motorcycle footpegs attack is the same as previous models motorcycle footpegs attack?
 
Not sure you want to wait that long, but now that you bought a CB1100 I would ride her for a thousand kilometers. Her value doesn't change that way. What one likes and what one doesn't often depends on former experience, friends, and expectations - and of course what riding you do. My personal guess, after 20 hours you will like the sound, the feel and the performance of that engine. It may be worth a trial and all it takes is a little good will.
About geometry ? I am 6'5 (about 1,90) with long legs, and the geometry is just right for me. 10km, 100km, 3 hours on her and I feel just fine. It is a position which gives me great control, not a seat on a sofa. But every rider is different. I would certainly make (small) changes to the handle bars position, pegs and test various cushions before I sold a good bike.
Did you buy 2nd hand ?
 
I'm 6'1" (that would be 1.85 in meters) and I have 76,000 miles (that would be 122310.14 kilometers) on a CB1100. Everyone is different. I find the bike pretty comfy, but my friend Glen would wind up in physical therapy for a month after an hour on a CB1100.
 
Ale72_imp said:
yes, I was wrong, I haven't tried the bike for a long time and I thought it could be suitable for people who are not short
I measure 1.92

Yes, I am "too tall" for the bike...as I am for many other bikes. I use a cheap foam pad that's strapped onto my seat, it helps considerably with tightness in the knees and hips. For long trips I put 2 foam pads on my seat, raising seat height by 5cm.

When my knees and hips began to feel better, I started liking the sound more. :)
 
Ale72

I am 1.88m tall.

I bought the Daytona seat from a forum member several years ago. It is about 25mm taller than stock, I believe. I wanted that particular one because it looks like the factory original.

About the uninspired engine performance...I installed a "Power Commander V" on my CB1100, and it completely changed the performance of the motor. This is the only time I have done this, and I have owned many bikes. The difference was immediately noticeable. I actually started lifting the front wheel by accident when taking off for the first time. It changed what I considered to be a lackluster 4cyl engine into one that accelerates much more briskly through the rev range.

I also have the full Yoshimura exhaust system, but I consider that to be a more of a cosmetic, weight-reducing, and very pleasing "sound" change to the bike. I think the increased performance is due solely to the PCV. I was strongly inclined to sell the bike before that.

There is a Power Commander V for sale in the classifieds on this site. The seller is in Dublin..so not that far away from you!
 
Ale72, I am 1,98 and every bike seems too small for me. Before my CB1100, I owned a Guzzi V7 Cafe’ and a V7 Classic, both of which were smaller and lighter than the CB1100 but just as enjoyable, with more engine character. I don’t think your objections can be construed as defects — they are simply intrinsic qualities of the CB1000 that you don’t value. Like Frulk, I too would own another Guzzi if the US dealership network was more robust and supportive — they’re wonderful motorbikes!

I’ve enjoyed riding in your country several times and while I didn’t notice a lot of Moto Guzzi’s (mostly BMW GS’s), if I lived there, I would own one in a heartbeat. Good luck!
 
Back
Top