Dart Flyscreen fit 2014 CB1100?

TINK_imp

Been there
Thread starter
Anyone tried fitting a DART flyscreen to a 2014 CB1100 yet? Will it fit around the new for 2014 gauge set, do you know?

I posed this question to DART last February as soon as I knew the 2014 CB1100 would be getting a new gauge set and revised headlamp mounting (25mm higher on the forks, I've read). At that time Stephen Sleddon of Dart Flyscreens Ltd wrote me back and said he had not fitted a 2014 yet and that I'd be the first to try.

Fast forward; I'm still waiting delivery of my 2014 CB1100 Deluxe but I've written a deposit check and she should be in my garage any day now. So I'm back on the hunt to find out if a DART flyscreen will fit a 2014 CB1100. Anyone? Anyone? Bueller?

TINK
 
Hi Tink!

I purchased the Dart Flyscreen for my CB 1100 EX last month. The first set of brackets won't fit perfect (not enough space to the instrument housings), so Steve sent my a pair of modified brackets. These were nearly all right but during riding I noticed a buzz produced by a minor contact between the bracket and the instruments. So I collocated a soft neoprene between this points an now it is perfect. I told Steve this and he said to me he will design an newer version of the brackets and send them to me when they are ready.

Regards
Gustav


[url=http://abload.de/image.php?img=dsc0106208smb.jpg]
 
TINK_imp said:
Anyone tried fitting a DART flyscreen to a 2014 CB1100 yet? Will it fit around the new for 2014 gauge set, do you know?

I posed this question to DART last February as soon as I knew the 2014 CB1100 would be getting a new gauge set and revised headlamp mounting (25mm higher on the forks, I've read). At that time Stephen Sleddon of Dart Flyscreens Ltd wrote me back and said he had not fitted a 2014 yet and that I'd be the first to try.

Fast forward; I'm still waiting delivery of my 2014 CB1100 Deluxe but I've written a deposit check and she should be in my garage any day now. So I'm back on the hunt to find out if a DART flyscreen will fit a 2014 CB1100. Anyone? Anyone? Bueller?

TINK
G'day TINK. I refer you to this thread:

Dart Flyscreen Ltd - Tick of Approval

I have found the screen to suit my needs. I will say that others on this forum would not agree with me. I'll let them respond or you can track down their posts. Also my bike is a '10 model. However if my experience is a good indication I am sure Dart will look after you.

In short I get good wind protraction up to around 120kph with a pressure wave on my upper chest/ shoulder area. I'm about 5' 11" and my helmet is in clean air. I have had the bike up to 190kph with no screen vibration or steering issues. It's not, by any means, a total protection cruiser type screen and you must bear this in mind. I like its looks and the protection it gives me.

Keeps the bugs off as well :).

[/img]

Cheers
 
Thread starter
Now that I actually have my 2014 CB1100 Deluxe in my garage I contacted Steve at Dart Flyscreens, here's our exchange:

Hi Brian,

I bet you’re looking forward to that!

The current brackets don’t fit the Deluxe. We are expecting a new batch of brackets at the end of next week which will suit your bike. I’ll let you know the minute they’re available.

Best regards
Steve


Stephen Sleddon
Dart Flyscreens Ltd
http://www.dartflyscreens.com


On 14 Aug 2014, at 08:45, Brian TINK Tinkler <tinkler@ix.netcom.com> wrote:

Steve,

Tomorrow I'm picking up my 2014 CB1100 Deluxe (called CB1100 EX in England, I believe) :-)

Back in February 2014 I wrote you about the differences in the instrument cluster of the newly redesigned 2014 vs the 2013 and earlier.

I'm ready to order my DART fly screen (dark tint, thank you) but before I place my order I wanted to be sure I would get the newest brackets that I've been reading about on Honda CB1100 Forum - For fans of Honda's CB1100 so I would not have and clearance problems with my 2014 CB1100 Deluxe (EX).

TINK


Brian "TINK" Tinkler
http://www.photosbytink.com/
 
I just received word directly from Dart Flyscreen that the 2014 version for the CB1100 is now available for ordering (with new brackets).

My question is this:
When removing the bolts that hold the Headlight Bucket to the old headlight brackets, do the nuts or nutserts remain in place in the bucket, or do you need to open the bucket to access the nuts?

Thanks!
 
While I didn't have to deal with the '14 fitment problems, I have to say that I'm very impressed with the quality and the solid mounting of the new Dart on my '13. Much better than any other aftermarket fairing I've ever tried (and there's been quite a few!).
 
Papa Weeley_imp said:
While I didn't have to deal with the '14 fitment problems, I have to say that I'm very impressed with the quality and the solid mounting of the new Dart on my '13. Much better than any other aftermarket fairing I've ever tried (and there's been quite a few!).
I think that the solid mounting must be due to the well made metal brackets that replace the existing headlight bucket brackets. I'm anxious to get my Dart if just to replace the bucket brackets. Billet brackets alone can cost almost as much as the complete Dart Flyscreen Kit.
 
"metal brackets that replace the cheap plastic that Honda provided for the headlight bucket"

Pretty sure my headlight brackets are metal
 
The ferret_imp said:
"metal brackets that replace the cheap plastic that Honda provided for the headlight bucket"

Pretty sure my headlight brackets are metal
My stock bucket brackets (the triangular silver brackets) sure look like they are made from a natural colour moulded plastic and painted silver. I haven't removed them yet, but one of the first things I did on my bike was touch up the ends where the flashing was ground off in the factory and what looked like raw plastic was exposed.

I checked the OEM exploded parts listing, and the stock brackets are $19 each. I cannot see them being made from die cast metal for that price, but I'm sure someone will be able to verify the exact material and likely prove me wrong.
 
hmmm just went out and looked.... sure looks and feels like metal. Magnet wouldn't stick to it but magnet wouldn't stick to f brake master cyl cap, or top triple tree either. Did stick to lower triple tree, mirror and headlight ring.

If that's not metal they did a heck of a job disguising it.
 
Thread starter
Steve wrote me to say the 2014 production brackets are available. Ordered my DART fly screen last night. :celebrate:

From: Stephen Sleddon <steve@dartflyscreens.com>
To: [snip]
Date: 09/02/2014 08:21 AM
Subject: Re: 2014 flyscreen from DART?

Hi,

I hope you are well. I have good news - we now have brackets to fit the
Dart flyscreen to the 2014 CB1100E / EX / DX / Deluxe models.

You can find it here: http://www.dartflyscreens.com/en/cb1100.html

The screen looks the same as the previous model - it’s just a change in the
brackets to clear the new instruments. Just be sure when you order to go
for the “2014+ (6 speed)” option.

Best regards
Steve


Stephen Sleddon
Dart Flyscreens Ltd
http://www.dartflyscreens.com

TINK
 
Gumby 1100_imp said:
The ferret_imp said:
"metal brackets that replace the cheap plastic that Honda provided for the headlight bucket"

Pretty sure my headlight brackets are metal
My stock bucket brackets (the triangular silver brackets) sure look like they are made from a natural colour moulded plastic and painted silver. I haven't removed them yet, but one of the first things I did on my bike was touch up the ends where the flashing was ground off in the factory and what looked like raw plastic was exposed.

I checked the OEM exploded parts listing, and the stock brackets are $19 each. I cannot see them being made from die cast metal for that price, but I'm sure someone will be able to verify the exact material and likely prove me wrong.
My stock bucket brackets (the triangular silver brackets) sure look like they are made from a natural colour moulded plastic and painted silver. I haven't removed them yet, but one of the first things I did on my bike was touch up the ends where the flashing was ground off in the factory and what I'm fairly sure was raw plastic was exposed.

I checked the OEM exploded parts listing, and the stock brackets are $19 each. I cannot see them being made from die cast metal for that price. I could be wrong, but my gut is telling me that die cast non-ferrous metal brackets would not stand up to the vibration they would receive in this application.


Well, mine are obviously off since I have the Dart, and I can assure you that they (at least mine, anyway!) most definitely are metal (sorry for the crappy cell phone picture):

Makes me wonder if Honda used different parts/materials in different parts of the world? I'd be curious to know if yours truly are plastic when you get your Dart! Inquiring minds want to know! :D
 
I don't think that plastic would be sturdy enough to carry the headlight assembly in the long term. That thing isn't all that heavy, but it needs to be kept from bouncing around while riding and not break off in the long term.
 
Papa Weeley_imp said:
That was my thought, too, but one of the members seems pretty certain his is plastic.
No he doesn't...at least not any more :blush:

I haven't removed them yet, but I did manage to scrape some metal filings from a discrete inner flange to test my erroneous theory. It must be some non-ferrous metal, possibly a type of aluminum or aluminum/zinc alloy, but it is a very good die casting with low porosity. When still attached to the bike they sound very dead and non-metalic when tapped, but I'm sure that Papa Weeley can get a metalic ring out of them now that they are free from the bike.

What lead me to the theory that they were plastic, was that there were signs that mine had been ground down a bit on the leading edge, AFTER they had been painted. What was visible was a greyish, natural colour, very similar to the plastics used in automotive interior trim that get painted to match other trim (cheaper than moulding each piece in many colours).

I'm still very surprised that Honda can make such parts for only $20 each. If I weren't still thinking of getting the Dart, I might now refinish the brackets to match my Blue tank. It would certainly be cheaper than billet aluminum brackets.
 
LOL. OK. Another one of life's great mysteries solved!
You're right, I'm guessing it is either an aluminum alloy or some sort of pot-metal. Very lightweight, looks brittle. And yes, a very bright metallic ring to it. ;)
 
Man, I though they were plastic too. I also have a spare set (thanks to Ack) and just went and took a look at them.

Like gumby, I scraped some on the inside and they are sure enough metal. Seems like aluminum to me, but could be aluminium :P
 
At no point did I ever think they were plastic.
I was certain you were wrong, but I wasn't going to get into a discussion about it.
Glad you found out for sure :thumbsup:
 
Back
Top