Damaged Wheel

Valtorei_imp

First service completed
Thread starter
Sad news...

1200 miles into my brand new bike, and my tire went haywire and popped which caused me to severely damage my rim/wheel. I’m not sure how tire popped, as the damage was done where it connects to the rim, not the area that touches the ground. My dad thinks the tire was defective and I’m honestly not sure...

I ride the 2014 model and a new wheel and tire is roughly $700 so I’ve been searching EBay for cheaper alternatives.

I did find two different rear wheel styles for the 2013 CB1100.

One is a straight 18x4 wheel and the other is a PCX150 14x2.15 14” straight wheel.

I was wondering if these would work.y
 
Valtorei_imp said:
Sad news...

1200 miles into my brand new bike, and my tire went haywire and popped which caused me to severely damage my rim/wheel. I’m not sure how tire popped, as the damage was done where it connects to the rim, not the area that touches the ground. My dad thinks the tire was defective and I’m honestly not sure...

I ride the 2014 model and a new wheel and tire is roughly $700 so I’ve been searching EBay for cheaper alternatives.

I did find two different rear wheel styles for the 2013 CB1100.

One is a straight 18x4 wheel and the other is a PCX150 14x2.15 14” straight wheel.

I was wondering if these would work.y
If it were my bike, I would replace rear wheel with OEM and PR3
Make decision after others response.
 
Thread starter
peterbaron_imp said:
Valtorei_imp said:
Sad news...

1200 miles into my brand new bike, and my tire went haywire and popped which caused me to severely damage my rim/wheel. I’m not sure how tire popped, as the damage was done where it connects to the rim, not the area that touches the ground. My dad thinks the tire was defective and I’m honestly not sure...

I ride the 2014 model and a new wheel and tire is roughly $700 so I’ve been searching EBay for cheaper alternatives.

I did find two different rear wheel styles for the 2013 CB1100.

One is a straight 18x4 wheel and the other is a PCX150 14x2.15 14” straight wheel.

I was wondering if these would work.y
If it were my bike, I would replace rear wheel with OEM and PR3
Make decision after others response.
If it were my bike, I would replace rear wheel with OEM and PR3
Make decision after others response. I’m still new to stuff like this... What’s a PR3?
 
There's only one OEM wheel for 2013/2014, and it's the 18x4. Not sure where you found the other wheel, but the PCX-150 is a small-wheeled scooter.

Furthermore, if you're not already aware, there's a color difference between the 2013 & 2014 CB1100 wheels.
 
Yeah that’s a good site too.
 
Mate, it has the popgun seal of approval. Must be a beauty. :thumbsup:
 
I’m not really a beauty :blush: Oh wait,you meant the website :P
 
Surely you didn’t think ...? :rofl:
 
Valtorei, Do you have any pictures of the damage to the wheel? And do you know why the tire failed? Was it a puncture, or did the bead fail?

I am assuming the bike is a black 2014 standard.
 
I got a rear flat on my VFR800 last year while riding at 75 mph on the freeway. I didn't even know it was flat until I changed lanes and rode over a lane marker (they use these things in Ca). I think the centrifugal force at 75 mpg kept the tire off the rim. When I ran over the lane marker it felt like I hit a brick! Long story short, I damaged the rim. I had my rim straightened the next weekend by Dr. John's Motorcycle Frame Straightening, located in Anaheim Ca. I called them on the phone and he said to bring it up and he would fix it while I waited, if I got there at 7:00 AM Saturday morning. They repaired my rim as good as new (I checked it on the bike with the engine running, no tire, wheel spinning). They didn't even damage the powder-coating! This is the guy who repaired the Cycle World Indian they were using for the Pike's Peak event, the day before the actual event. Great guy, great price, excellent work, highly recommended.
 
Same experience here in the Denver area with Woody's Wheel Works. They are magicians with wheel building, wheel straightening, and wheel repair. Highly recommended!
 
If the rim of your wheel is bent and that bent area is less than 4" long, the wheel CAN be repaired, according to Robin Dean of theridingobsession.com.
 
Back
Top