What's a reasonable price...

joecurry_imp

New to the forum
Thread starter
Hi,
New to the forum. I have a 71 CB750 that needs more love than I can give. I don't have work space and my wife is tired of me eating up perfectly good days working on it. It really bums me out to realize I have to sell it. I don't have the room, time or money for it.

But I am looking for a CB1100. I kind of worry that I'm pigeon holing myself and not broadening my horizons. But I think i know what I like. I had a 94 sportster 1200 for 3 months when my 750 had another bout of too many issues I cared to fix. I didn't like it. And I love old bikes, but I can't bring another old bike home... not for a while at least.

I test rode one that came up at a dealership and I absolutely loved it. But in looking at the used market vs dealership prices I'm not sure if I should hold out or drive a while to save some cash or go to the dealership near me.

$7999 for a 2014
6300 miles
full Yoshi Exhaust System, Driving Lites, Engine Guards, Fly Screen

I honestly would rather get something stock and work from there. I was going to see about trying to work on the price a bit.

Thoughts?

Thanks!

PS. If anyone in the Philly area needs a CB750 project holler at me.
 
Welcome joecurry. Given you'd prefer a stock bike, you might do better to wait and look some more.
 
Cormanus_imp said:
Welcome joecurry. Given you'd prefer a stock bike, you might do better to wait and look some more.
I agree. More stock versions do come up with some regularity. I looked for about 3-4 months before finding mine. Decide what is important, what your price range is and then look every day. Persistence is key. You will find it.
 
Hey joecurry - welcome to the Forum. Certainly a situation where you are not alone. However, the day can happen where a wonderful CB1100 offering will find its way to you.
 
Wish i was closer too philly im about to strip my dads 750 down and start restoring it in the next few years
Yes welcome hold out a good deal will come along i picked up a 2014 for 5500$ with 1800 miles had a lot of dumb custom stuff i probably spent about 800$ putting it back to oem
 
I had a ‘70 CB750K0. Lovely to look at and admire through rose-colored goggles, but not that fabulous when actually ridden. Almost scary, actually. We are quite spoiled by today’s bikes.

I sold my stock ‘14 DLX with 19,000 miles for $5000. Be patient — you’ll find your bike.
 
LongRanger_imp said:
I had a ‘70 CB750K0. Lovely to look at and admire through rose-colored goggles, but not that fabulous when actually ridden. Almost scary, actually. We are quite spoiled by today’s bikes.

I sold my stock ‘14 DLX with 19,000 miles for $5000. Be patient — you’ll find your bike.
what was scary ? i love riding my dads k3 nothing scary about it begs to be riddin
 
That seems high to me. I'd keep looking. I was told last year by the head mechanic there that Montgomeryville Cycle Center expected to get more leftover 14's in. I don't know what truth there is to that but could be worth monitoring since you're in the area.
 
Hi Joe,

Welcome from Southern California. If you want to get top dollar for that 750, box it up and send it out here. Hipsters in Santa Monica and Venice would bleed for that bike. And give you plenty of dough for whatever CB1100 you'd care to buy. In fact, there's a clean, stock '13 that's been parked on our local Craig's List for a while.
 
joecurry_imp said:
Hi,
New to the forum. I have a 71 CB750 that needs more love than I can give. I don't have work space and my wife is tired of me eating up perfectly good days working on it. It really bums me out to realize I have to sell it. I don't have the room, time or money for it.

But I am looking for a CB1100. I kind of worry that I'm pigeon holing myself and not broadening my horizons. But I think i know what I like. I had a 94 sportster 1200 for 3 months when my 750 had another bout of too many issues I cared to fix. I didn't like it. And I love old bikes, but I can't bring another old bike home... not for a while at least.

I test rode one that came up at a dealership and I absolutely loved it. But in looking at the used market vs dealership prices I'm not sure if I should hold out or drive a while to save some cash or go to the dealership near me.

$7999 for a 2014
6300 miles
full Yoshi Exhaust System, Driving Lites, Engine Guards, Fly Screen

I honestly would rather get something stock and work from there. I was going to see about trying to work on the price a bit.

Thoughts?

Thanks!

PS. If anyone in the Philly area needs a CB750 project holler at me.

Post a pic or 5. I can probably give you rough estimate. In Philly if it needs work can be a tough sell. Clean and ride ready? Different story. K2s and K3s can be pretty desirable if in good shape.
 
Thread starter
KiowaEagle_imp said:
Yeah I've got that on an open tab. I was wondering if I was going to miss the 6th gear or not. I also figured I could play some hardball with the dealerships since I'm not desperate to get it from them.
Rox_imp said:
joecurry_imp said:
Hi,
New to the forum. I have a 71 CB750 that needs more love than I can give. I don't have work space and my wife is tired of me eating up perfectly good days working on it. It really bums me out to realize I have to sell it. I don't have the room, time or money for it.

But I am looking for a CB1100. I kind of worry that I'm pigeon holing myself and not broadening my horizons. But I think i know what I like. I had a 94 sportster 1200 for 3 months when my 750 had another bout of too many issues I cared to fix. I didn't like it. And I love old bikes, but I can't bring another old bike home... not for a while at least.

I test rode one that came up at a dealership and I absolutely loved it. But in looking at the used market vs dealership prices I'm not sure if I should hold out or drive a while to save some cash or go to the dealership near me.

$7999 for a 2014
6300 miles
full Yoshi Exhaust System, Driving Lites, Engine Guards, Fly Screen

I honestly would rather get something stock and work from there. I was going to see about trying to work on the price a bit.

Thoughts?

Thanks!

PS. If anyone in the Philly area needs a CB750 project holler at me.

Post a pic or 5. I can probably give you rough estimate. In Philly if it needs work can be a tough sell. Clean and ride ready? Different story. K2s and K3s can be pretty desirable if in good shape.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/164823368199

I have it on on a few sites to see what kind of interest I get.
It "rides" but it went from small oil leak to more noticeable oil leak. And I'm not going to pull that engine out and do the work myself... I just don't have that kind of space or time. It's definitely on the quirkier end of what you can find. But it's all there. I'm seeing rougher projects go for more.
We'll see what happens!
 
I look at it like this. they only made so many 14's. I know mine is well cared for. I've got the bars like I want them. I've got OEM engine guards and luggage rack. I've got Arrow slip-on. I've got a Luimoto seat installed with stainless steal staples. I'm happy with it and feel like I can't replace it without spending a fair amount of money. anytime you buy a used bike there's a chance you will get a dud. If I bought 3, I might get one good one. not to mention the hassle of buying and selling. In my mind, when compared to what you get for your money, they are worth at least $7,000 in the shape mine is in, so 7 x 3 = $21,000.
 
I just bought a 13 with 7kmiles for $4k. Had to drive about 1.5 hours for it. Have you considered a 919?

Facebook

This bike is in great shape and he also has a CB1100. Well he did a couple weeks ago. I think you could get him down to $5k on the 919.
 
You should be able to find one pretty easily in the 6-7k range. I just bought mine a few weeks ago. Cycletrader might be a good place to check. Good luck !
 
Back
Top