Columbus Day Weekend 2016

its too bad you couldn't jump on the train in Jacksonville. That would have been less painful. Anyhow, if you had ridden up, you would have missed the Northern Va traffic... and me! See you in 45 minutes.
 
Woot! We made it to Charlottesville, VA in good order and are enjoying brunch at the Moose By The Creek dive bar/ diner. Perfect place for bada** bikers dudes like us... "Where can I plug in my phone charger?"

I recommend it!
 
Can't wait for photos ... but none of phone chargers please. :banana:
 
Thread starter
Really long day today. Between the train ride, encounters with moose, lost wallets and 80 miles of BRP, I am spent.

Thank you Bob for meeting me at the train station, leading the way to Rock Fish Gap and the company and the music. Twas a great day! :thanks:

We are in the Peaks of Otter Lodge. Tomorrow the plan is to make it to Little Switzerland and maybe do The Diamondback. Will go BRP all the way, except for gas.

SamMac, A-Man, 4Paws, anywhere along my planned route that you would like to join us? For planning purposes I'll announce here when we get underway again.

I'll post pics and more details when I get home. The cell signal here is non-existent and the wifi not much better.

I gotta sleep. Nite nite.
 
Intersection of Hwy 52 and the BRP - mm199- is about 130 mi. from Peaks of Otter and has a gas station ($2.05 today) right there. Good place to meet up.
 
I'll plan to be at your hotel Thursday morning when you plan to leave, just give me a target time when you get it figured out. Weather is still ok, some clouds and a light breeze. Ride safe.
 
Just talked to 4 Paws. We will be at the 52 and BRP intersection about 11:00 and will hang around for a while waiting for Nemo and Nemo Jr.
 
Got together with 4 Paws, Nemo and his son today. Did a little riding on the BRP. Great guys to ride with and enjoyed lunch at the Fancy Gap Deli thanks to 4Paws recommendation. Here are a couple pics.
 
Sam Mac_imp said:
Got together with 4 Paws, Nemo and his son today. Did a little riding on the BRP. Great guys to ride with and enjoyed lunch at the Fancy Gap Deli thanks to 4Paws recommendation. Here are a couple pics.
4Paws, I like the cat ears in the first photo. Now I know what 4Paws means :P
 
Ahhh Maybrey Mill. See Dan was riding his new 500.

Great that you guys were able to get together.
 
Thread starter
GREAT DAY OF RIDING!!! Woke up on a real bed in the Peaks of Otter. I needed the rest. Good breakfast and hit the BRP southbound. Met with 4Paws and SamMac: AWESOME PEEPS!! Rode with them some, had lunch, rode some more. Said goodbye at around 1700.

Fran and I still had 100 miles to go but we made it to The Skyline Village Inn in Little Switzerland. Nice little place owned by the nicest couple. Dropped our stuff in the room and rushed to the restaurant across the street but they had closed 10 minutes before. Mike, the owner of the Skyline Village, cooked for us A REALLY GOOD STEAK! Yum!

Weather was really good all day unlike what awaits us on our way home. Because of weather we have to cut our adventure short. Tomorrow we have to head home and get to Mama before Matthew hits JAX. She's freaking out a bit and I have to get the house ready for a hurricane. We wont do any loops and can't go to Maggie Valley. I hate adult priorities.

As soonas I have decent web access I'll post pix.

Good night folks!
Change of plans. We cant finish the BRP. Things are not looking good for FL with this storm. We'll go straight home tomorrow.

226 south to Spartanburg to Augusta to I16 to Savannah and haul arse down 95.

Sucks. :@

Next year...
 
That's a shame, but she needs you, so you go.
Glad you made it up for some good VA riding, anyhow.
Be safe and stay dry!
 
Travel safely, Nemo. I hope the hurricane fizzles out.
 
Last night on the news they said it was gaining strength and that once it got past the Carolinas some computer models showed it circling back around and having another go at Florida. I used to live in Ft Pierce Fla ( directly in this Hurricanes path) as a child and in 1959 we got battered pretty good by a hurricane I believe was named Edith. Lots of destruction in my neighborhood but our house was spared. The neighbors on each side of us got hammered though. Weird how these storms walk around on land.
 
Back
Top