Checking valve clearances

Haystack_imp said:
Mine were checked at 15,000 miles all in spec and now with 125,950 miles it still runs great! No plan to have them checked again.
Haystack! Last time I heard (while at west coast rally in Oregon) I think you had about 75-80k miles on your bike. Good to hear you've finally got it broken in.
 
pdedse_imp said:
Haystack_imp said:
Mine were checked at 15,000 miles all in spec and now with 125,950 miles it still runs great! No plan to have them checked again.
Haystack! Last time I heard (while at west coast rally in Oregon) I think you had about 75-80k miles on your bike. Good to hear you've finally got it broken in.
Haystack! Last time I heard (while at west coast rally in Oregon) I think you had about 75-80k miles on your bike. Good to hear you've finally got it broken in.
pdedse: Great to hear from you! Yes, it's about time for an oil change...
 
Haystack_imp said:
Mine were checked at 15,000 miles all in spec and now with 125,950 miles it still runs great! No plan to have them checked again.
Nice to see where some of the limits are ( and expanding ) i wonder what the Honda engineers who engineered the cb1100 think of the long intervals and smile.

Someone got something right eh?:)

Thanks for posting gents.
 
Hey Haystack, was wondering what mileage you were up to now. Wonder what the highest miles on a CB is? I think someone on here said t ng ey were over 130,000 not too long ago.
 
Haystack_imp said:
Mine were checked at 15,000 miles all in spec and now with 125,950 miles it still runs great! No plan to have them checked again.
This could explain why Honda stopping use hydraulic lifters by the 90s. They had their production tolerances consistently within [ideal] design tolerance and with better materials durability. In other words, Honda's confidence was high.
 
I had a 335K kms/208K miles car with shims and have never even pulled off the valve train cover.
Also, serviced several cars with over 500000 kms/310000 miles, no issues at all.
Now days, engine materials, technology and oils are much better than last century.
 
Yeah, I think there was something in our CRV’s manual about checking the valves at 100k miles. I’d like to hear from anyone who actually has.
 
Gone in 60_imp said:
Yeah, I think there was something in our CRV’s manual about checking the valves at 100k miles. I’d like to hear from anyone who actually has.
Wow - you don't hear/read that too often.

I'll have to check our Honda vehicle. I vaguely recall a similar entry. Nonetheless, the cage lump purrs splendidly.
 
All of that sounds promising…my first 4 wheel Honda after years of buying Toyota/Lexus vehicles. I’ve seen several of these used with 300k miles on them.

I blame rickcb for some of this purchase. I rode in his during the 2019 rally and was really impressed with it.
644672f1e6d243141dfcaf3104d829fd.jpg

634d0177e24a5e5649ecd744e27fec3a.jpg



Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 
peterbaron_imp said:
DrewNJ_imp said:
GoldOxide_imp said:
DrewNJ_imp said:
I have a feeling that my valves will never get checked ....
... because a future sale of the bike is in order?

Valve checking intervals in practice appears to be quite long for many owners.
... because a future sale of the bike is in order?

Valve checking intervals in practice appears to be quite long for many owners.
Similar to my can-am. Seems like they just don't tighten up all that quick.
... because .....
Valve checking intervals in practice appears to be quite long for many owners.
Similar to my can-am. Seems like they just don't tighten up all that quick.
DrewNJ, would be interested to know what year and model of Can-Am you own, mileage, any problems with yours and others??
Pics, please.
... because .....
Valve checking intervals in practice appears to be quite long for many owners.
Similar to my can-am. Seems like they just don't tighten up all that quick.
DrewNJ, would be interested to know what year and model of Can-Am you own, mileage, any problems with yours and others??
Pics, please.
The Spyder is a 2012 RS, bought new at the beginning of 2012. It's got over 25k miles on it and has really been one of the best I've ever owned. It's been all over the east coast with never a hiccup. Only general maintenance. Oil changes, brakes, tires, plugs, filters, etc etc. Runs perfect with no real issues. My wife actually rides it more now than I do. (we have 6 bikes currently). It's a fantastic touring machine for sure.
The "valve discussion" is super common on Spyderlovers and this thread reminded me of that same ongoing, random discussion. Seems that everyone I've read about checking, has done no adjustments and some even question if the dealer even checked them.... Pretty common to see 25k +/- mile bikes over there too. I did check mine at 18k as I get bored in the winter, and they were well within spec and I don't plan on checking them again, ever. I can't remember the last time I read anything about anyone doing a adjustment or having any issues.
Some random beauty shots! :)
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1sOmiq6JzN710ie_6mTyDC1qtLUQDpLOB?usp=sharing
 
It's funny but Randy B on this forum iirc had his checked at 8,000 miles by his dealer and 12 of the 16 were supposedly out of adjustment. I have often wondered if his mechanic knew what he was doing, or if they just said that to justify charging him a bunch of money?

I'm at 69,000 miles, no checks or adjustments yet.
 
The ferret_imp said:
It's funny but Randy B on this forum iirc had his checked at 8,000 miles by his dealer and 12 of the 16 were supposedly out of adjustment. I have often wondered if his mechanic knew what he was doing, or if they just said that to justify charging him a bunch of money?

I'm at 69,000 miles, no checks or adjustments yet.
Thanks for pointing this out Ferret et all, thanks to this forum and collective entries from our understanding members we have gathered a slew of facts that guide the knowledge base of our bikes independent and some times in opposition to dealer's statements.

And of course there is no substitute for experience, thank you all.
 
The ferret_imp said:
It's funny but Randy B on this forum iirc had his checked at 8,000 miles by his dealer and 12 of the 16 were supposedly out of adjustment. I have often wondered if his mechanic knew what he was doing, or if they just said that to justify charging him a bunch of money?

I'm at 69,000 miles, no checks or adjustments yet.
Pretty easy to screw up, or 2nd guess due to the angles needed with engine in frame.

Of course when I did mine, it was completely different due to the new cams, everything changed much that I triple checked twice. ;)


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
Depending on a shop size, there might be 1-2 knowledgeable mechanics and usually a real professional is honest when diagnosing, pricing and doing his job.
If you have a professional like that = stick with him forever with your bike or car.
Don't let a stranger dig in your machine even at a discount price or for free, never!!
.
 
The ferret_imp said:
Hey Haystack, was wondering what mileage you were up to now. Wonder what the highest miles on a CB is? I think someone on here said t ng ey were over 130,000 not too long ago.
I guess itsme has ridden the most miles on his CB.
Round about 300.000km. He wrote a lot about his CB in the German CB-Forum. But a year ago or so he suddenly disappeared after having bought a second bike, an African Twin, because he crashed his CB and planned to rebuild it. There are no infos, if he did it or not. He let a valve check do every now and then but not too often as reported on his webpage, which seems to be somehow down these days.
 
Valve checks are often misunderstood by owners and possibly many dealer mechanics too. When a manufacturer gives a clearance range, say 0.14mm - 0.20mm they intend you to leave the shims well alone, if when measured, they are anywhere within that range including the outer limits. They are expecting another check at the next interval and have allowed for extra wear. They are not concerned on the next check if the value ends up at 0.12 or 0.23, they have allowed for this and that is when they expect you to change the shims.

There are plenty of owners and dealers who seem to think the middle value of 0.17 (in my example) is the ideal target gap and re-shim to that. Taking this approach will be the difference between taking the camshafts out every single service interval and possibly not taking them out for the next 100,000 miles.
 
I've read many posts that suggest, and some quoting garages regarding Hondas and any bike:

"Does it have difficultly starting and maintaining idle? Is there excessive top end noise? Does it backfire during acceleration/deceleration? If not, we'll reevaluate the service work maybe on the next visit."
 
The head tech at my shop who has been working on my bikes for 30 years says to go by symptoms as well. When I ask him if I should get them checked he asks... "Any unusual noises? Is it getting hard to start? Has your gas mileage gone down?" followed by "if you want I'll check them, but you are wasting your money"
 
Picked mine up Thursday evening. I had asked for a breakdown of the clearances when i dropped it off, but didn't get one. Everything was in spec, but they didn't say what the observed clearances were. Total was $875; had I known that ahead of time, I probably would have opted to do it myself.

Labor: 5 hours @ 129.00 $645.00
Parts: 126.52
Shop supplies 38.06
waste disposal 12.90
tax 52.23

Total $874.71
 
Back
Top