Checking valve clearances

Maturecheese_imp

First service completed
Thread starter
Just a quick question. I assume that checking the valve clearances involves removing the cam cover and using feeler gauges to check the clearances without removing anything like the camshafts as would be needed to replace them. I am asking as I want to know what is involved so that i can get some idea of what the cost is likely to be at my local dealer.
 
That is correct..

inspection requires cover removal and measuring clearances

valve shim adjustment requires camshaft removal and new shims
 
Thread starter
The ferret_imp said:
That is correct..

inspection requires cover removal and measuring clearances

valve shim adjustment requires camshaft removal and new shims

Thank you I thought that might be the case. In the spring I will be paying for a service so hopefully they can do this also.
 
Just be aware- even 'just' removing the cam cover- and taking the time to *correctly* measure all 16 valves- then reassemble is still a few hours work.

And depending on how many miles on your bike- I'm not a fan of reusing old rubber gaskets exposed to heat / expansion / contraction cycles. I'd replace the gasket.
 
PowerDubs_imp said:
Just be aware- even 'just' removing the cam cover- and taking the time to *correctly* measure all 16 valves- then reassemble is still a few hours work.

And depending on how many miles on your bike- I'm not a fan of reusing old rubber gaskets exposed to heat / expansion / contraction cycles. I'd replace the gasket.
I second these comments!
 
I have an appointment to get mine inspected on 12/8. The local dealer only has one service tech qualified to do it, and the labor rate for that type of work is $130/hour. I'll post a breakdown of the parts & labor cost when i get the bike back.
 
I have an appointment to maybe think about checking mine at some undetermined point in the future.
 
12milesout_imp said:
I have an appointment to get mine inspected on 12/8. The local dealer only has one service tech qualified to do it, and the labor rate for that type of work is $130/hour. I'll post a breakdown of the parts & labor cost when i get the bike back.

Sadly if it were my decision- if you couldn't do that job- you don't qualify as a service tech. <-- period.

Compared to things in the top / bottom end where clearances and attention to detail are critical... this is simplistic.
 
Just a thought, you could take it in before spring. They are not very busy now and will be swamped in the spring. Everyone wants their bike ready at once the the weather breaks.
I used to do side work and everyone things they are your only customer. Part of the reason i stopped.

Otherwise your question has been answered above. It does take time to do even if no shimming is needed. TM
 
DrewNJ_imp said:
I have a feeling that my valves will never get checked ....
... because a future sale of the bike is in order?

Valve checking intervals in practice appears to be quite long for many owners.
 
I haven't checked mine, I'm coming up on 120,000 miles now......
4cbd3616e2629457f3f3d859897f6500.png


Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk
 
GoldOxide_imp said:
DrewNJ_imp said:
I have a feeling that my valves will never get checked ....
... because a future sale of the bike is in order?

Valve checking intervals in practice appears to be quite long for many owners.
... because a future sale of the bike is in order?

Valve checking intervals in practice appears to be quite long for many owners.
Similar to my can-am. Seems like they just don't tighten up all that quick.
 
DrewNJ_imp said:
GoldOxide_imp said:
DrewNJ_imp said:
I have a feeling that my valves will never get checked ....
... because a future sale of the bike is in order?

Valve checking intervals in practice appears to be quite long for many owners.
... because a future sale of the bike is in order?

Valve checking intervals in practice appears to be quite long for many owners.
Similar to my can-am. Seems like they just don't tighten up all that quick.
... because .....
Valve checking intervals in practice appears to be quite long for many owners.
Similar to my can-am. Seems like they just don't tighten up all that quick.
DrewNJ, would be interested to know what year and model of Can-Am you own, mileage, any problems with yours and others??
Pics, please.
 
MMC_imp said:
I haven't checked mine, I'm coming up on 120,000 miles now......
4cbd3616e2629457f3f3d859897f6500.png


Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk
Mine has run 72.000km without a valve check. Still don't plan one. Up to 120.000 miles I have to ride a very long way without a check but will do so.
 
Mine were checked at 15,000 miles all in spec and now with 125,950 miles it still runs great! No plan to have them checked again.
 
Back
Top