valkanut_imp
First service completed
Thread starter
hi, is wd 40 good to use for the chain ?
Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.
Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.
thanks redbird.redbirds_imp said:WD-40 can be a great chain cleaner but should be dried off afterwards and a proper chain lube applied. I prefer the dry wax chain lubes as they don't fling off nor attract grit that can act as an abrasive on the chain and sprockets.
Best chain lube around, for me anyway.
Tirox Chain Wax Review - webBikeWorld
+1, kerosene is great for cleaning.lemontree_imp said:Any chain wax is good but for chain cleaning - nothing beats kero!
Try making a short extension on the chain guard with duct tape.AndyHe_imp said:I do the same as JustPassinThru but I need to get a better lube as it gets thrown on to the rear wheel as I ride and makes a mess.
How does the lube get to the rest of the chain? :huh:Motogeezer1949_imp said:Remember, you don't need very much lube. Depending what your using, applying it to a 4" to 6" section of chain works pretty well.
Keeps the chain a lot cleaner too.
How does the lube get to the rest of the chain? :huh:JustPassinThru_imp said:Try making a short extension on the chain guard with duct tape.AndyHe_imp said:I do the same as JustPassinThru but I need to get a better lube as it gets thrown on to the rear wheel as I ride and makes a mess.
It doesn't need to be very long. An inch is enough.
I discovered this with my first bike, a Yamaha R5C. Lubricated the chain on Sunday; took it to work on Monday. I worked in an office in those days; and had a dress shirt on. Which of course got splattered and ruined.
I subsequently ruined another shirt and two coats, before I saw the chain guard was just too short. Using a piece of a pop can and one sheet-metal screw and drill, I extended the end an inch and a half. Problem solved forever.
Here, now, too, probably. I didn't wait to ruin a shirt before making this silver-tape extension. It's been on two months, still there; and when it falls off I'll make another in two minutes.
How does the lube get to the rest of the chain? :huh:Motogeezer1949_imp said:Remember, you don't need very much lube. Depending what your using, applying it to a 4" to 6" section of chain works pretty well.
Keeps the chain a lot cleaner too.
Wow, just cleaned my chain with Motul Chain Cleaner and a Grunge Brush , I should have done this sooner, looks nice, hope I don't become obsessed with having a clean chain nowHikerToo_imp said:I've been using Maxima Chain Wax at recommendation of dealer and have not had to clean my chain in 13K miles.....I apply it every 500 miles.
Amazon.com
Oh, and just found this, so maybe I will clean the chain, I already have the grunge brush just waiting...
Amazon.com
Amazon.com

Looks good. Obsessed? Come on, nobody on this forum is obsessed.HikerToo_imp said:Wow, just cleaned my chain with Motul Chain Cleaner and a Grunge Brush , I should have done this sooner, looks nice, hope I don't become obsessed with having a clean chain nowHikerToo_imp said:I've been using Maxima Chain Wax at recommendation of dealer and have not had to clean my chain in 13K miles.....I apply it every 500 miles.
Amazon.com
Oh, and just found this, so maybe I will clean the chain, I already have the grunge brush just waiting...
Amazon.com
Amazon.com
![]()
Looks good. Obsessed? Come on, nobody on this forum is obsessed.Pterodactyl_imp said:Looks good. Obsessed? Come on, nobody on this forum is obsessed.HikerToo_imp said:Wow, just cleaned my chain with Motul Chain Cleaner and a Grunge Brush , I should have done this sooner, looks nice, hope I don't become obsessed with having a clean chain nowHikerToo_imp said:I've been using Maxima Chain Wax at recommendation of dealer and have not had to clean my chain in 13K miles.....I apply it every 500 miles.
Amazon.com
Oh, and just found this, so maybe I will clean the chain, I already have the grunge brush just waiting...
Amazon.com
Amazon.com
![]()
Seriously though, go easy with the grung brush. It is possible to damage O-rings with them.
Cheers