Chain Lube

Thread starter
But is it as good as gear oil?
 
I'm just using a can on Honda branded chain spray. Allways assumed it was for rust prevention. And I always clean my chain at times of need. Amazing how touchy it gets when the chain isn't adjusted properly.
 
well, don't know if this is ok to post on the oiling chain tread, but, something weird happened to my chain, with 19000 km the X rings started to break, I don't know if it was because of my bad cleaning method, my choice of cleaning product, or the different oils I used
what I know is that I killed the X rings on a DID chain with only 19000 km
 
More info Motorat. What is your method and product?

Not acetone and a wire wheel I hope :)
 
For the CB I used Dupont Chainsaver ($7 at Walmart)
It is labeled"o-ring safe"
 
Lord Popgun_imp said:
More info Motorat. What is your method and product?

Not acetone and a wire wheel I hope :)
no wire wheel :-/, I used a small paint brush :cool:,
but the cleaning was done with something I thought to be petroleo, like the one used to light those old lamps, it's something I have at work, but probably is not what I thought it to bee.
not using that any more, just don't know what to use to remove the old dirt and grime out of the chain
 
Yeah, maybe that was it. Sounds like petroleo is what we in the US call kerosene.
 
SportsterDoc_imp said:
For the CB I used Dupont Chainsaver ($7 at Walmart)
It is labeled"o-ring safe"
I stocked up on the Dupont Teflon multi-purpose dry wax spray lube just before it was discontinued in favor of the Chainsaver.
I have two cans untouched and one in use so I'm going to continue with my usual routine regardless, as somebody said, even though I know now I may be wrong :D :D :D
 
Rocky_imp said:
SportsterDoc_imp said:
For the CB I used Dupont Chainsaver ($7 at Walmart)
It is labeled"o-ring safe"
I stocked up on the Dupont Teflon multi-purpose dry wax spray lube just before it was discontinued in favor of the Chainsaver.
I have two cans untouched and one in use so I'm going to continue with my usual routine regardless, as somebody said, even though I know now I may be wrong :D :D :D
I stocked up on the Dupont Teflon multi-purpose dry wax spray lube just before it was discontinued in favor of the Chainsaver.
I have two cans untouched and one in use so I'm going to continue with my usual routine regardless, as somebody said, even though I know now I may be wrong :D :D :D
Think I used the multi-purpose on other bikes.
Also o-ring safe
 
Rocky_imp said:
SportsterDoc_imp said:
For the CB I used Dupont Chainsaver ($7 at Walmart)
It is labeled"o-ring safe"
I stocked up on the Dupont Teflon multi-purpose dry wax spray lube just before it was discontinued in favor of the Chainsaver.
I have two cans untouched and one in use so I'm going to continue with my usual routine regardless, as somebody said, even though I know now I may be wrong :D :D :D
I stocked up on the Dupont Teflon multi-purpose dry wax spray lube just before it was discontinued in favor of the Chainsaver.
I have two cans untouched and one in use so I'm going to continue with my usual routine regardless, as somebody said, even though I know now I may be wrong :D :D :D
I have been rolling over my ol' cans of Dupont Chainsaver to my hedge trimmers. :-/
 
Great video. The owner's manuals from my ex-1970 CB750K0 and ex-1978 CB750F2 both recommend using 80/90 gear oil. I guess some things never change.
 
LongRanger_imp said:
Great video. The owner's manuals from my ex-1970 CB750K0 and ex-1978 CB750F2 both recommend using 80/90 gear oil. I guess some things never change.
Yep, I did not like cleanig oil off the rim of my '76.
One advantage of modern wax based spray is no fling.

Not an issue on the V7II or either Sportster!
 
SportsterDoc_imp said:
LongRanger_imp said:
Great video. The owner's manuals from my ex-1970 CB750K0 and ex-1978 CB750F2 both recommend using 80/90 gear oil. I guess some things never change.
Yep, I did not like cleanig oil off the rim of my '76.
One advantage of modern wax based spray is no fling.

Not an issue on the V7II or either Sportster!
Yep, I did not like cleanig oil off the rim of my '76.
One advantage of modern wax based spray is no fling.

Not an issue on the V7II or either Sportster!
Shaft. Now you're talkin' (V7).
 
LongRanger_imp said:
Great video. The owner's manuals from my ex-1970 CB750K0 and ex-1978 CB750F2 both recommend using 80/90 gear oil. I guess some things never change.
And a great shaft drive!
If only the fueling worked as good as my EFI Triumph, Yamaha and Honda.
 
I lamented the passing of the old formula DuPont lube. Cheap and plentiful at Walmart.

Might switch to Tirox when my Maxima supply is exhausted, but took me quite a while to get the Grease Monkey to work just right with their can...

Had to scroll back up to see your post, Nortoon. Nobody here sells it on the shelf that I’ve found.
 
Gone in 60_imp said:
I lamented the passing of the old formula DuPont lube. Cheap and plentiful at Walmart.

Might switch to Tirox when my Maxima supply is exhausted, but took me quite a while to get the Grease Monkey to work just right with their can...

Had to scroll back up to see your post, Nortoon. Nobody here sells it on the shelf that I’ve found.
I Googled and a number of Canadian Stores popped up. Grabbed the tin and found it is made in Canada. Found this on the Tirox website.
 
Thanks, Nortoon. Found it online in plenty of places. I'd like to find a can on a local shelf, but I can order it easily enough. Have two Cycle Gear stores near me, but it's a special order item for them. Would kind of like to see what the nozzle looks like and if I can easily adapt my semi-custom Grease Monkey setup to their can, not that it would be a deal breaker.
 
There are a number of ways of limiting the mess from spray cans.
I found a plastic tube from another spray can that fit in the Tirox nozzle.
Lemmy's method of laying the tube straight down the chain rollers works well.
The chain links keep the tube in place.
I use a piece of cardboard behind the chain to catch the excess when spraying the outside links.
Have not found a clean way for the insides links yet.
Fortunately the clear wax seems to last longer than messy black greases and lubes.
 
Back
Top