Chain lube frequency?

My Bel Ray can says BLUE TAC CHAIN LUBE, O-X-Z RING SAFE.

Its the ultimate chain lube--must be, says so right on the can! :)
 
I really like whatever came on my chain from the dealer...but my question is - do our chains come from Honda already lubed, or does each specific dealer apply the initial application? I'd like to buy exactly what is on it now. Seemingly good stuff...has a slightly white color to it, but it hasn't flung much, and doesn't attract dirt from what I can tell.
 
They come prelubed probably not from Honda, but from the chain manufacturer.
 
There are several brands of spray chain cleaners that are proven safe for O-ring chains. Park your bike over a dirt surface up on it's center stand and spray the chain clean while you spin the rear wheel. While it's wet with the chain cleaner spin the chain through a chain cleaning brush (about $7 from Cycle Gear). After brushing it wet I spray it down once more with the cleaner to wash away whatever the brush worked loose. Let it dry for about 15 minutes and then spray it with an O-ring chain lube. Again, let it sit for 15 minutes and then ride. After my first ride I use degreaser on a rag to wipe off whatever flung off onto the rear wheel and then you're good to go. 500 mile intervals are good because it's easy to keep track of. All the best.

Chip
 
did anyone get that new honda chain lube with the white graphite in it.? i guess mine came with it on the chains when she rolled out from the dealer.. white in color..
 
wildezt_imp said:
did anyone get that new honda chain lube with the white graphite in it.? i guess mine came with it on the chains when she rolled out from the dealer.. white in color..
I think that's just bog-standard lithium grease.
 
I clean my chain with Simple Green, liberally applied, and a rag. Spray the entire chain, then slowly go through each section of the chain, re-spraying and cleaning with the rag until complete. Let dry (about 20-30 minutes, probably takes less time, especially in the desert here, but I believe in the 2x rule for time). Then I liberally apply Honda chain lube, wipe the excess, and I'm done. The thing I like about the Honda chain lube is it never flings any anywhere. I've got about 18k miles on my CBR's chain with this process and it's still got a ways to go before it's stretched to the point of replacement. The chain itself looks brand new.
 
I use DU PONT Teflon Chain Saver buy it by the case at Lowes. I lube every 300mi & you can go much longer between cleaning. The chain never gets dirty. I use kerosene to clean with a chain brush usually every oil change. I have 32,000mi on my XX Blackbird & still has the original chain.
 
I use Chain Cleaner Degreser by Motorex, wipe it off with a rag and use PJ1 BLUE LABEL chain lube. The Can says "Won't Fly Off" but this is not true. The stuff flies everywhere, back wheel gets full of gunk. I even find some on the seat and tail light. Not sure if this is normal. I'll try using some of the other products mentioned here. Maintenance was so much easier on the shaft drive Magna.
 
ChipBeck_imp said:
There are several brands of spray chain cleaners that are proven safe for O-ring chains. Park your bike over a dirt surface up on it's center stand and spray the chain clean while you spin the rear wheel. While it's wet with the chain cleaner spin the chain through a chain cleaning brush (about $7 from Cycle Gear). After brushing it wet I spray it down once more with the cleaner to wash away whatever the brush worked loose. Let it dry for about 15 minutes and then spray it with an O-ring chain lube. Again, let it sit for 15 minutes and then ride. After my first ride I use degreaser on a rag to wipe off whatever flung off onto the rear wheel and then you're good to go. 500 mile intervals are good because it's easy to keep track of. All the best.

Chip
G'day Chip,

That is my routine also. In addition I clean and lube after significant rain and/or dirt and gravel. Have found MOTUL brand to be very effective, if a tad expensive. MOTUL is also well reviewed in comparison tests by the appropriate "Gurus".

Cheers
 
I've been using Maxima chain wax for quite a while, usually every 300-400 miles or so. It works great, it's safe for o-rings, and nothing ever flings off (it dries a few minutes after applied). It really doesn't attract much dirt or grime at all, so the chain actually stays very clean, but every once in a while, I clean the chain & rear sprocket with kerosene, which doesn't seem to have caused any effects to the o-rings at all.
 
My home is 1 mile from the first pavement and the road is usually quite sandy which means more frequent chain maintenance. The best lube I've found for not attracting sand is the Dupont Chain Lube at Lowes. It's far cheaper than the sprays that are motorcycle specific also. I clean the chain with kerosene, blow it out and dry with an air hose and rags and then lube.
 
There is a company called Scoot Works that makes various belt drive conversions. I've seen pics of such a conversion to a late model Triumph Bonnie.

The old Buells used belt drive of course with a tensioner pulley I think. The limited rear suspension travel of most cruiser bikes works well with a belt drive but as suspension travel becomes greater, there is a need for a way to keep an even tension on the belt to prevent slippage.
 
Deanohh_imp said:

It's called... a BELT! And I wish the CB had one. I've never had to do anything to the belt on my HD... it's 10 years old with 22000 miles on it. And... the rear wheel stays clean! What a concept.
after the fourth belt broke on my Harley,(and they never broke at a convenient place or time) I put a chain on it. That was in the 90's... Maybe the belts nowadays are better than they were then.
I once thoughts belts were the way to go too but after dealing with the PITA rear wheel removal / installation and subsequent belt adjustment / alignment on my Triumph Thunderbird 1600 cruiser, I'll never buy a belt driven bike again.

I still like to pull my own wheels for tire changes and my three old Hondas are a comparative joy to work on for rear wheel removal including sproket and chain replacement thanks to the built in center stands as well as make chain cleaning and lube a snap IMO.

Don't get me wrong, a properly adjusted belt will last a long time and may be easier to deal with on other makes than my Triumph but for me I can still live with a chain...especially on machines like the CB1100 and her numerous ancestors :biker:
 
Back
Top