Chain lube frequency?

Michael252_imp

First service completed
Thread starter
Hey guys, maybe you can help with this.
Assuming "normal" riding conditions (normal in this case means no riding in the rain or no dusty dirt roads), how often do you apply chain lube?

Thanks
 
Me about every 500 miles, but I don't ride in dirt or rain if I can help it. If I did that would require cleaning and extra lubing. Just turned over 1300 miles, lubed for second time with BelRay Super Clean chain lube after my ride yesterday.

I got 30,000 miles out of my last 530 oring chain.
 
The ferret_imp said:
Me about every 500 miles, but I don't ride in dirt or rain if I can help it. If I did that would require cleaning and extra lubing. Just turned over 1300 miles, lubed for second time with BelRay Super Clean chain lube after my ride yesterday.

I got 30,000 miles out of my last 530 oring chain.
+1
 
I do about 10% riding on dirt and gravel and got caught out in a thunderstorm yesterday.

Question - how best to clean the chain? Power washer on low setting/ several inches from the chain so as not to damage anything?
 
CB4ME_imp said:
I do about 10% riding on dirt and gravel and got caught out in a thunderstorm yesterday.

Question - how best to clean the chain? Power washer on low setting/ several inches from the chain so as not to damage anything?
I used to wet a rag with kerosene and wipe the chain the best I could. I'm probably being paranoid but I'd be afraid that using a power washer, even on low, would push dirt down into the links and past the o rings.
 
I don't know that kerosene is the best bet for the o-rings.
 
Randy B_imp said:
I don't know that kerosene is the best bet for the o-rings.
Oops. I don't know why I said kerosene. I meant to say oil with just enough gasoline mixed in to cut through the gunk.
 
It's not a bad degreaser, but it will eat up the O-rings and drastically shorten the life of the chain.
 
There's some argument about it, but I've used WD40 sprayed liberally on the chain of my dual sport bikes to clean them. One seemingly well-informed opinion I read said that so long as the O-rings are intact, the WD40 won't harm them. If they're not intact, well, you have larger problems than what kind of cleaning agent you're using. I've also read about some daring types who use only WD40 on their chains and get normal to better than average wear from them. My opinion is that these modern chains are so much better than the old chains that even abject neglect won't harm them too much.

I spray mine with the WD40, let the bulk of it drip off via gravity, then dry the rest of it with compressed air. Then go for a ride and apply lube. I will only use the WD40 method very occasionally on a road bike like the CB1100.

Bottom line is I don't get too worked up about the cleanliness of my chain, but if I get a lot of build-up on it, then I will take the time to clean it, but am not too interested in spending too much time on it. YMMV. :shy:
 
Scooby I kinda have to agree, if you didn't ride in dirty or wet conditions I'll bet you could get 25,000 miles out of a chain without doing anything to it other than an adjustment once in awhile as long as you didn't over tighten it.
 
No doubt that's possible, ferret. I will, however, lube mine lightly around every 500 miles just for peace of mind. I doubt any of us CB1100 owners could stand to neglect our chain for too long, lol.
 
Deanohh_imp said:
Randy B_imp said:
It's not a bad degreaser, but it will eat up the O-rings and drastically shorten the life of the chain.
and you know this because........
and you know this because........
Drop some rubber into gasoline or kerosene and see how long it will last.
Even in the owners manual it is very specific on not using gasoline or other harsh solvents to clean the chain because they will damage the O-rings.
 
I did some research on this years ago and came away with kerosene as being my choice for cleaning O-ring chains. I might have to look into this topic once again.
 
The Complete Guide to Chain

Copyright 1995-2006 by the Tsubakimoto Chain Co.

provides information about o ring and motorcycle chains. Including:

"O-ring seals are usually made of acrylonitrile-butadiene rubber, which is highly resistant to oil, heat, and abrasion."

"The life of O-ring chain is usually determined by the durability of the O-ring. To improve the durability, there should be an oil film on the O-ring at all times. Even though it is a sealed chain, lubrication is required to extend the working life of the O-ring. Cleaning sprays may cause deterioration of the O-rings. Do not allow chains to air dry after washing, or to rust."
 
To do it by the book, clean with non-flammable or high flash point solvent and wipe dry. Lubricate with 80/90 gear oil or drive chain lubricant specified for o-ring chains. Wipe off excess. Ref. shop manual, p. 3-19. I like the Bel Ray super clean lube myself, about every 500 mi. after 1200 mi, I have not seen the need for a cleaning. My Bel Ray can says safe for o-rings, but does not say it is made for it.
 
another Bel Ray user here

my last chain bike I used the DuPont Teflon stuff and only got 18000 miles out of it

several links froze up I will stick with Bel Ray on this one
 
I lube my chains between 300 and 500 miles when I remember the need. In the past I used Bel Ray Super Clean but lately I have been using the Dupont General Purpose Teflon. The Bel Ray worked well providing good chain life but I noticed that grit would accumulate in the lub. I cleaned it with kerosene (which I believe is a light weight oil and not a solvent like gasoline) dried it with a rag and relubed it. I switched to the Dupont lub after seeing others use it and noticed how their chains always looked clean with no accumulation of grit. The Dupont leaves a clear thin coating of lub on the chain. As to longevity, some of our local MSTA (Motorcycle Sport Touring Association) members are using it with good success. One VStrom 1000 rider got 30,000+ miles out of his chain. Another Yamaha FZ6 rider got 50,000+ out of hers! Well, in the final analysis I don't think it matters too much which system you use as long as you keep the chain clean and lubed. I guess I am looking for the least messy method.
 
Back
Top