CB's max weight

Zion is awesome. Too bad you can’t take your vehicle up the canyon anymore, unless you’re staying at the lodge.

We featured Zion on the 2002 Baby Butt 1000 route (SS1000) but most riders didn’t get there until after dark.
 
Inhouse Bob_imp said:
bflint_imp said:
Inhouse Bob_imp said:
I don't see the kitchen sink, but I'm sure it's there somewhere :thumbsup:
Great photo of the hills, too!
Mr Ferret also made that observation several years ago .. so I will have to quote you both now. FYI, the pretty pic is in Zion Utah.
Mr Ferret also made that observation several years ago .. so I will have to quote you both now. FYI, the pretty pic is in Zion Utah.
Well, since I must have inadvertently plagiarized his original work, you can just continue to quote Mr. Ferret.
When are we having a rally in Utah, folks??
I'm game for whenever. I live in Utah. I believe Frulk is here, too. The member map also shows someone named Chad in Salt Lake City and James T Kirk apparently keeps the Enterprise in Moab, but I can't find either on the forum. There will be great riding in Southern Utah--Bryce, Zion, etc.--starting in March/April. The canyons in Northern Utah will be a few weeks later. If there's enough interest in Utah, I'll help in whatever capacity I can.
 
For those hoping to ride to Utah via Colorado in March/April, crossing the Rockies by motorcycle that time of year is iffy at best and downright impossible at worst. Lots of alternatives to get to the Beehive State that time of year but I wouldn’t count on a ride through the mountains then — those are our snowiest months.
 
Just to get back on Mr j3gq's inquiry, I have taken a couple passengers on my CB1100DX ... once in Zion UT for about 30 miles up/down the mountain roads and once with my sister-in-law (bucket list thing for her) on surface streets. The two-up ride felt very different and somewhat uncomfortable for me. I guess it was partly because of the added weight and lack of backrest (eg passenger had to hang on to me the driver), but the passengers didn't ride with me long enough to sync our body motions in the turns. Just felt awkward from a balance perspective. Other than that, bike had plenty of power for 2-up going up and down the mountain.
 
bflint_imp said:
Just to get back on Mr j3gq's inquiry, I have taken a couple passengers on my CB1100DX ... once in Zion UT for about 30 miles up/down the mountain roads and once with my sister-in-law (bucket list thing for her) on surface streets. The two-up ride felt very different and somewhat uncomfortable for me. I guess it was partly because of the added weight and lack of backrest (eg passenger had to hang on to me the driver), but the passengers didn't ride with me long enough to sync our body motions in the turns. Just felt awkward from a balance perspective. Other than that, bike had plenty of power for 2-up going up and down the mountain.
Yeah, the harder the passenger tries to be a good passenger, the more off-keel they tend to feel.

The best passengers I find tend to be the ones that don't hang on to anything and have no backrest. Kinda weird - and scary.
 
My wife has ridden with me a few times on the CB1100. I hardly notice she's there until I have to stop. Particularly on a steep-ish descent, the brakes have to work a deal harder than with one person only on the bike. I don't find it surprising at all. I also carry a fair load when camping on tour. It certainly weighs the back down, but I must be used to it as I find the bike handles OK. I guess it would be better without gear, but it's a price for touring. Isn't it?
 
Cormanus_imp said:
My wife has ridden with me a few times on the CB1100. I hardly notice she's there until I have to stop. Particularly on a steep-ish descent, the brakes have to work a deal harder than with one person only on the bike. I don't find it surprising at all. I also carry a fair load when camping on tour. It certainly weighs the back down, but I must be used to it as I find the bike handles OK. I guess it would be better without gear, but it's a price for touring. Isn't it?
Yeah, no denying the law of physics when stopping hard.

= = =

On a different bike with no back rest I once went over a significant freeway bump. My wife (then girlfriend) who doesn't like to hold on left the saddle and passenger foot pegs.

>>> A cold chill went down my spine. <<<




She landed back in place; then held onto me for the rest of the day.

(I think I also got a rear flat tire 30 minutes later.)
 
I am not the person to overload the bike as I don't really have where to go touring and I'm not a fan of camping - forgive me. However riding with a pillion is something I am very accustomed to, as my wife goes out with me very often, and I what I found from those experiences is that bikes that put her up high severely impact her comfort and she keeps on moving around, which in return impacts my comfort and the way bike handles. CB1100 isn't the best when it comes to this, and having more space and a backrest is definitely looked upon favorably. She is definitely more comfortable that on our old Speed Triple, but much less than on the California (pic attached)
Did I mention I absolutely hate getting head-butted by a pillion?
Then again, some motorcycles can be affected negatively by the change in geometry when loading the rear axle, and I reckon that is a thing to consider when loading up. Brakes are also affected by increase in weight, and that's just physics.
So to conclude, if loading up - make sure the subframe can handle the load, adjust tire pressure, adjust suspension settings, balance out the loading, and adjust your road speed to accommodate for slower braking.

'14 CB1100 STD 5 speed
 
AU2O3, there's a t-shirt you can buy that says, on the back, words to the effect of "If you can read this, she's fallen off"

It's good your wife did not!
 
tod.branko_imp said:
I am not the person to overload the bike as I don't really have where to go touring and I'm not a fan of camping - forgive me. However riding with a pillion is something I am very accustomed to, as my wife goes out with me very often, and I what I found from those experiences is that bikes that put her up high severely impact her comfort and she keeps on moving around, which in return impacts my comfort and the way bike handles. CB1100 isn't the best when it comes to this, and having more space and a backrest is definitely looked upon favorably. She is definitely more comfortable that on our old Speed Triple, but much less than on the California (pic attached)
Did I mention I absolutely hate getting head-butted by a pillion?
Then again, some motorcycles can be affected negatively by the change in geometry when loading the rear axle, and I reckon that is a thing to consider when loading up. Brakes are also affected by increase in weight, and that's just physics.
So to conclude, if loading up - make sure the subframe can handle the load, adjust tire pressure, adjust suspension settings, balance out the loading, and adjust your road speed to accommodate for slower braking.

'14 CB1100 STD 5 speed
Thanks for the pic, Tod. Man, I love the long low look of the Californias.
 
My wife has been riding with me for 47 years. All over the US, Canada, Europe. She is an awesome passenger. Never inputs the bike. Started riding 2 up on a 73 RD 350 in November 1972, and still loves riding on the 2018 FJR as recently as last week. Due to some medical issues she can't do long distance trips anymore, but still loves a 50 mile curvy country road ride.

bd58d96f1445019d30b645121d5dcbe3.jpg


20a1e44f532e23dc7d1266fe0904db83.jpg


d86fa0e0cc64a9ec16ae87e5750579c2.jpg


She doesn't like riding the CB though..too small
 
Thread starter
@ Mr and Mrs Ferret,
47 years on the bike together, Aloha! I think this counts for at least 60 years of a diamond riding (wedding) anniversary. Congratulations. BTW I can see that in 47 years she has never been a ATGATT proponent.
 
The ferret_imp said:
My wife has been riding with me for 47 years. All over the US, Canada, Europe. She is an awesome passenger. Never inputs the bike. Started riding 2 up on a 73 RD 350 in November 1972, and still loves riding on the 2018 FJR as recently as last week. Due to some medical issues she can't do long distance trips anymore, but still loves a 50 mile curvy country road ride.

bd58d96f1445019d30b645121d5dcbe3.jpg


20a1e44f532e23dc7d1266fe0904db83.jpg


d86fa0e0cc64a9ec16ae87e5750579c2.jpg


She doesn't like riding the CB though..too small
Absolutely awesome
6f7a4df93a313cf04879d02e8f260b82.png
f14bac745c1040e7006a7971058cd2c9.png
b7e6734537fb120c1fdf33c7538a40b2.png
91d5afc6e844dc4574bbf0c762b8d6b2.png


What would be even more awesome? - if you still owned that Kawasaki
ed921e8bfe02b982bdac6ee7292f04bc.png
8a4ebfb5b6996476b113050031b40fcd.png
0db4069b834493f4a5af8062ce3fd413.png
b77c22e77c0e027f74c4fe37c6e3252f.png


'14 CB1100 STD 5 speed
 
The ferret_imp said:
My wife has been riding with me for 47 years. All over the US, Canada, Europe. She is an awesome passenger. Never inputs the bike. Started riding 2 up on a 73 RD 350 in November 1972, and still loves riding on the 2018 FJR as recently as last week. Due to some medical issues she can't do long distance trips anymore, but still loves a 50 mile curvy country road ride.

bd58d96f1445019d30b645121d5dcbe3.jpg


20a1e44f532e23dc7d1266fe0904db83.jpg


d86fa0e0cc64a9ec16ae87e5750579c2.jpg


She doesn't like riding the CB though..too small
Absolutely a good news legacy.

I see she dumped the flip-flops for riding. :)
 
Back
Top