CB1100 get's a Spa Day

Frulk_imp

Road warrior
Thread starter
Raining and cold/windy outside. decided I'd make use of the time by cleaning the bike from head to toe in anticipation of the impending riding season.

Wiped the entire bike down with baby wipes...cheap/non caustic and gets all the surface dirt off the bike without going through clean towels or more expensive Armor All cleaning wipes. For the tougher stuff I sprayed Armor All cleaner on the baby wipes and worked those areas over. Saves a ton of money.

Then applied a light coat of 'medium' rubbing compound with light pressure to the tank to get the surface swirls out. While that was drying I used some Mercury (as in boat) Cowl Finishing Compound product number (92-859026K) on the Dart Fly Screen. This stuff works wonders on the black Mercury plastic motor cowls (takes out the swirls and minor scratches).

While all that was drying I started on the wheels doing the surface cleaning again with the baby wipes and applying the chrome polish to the exhaust and fenders/mirrors/blinkers using the wipes.

Now thinking about running to the local auto parts store and picking up some stronger cleaner for the headers. They have flecks of rust I'd like to at least work over a little if not totally remove.

0a986ec08e57c76e69cd297449322423.jpg
 
wow can I send mine over?
 
Nice job... I had it on my agenda for this weekend.. But went to my folks for the rest of my birthday week celebration. Nice looking garage! Thanks for the tips


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
Baby wipes? Why not just hose it down and wash. Maybe too cold for the hose yet? I know some people are against spraying the bike with water but Ive been doing it for years with a good soap with carnuba wax in it and blowing all the water off with a blower then hand waxing.
 
Can you please tell your bike to keep this between you, it and the garage door. I don't want my CB thinking this is normal treatment...
 
I use an air nozzle too after washing my bikes. Fairly low pressure. Its pretty impressive how much water goes flying out of the crooks and crannies. Then I stick my air mover on an upside down five gallon bucket about five feet away and set it on low for about 20 minutes. I am trying to avoid scratches.
uscgmac_imp said:
Baby wipes? Why not just hose it down and wash. Maybe too cold for the hose yet? I know some people are against spraying the bike with water but Ive been doing it for years with a good soap with carnuba wax in it and blowing all the water off with a blower then hand waxing.
 
I like to use the leaf blower to get all the water off first then dry with a drying cloth. I think its called a chami or chamile cloth or something like that. Sometimes ill use the air compressor to blow out the water. They both do a great job getting all the water out of those places you can never reach or see.
I could spring for one of those expensive bike dryers that blow hot air, i heard they work real well but are very expensive.
 
Chamois
 
Peeled off one of these

 
I use spray wax and a terrycloth towel. 15 mins later it's pretty clean. I used to use water and will sometimes use water on the wheels and brakes but i tend to keep it away from the switches.
 
Cormanus,

Your ride has cool handlebars! :P
 
Lord Popgun_imp said:
Cormanus,

Your ride has cool handlebars! :P
Yep. Runs on 100% unleaded, bites hard on idiots and I can wipe things down with it.
 
Put them on when I'm riding.
 
Back
Top