CB1100 Comparison

spakins_imp

First service completed
Thread starter
CB Owners, Looking to purchase soon and wanted to get some impressions on how important the 6-speed and throttle response improvements on the '14 is compared with the '13 model, from an performance perspective.

I think both years are very attractive and I don't do a lot of long distance rides.

There are several used '13 I can get for 2-3K less than a '14 and, if the performance difference is negligible, I'd probably stick with a '13. Having said that, I don't mind spending extra for performance if it's noticeable.

I searched the forum and couldn't find much from a true comparison stand point (someone who has saddle time on both machines).

Appreciate any advice you are willing to offer. Thanks
 
Welcome spakins and good luck with your decision. There's a couple of members who have owned both; even a couple who own both, so you should get some good advice from them.

I'm in Australia and I have a 2011 model (pretty much the 2013). I've done a bit of long distance riding on it and found it an excellent bike. Maybe the 6th gear would add something, but it would not be a game changer for me if I had the option of the 2014 model.
 
I can say this much. I love the gearing of the 14 standard right out of the box. If you do a lot of highway travel, I would recommend a 14' model. If not, stick with a 13' or older and save a few pennies.
 
Ferret has owned both and I'm sure he'll chime in. I have only ridden the DLX once and I noticed no difference in performance other than it was much smoother at speed in 6th. Pretty sure they geared the 6 speed to accelerate like the 5 speed, but again, there are people who will comment that know more than I.
 
I have 8000 miles on each. You wouldn't notice a difference unless you rode both back to back. Few hundred less rpms on the freeway in 6th on the 14, a few more miles out of the tank. The differences are mostly cosmetic. The 14 dlx does have ABS std if that's important to you, and you could conceivably find one of the 13s that had the optional ABS. If not save the jingle for upgrades you may be interested in and get the 13.
 
I think they are tuned the same. The 14, in theory, should be slower due to the extra weight it carries. But she is governed to 112mph so you'll never see the difference unless you have the ECU reflashed. In the real world there is little need for that.

Four into two looks better, but is a hassle when dealing with the chain and tires. Six speeds would be very nice for longer trips over 70mph.

In many ways it's a flip of the coin. Kinda depends on which one you like the looks of better. Either bike (in red...... :D ) look dang good.
 
On reflection, I want to vary what I said before.

If I had no CB1100 and a choice between 2013 and 2014 models and money wasn't an object, I'd probably go with the 2014 model. But it would have more to do with the aesthetics of the DLX and the ABS brakes than the number of gears or performance. At the risk of bringing on metallyguitarted's apoplexy, I'm with the Ferret on the question of symmetry.

However, the DLX hadn't been invented when I bought my CB1100 and hasn't come to Australia, so it was not an option. If that changed, I doubt I'd trade.
 
I have both bikes. Second what Ferret says. 300rpm difference in 6th gear. Other than that I can't tell the difference other than 13 is a bit lighter to push around the garage


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
You could buy a DLX too, MG. Ease the pangs of envy a little.

No ... don't mention it ... happy to help a fellow member. :thumbsup:
 
I much prefer the black engine and the silver side cover, I don't need a 6th gear, runs perfectly fine with 5,
I saved a lot by going with a leftover 13!!
 
canyonwlf7_imp said:
I much prefer the black engine and the silver side cover, I don't need a 6th gear, runs perfectly fine with 5,
I saved a lot by going with a leftover 13!!
Same here. I couldn't ignore a '13 for $7010. I was a bit worried about only 5 gears, but that is a non issue. It never feels like it needs a 6th even on the slab. Very smooth. Now, don't get me started on the stupid gear indicator. All right, so nobody got me started....but here goes....Real motorcyclists don't need no stinkin gear indicator! Posers need a gear indicator! There, I got it off my chest. I feel a LOT better now, thank you! obligatory smilie: :D
 
Need? NO .... Like?. Very much so. ;)
 
I find myself shifting into non existant "6th" on my 2013. So yes, the six speed would be nice, but I can live without it. Money I saved on bike purchase were well spent on accessories! I rode a DLX at my dealer´s place and I agree it is smoother at speed, but performance wise the bikes are very much the same engine with same performance.
 
MG doesn't the 14 std have a gear indicator? I thought they had the same instrument package as the DLX?
 
metallyguitarded_imp said:
Confession.

More than once I've tried to shift into seventh. There, I said it. I feel so much better. Thank you.
I have little doubt that those who seek a 6th gear on a 5 speed do the same on their 6 speeds.:beerchug:
My last bike had a gear indicator, the handy benefit of it was knowing I was in 1st gear at a stop light.
 
Back
Top