CB Custom - Speedo/Tach Wiring Issues

What I said previously about mounting the speed sensor at the sprocket was a bad idea because the alignment will change when the chain is adjusted. It looks like the magnetic sensor comes with a bolt with a magnet in it's head to replace a rotor bolt. If that bolt is the wrong diameter you can buy different size bolts with magnets from Trail Tech.
 
Thread starter
pekingduck_imp said:
What I said previously about mounting the speed sensor at the sprocket was a bad idea because the alignment will change when the chain is adjusted. It looks like the magnetic sensor comes with a bolt with a magnet in it's head to replace a rotor bolt. If that bolt is the wrong diameter you can buy different size bolts with magnets from Trail Tech.
Yeah its too small. I may just find a replacement rear sensor all together. But the stock one in non magnetic and only has 2 wires and the aftermarket ones have 3. The Daytona one has two wires but ive tried many combos to catch the signal but nothing. Im considering the gps option now.
 
CafeBandit_imp said:
pekingduck_imp said:
What I said previously about mounting the speed sensor at the sprocket was a bad idea because the alignment will change when the chain is adjusted. It looks like the magnetic sensor comes with a bolt with a magnet in it's head to replace a rotor bolt. If that bolt is the wrong diameter you can buy different size bolts with magnets from Trail Tech.
Yeah its too small. I may just find a replacement rear sensor all together. But the stock one in non magnetic and only has 2 wires and the aftermarket ones have 3. The Daytona one has two wires but ive tried many combos to catch the signal but nothing. Im considering the gps option now.
Yeah its too small. I may just find a replacement rear sensor all together. But the stock one in non magnetic and only has 2 wires and the aftermarket ones have 3. The Daytona one has two wires but ive tried many combos to catch the signal but nothing. Im considering the gps option now. I would stick with the sensor they supplied since you know it should be compatible with the meter. Almost all other speed sensors do not use a magnetic pickup, and there is no standard diameter or length or bolt pattern. The sensor needs to be positioned where the magnet passes under the end, not the center. Air gap needs to be about 0.020" - 0.050".

Do you have a picture of your sensor mounting?
 
CafeBandit_imp said:
Do you guys know the firing order for the spark plugs or if theres a primary?
It's 1-2-4-3 as counted from the left when seated on the bike. But the firing order shouldn't matter here. When the instructions say "primary", it means the low voltage wire coming from the ECM to the coil. You could choose either coil, and it would be either blue/black on one or yellow/white on the other coil - not either of the black/whites.

In the RPM setup mode, PPR setting, it probably is the first choice, 1 spark per 1 revolution.
 
Thread starter
I will. My CB is far from stock and I guess it really bothers some people but I will try to post pics when it all put back together. I caught the rpm reading from the spark plug, and found a couple sensor mount options on the inside of the forks (right side).. never noticed them before. Hopefully that will line up and read correctly. Just need to swap out the bolt with a magnetic one. Already on order. Thank again, ive learned a lot reading your comments throught out this forum.
 
People around here are pretty helpful, CafeBandit. Sure, there may be some who won't like what you've done to the bike, but most of us will be interested to have a look. And it's your bike!
 
We already know your name CafeBandit, and we know your bike, you love is not an OEM classic...worry too much, don't be :shy:
 
CafeBandit_imp said:
I will. My CB is far from stock and I guess it really bothers some people but I will try to post pics when it all put back together. I caught the rpm reading from the spark plug, and found a couple sensor mount options on the inside of the forks (right side).. never noticed them before. Hopefully that will line up and read correctly. Just need to swap out the bolt with a magnetic one. Already on order. Thank again, ive learned a lot reading your comments throught out this forum.
No worries CB. You pour soul into the machine. The people who care will recognize that and will feel that passion.
 
Cafebandit that is done in good taste, it fits together quite well and i can see how other instruments would compliment that style.
Not what i would do but that's beside the point, i can appreciate good style independent of what i would like and it is by no means easy to bring a good looking product together but very easy to ruin it, just surprised by how many standard parts are retained and it still looks quite different.
 
CafeBandit, you know all those old derelict '70s CB750s out there with extended forks, pullback bars with Maltese Cross mirrors, swingarm struts, 16" rear wheels, highway pegs, King and Queen seats with bayonet sissy bars, and tanks with mural paint jobs?

Or the ones decked out with Windjammer fairings, crash bars, fat double-bucket seats, saddlebags and racks and trunks and drink-holders and every chrome gee-gaw that could be stuck on it?

Well, we're the generation that did all that, so, ain't nuthin' bad we can say about anyone else's bike. :D
 
Thread starter
peterbaron_imp said:
That one looks cool :thumbsup:
Thank you!
GoldOxide_imp said:
CafeBandit_imp said:
I will. My CB is far from stock and I guess it really bothers some people but I will try to post pics when it all put back together. I caught the rpm reading from the spark plug, and found a couple sensor mount options on the inside of the forks (right side).. never noticed them before. Hopefully that will line up and read correctly. Just need to swap out the bolt with a magnetic one. Already on order. Thank again, ive learned a lot reading your comments throught out this forum.
No worries CB. You pour soul into the machine. The people who care will recognize that and will feel that passion.
No worries CB. You pour soul into the machine. The people who care will recognize that and will feel that passion.
I agree 100%
max_imp said:
Cafebandit that is done in good taste, it fits together quite well and i can see how other instruments would compliment that style.
Not what i would do but that's beside the point, i can appreciate good style independent of what i would like and it is by no means easy to bring a good looking product together but very easy to ruin it, just surprised by how many standard parts are retained and it still looks quite different.
Thanks. Most wont believe how little ive spent on getting it to this point. Most of what you see is due to stripping it. Little paint here, vinyl wrap there. Mostly ebay stuff. A little creativity goes a long way on a small budget. Only time Ive taken it to the shop was for new tires. So its been a fun learning process. I only wanted to upgrade the tech little but keep that retro naked cafe look. Ive enjoyed it for almost 2 years now so its time to change things up rather than get another bike. Coming from a sportbike its still a lot of fun. I get a lot of compliments from street racers to bandidos. Not many cafe racers out here so its cool Im able to stand out.
pekingduck_imp said:
CafeBandit, you know all those old derelict '70s CB750s out there with extended forks, pullback bars with Maltese Cross mirrors, swingarm struts, 16" rear wheels, highway pegs, King and Queen seats with bayonet sissy bars, and tanks with mural paint jobs?

Or the ones decked out with Windjammer fairings, crash bars, fat double-bucket seats, saddlebags and racks and trunks and drink-holders and every chrome gee-gaw that could be stuck on it?

Well, we're the generation that did all that, so, ain't nuthin' bad we can say about anyone else's bike. :D
Lol I bet those were good times tho.. I probably wouldve been doing the same. Im sure my son will look back and think the same about what I think is cool. Hes in the garage learning with me and Im sure hes creating some crazy ideas for his future bikes.
 
Looks uber cool to me - a very modern take on the Cafe Racer culture that we all like.

Good luck with the speedo, I'm sure with everybody's help on here that you will get it working in the end.
 
Back
Top